Anybody Canicross?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband doesn't race with Ozzy & Micah, but he trains with them - they are his partners when he is training for a marathon. He doesn't take both of them at the same time - Micah he runs for speed, and Ozzy for strength - Ozzy can plod on at a steady pace for miles. He says both of them together is just too difficult :) He does run them both on the beach together - but that is only about 2-3km.

The real Canicross(when u run with dog)is realllyyyyy hard.

In my country it is very popular DogTrekking. It is beautiful, do not need great condition. Many people with dogs, everyone has a paper route map to walk. between the start and finish is about 20 points (hidden). You must find as much as possible points. You must be a good on field orientation.The winner is not always the one who is the first on finish line.Unfortunately, in the UK it is not popular.:(

• 5 months later...

Cloud is turning a year old next month so I hope to do some jogging, biking, roller blading, whatever to get myself into shape. Then hopefully once Yuki is a year old or so we can do some cani-cross! I just wanna participate in some kind of event with her, I think it would be so much fun!

i do it now and again, when Stacey was down (in April before I was pregnant) I realised I had a puncture as we were about to take the dogs out. So Instead I stuck my belt on and ran with Grey. I was a heavy smoker, never run anywhere! But I managed the whole 5 mile trail we usually do with one rest stop (10mins) at the halfway point. 

I find it much easier to run when a dog is attached and in 'working mode', you just pick your feet up and they provide the forward movement lol

I wasnt even badly out of breath after running 5 miles (took us about an hour including the break), just a bit sore as I had twisted my ankle and gone over so had been limp running half the way!

Hoping to get into it properly once baby's here, atm just walking is uncomfortable, tried to jog with Grey the other day and it nearly killed me!

I'm just starting! Got my belt today so time to get cracking :)

Maybe it is a stupid question but I am completely new to all this equipement, so how does the walking belt work? Do you just attach your dog/s using their normal walking leads?

I'm just starting! Got my belt today so time to get cracking :) Maybe it is a stupid question but I am completely new to all this equipement, so how does the walking belt work? Do you just attach your dog/s using their normal walking leads?
The belt goes round your waist and around your legs so it doesn't move. Meeko wears a idc Julius k9 but best of all we Attach him with a half bungee lead which I think is amazing. Stopping any jolts and Meeko sudden acceleration lol.

Maybe it is a stupid question but I am completely new to all this equipement, so how does the walking belt work? Do you just attach your dog/s using their normal walking leads?

Yep walking belt like that. CaniX belt you have to step into and it's like a harness for people. Stops it riding up when you run :) I use a bungee lead for running D on belt or bike with a shoulder harness because he's pulling infront