2 questoions : Is it okay for your dog to fear objects?// how to teach beg?

So I left for vacation with my family about 3 weeks ago an I came back last week.

My aunt who had a husky before took care of jelly for me. I'm not sure if it's relevant but yeah. I walk Jelly everyday and trash people come every Monday and Thursday so Sunday an Wednesday night people bring their trash can out. I got jelly back on Wednesday and I walked her and I noticed that she cowers away from trash cans. She usually walks on my right and when we pass a trash can she either starts pulling and runs as fast as she can past it ( she never pulls so it is unusual) or she will go to my left and pull as far left as she can from it.

Should I be concerned with this behavior or is it okay for dogs to be scared of some things for example vacuum cleaners?

I do want to fix this though because I do train her while we walk and it's kind of hard since she doesn't listen when we are near a trash can which is every few yards hence unsuccessful day of training outside ): . I tried doing something a human would have to do; face your fears. I stood next to our trash can and made her sit next to me and she would stay still but I could tell she wanted to move. Once I gave her the command to move she'd bolt away.

She is fine with our trash can inside though. But that one is a lot smaller than the outside ones.

----------------------------

I started attempting to teach Jellybeg/sit pretty because I saw someone here post the pic of their dog and it was really cute :P so I started teaching Jelly but how do you guys get them to stay up? Jelly falls over after 1 or 2seconds :( like she'll fall on her side so it's not as cute ):

You should ask if something happened with a trash can when she was walking. Maybe she's afraid of them because something happened?

Are you feeling anxious when you walk by trash cans? That will just make the behaviour worse, as she senses your fear and then learns the cans are 'something to be feared for sure!'. Also, if you coddle her while she's cowering that'll reinforce the behaviour too.

As for the teaching how to beg part...I'm not entirely sure. Suka's one of the dogs that can do that sort of thing, but he 'came' with that trick when I adopted him.

I'd ask your aunt if something happened to make Jelly afraid of the cans. Perhaps help him to approach them so that you can reassure him that there is nothing to fear. But it would be best to know how this came about.

As far as the begging position, my girl just can't sit on her behind for any length of time....some can and it is cute though, but Ryn just can't. I believe it's because of her habit of sitting 'lazy' (on one cheek). That's something I need to address with her training.

Assuming my definition of coddle is correct, I don't pamper her. I just want her to man up. I don't even notice the trash cans when we walk. I just feel it in the pull and I look for what she's pulling away/towards if any. Hence I see trash cans and now when we walk pass them I firmly grip her leash so she can't run and calmly walk pass the trash can. :/

Im kind of scared to ask since they might think I'm trying to blame it on them but I'll ask the next time I see her.

[MENTION=95]BingBlaze'n'Skyla[/MENTION]:

Oh. You're the one I saw Skyla do it (:. So pretty. I have been doing what you said but I did it on tile . Did it take awhile for them to balance it because it's been maybe 2 days 10 min per day and she can still only hold for 1 or 2 seconds. I stopped letting her lean on my arm after the first day though. Did I go too fast?

A

@BingBlaze'n'Skyla:

Oh. You're the one I saw Skyla do it (:. So pretty. I have been doing what you said but I did it on tile . Did it take awhile for them to balance it because it's been maybe 2 days 10 min per day and she can still only hold for 1 or 2 seconds. I stopped letting her lean on my arm after the first day though. Did I go too fast?

skyla found it really difficult on tile/laminate , she couldnt find her balance , i found it easier to teach her how to do it on grass first n then once she got the balance she was fine doing in on hard flooring too

Ghost's been scared of vacuum cleaner and hair dryer. :D That's perfectly normal, Jelly's young and doesn't know it. He likes watching the vacuum cleaner when I use it though. But he almost refused to enter the building I live at when there was one on the floor of the entrance (the cleaning lady went away for a minute) and he went so far around it.

About the trash can, ask your aunt, or take Jelly to her place and see her reaction to your aunt's trash can if that is the evil source she'll bolt away. Anyhow, don't force her by having her sit next to it with you. :< Take your home trash can and place it next to a big one outside and tell Jelly it's okay and do some stuff around it, like play chase, or throw treats in the grass and each time throw it closer to your trash can and then to the other.. dunno :D

I stopped with the beg command because I don't think it's good for the joints of a pup but that's just me. :<

Oops meant to click like instead of thanks LOL darn small phone making me mis click :( anyways yeah he falls over a LOT but I never thought it was the tile -face palm-

Skyla always used 2 roll back on her bum or fall to the side lol now she's ok just needs to learn the balance first so the grass etc helps

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Assuming my definition of coddle is correct, I don't pamper her. I just want her to man up. I don't even notice the trash cans when we walk. I just feel it in the pull and I look for what she's pulling away/towards if any. Hence I see trash cans and now when we walk pass them I firmly grip her leash so she can't run and calmly walk pass the trash can. :/

Im kind of scared to ask since they might think I'm trying to blame it on them but I'll ask the next time I see her.

@BingBlaze'n'Skyla:

Just a suggestion, when you walk by the trash can don't change any of your behaviour. Just continue on walking, even that small tighter grip of the leash is telling the dog that there is something to be feared. Believe it or not, they can read the smallest of body language coming from you.

I started teaching Cally to sit pretty but we're still working on it... lol

If nothing unusual happened with a trash can, she may just be going through a fear stage. I would walk her up to a trash can and act really happy and pat the can and try to get her up to it to smell it. If she gets close, give her treats and tell her what a good girl she is. Just act really happy like trash cans are the most wonderful thing in the world! lol. After a while, she should get over that fear.

Blue is afraid of empy cardboard boxes, cuz a couple fell on his head once. He wasnt hurt, but it stuck. I ignore it.

As for beg, I though him by having his sit, holding a treat up a big and putting my arm out parallel to my chest so he can put his paws on it. It works, and now he looks funny when he gegs, paws go out to either side, very cute.