Training your Husky According to your rules.

Hmmm...sorry I should have clarified...thanks for catching me on the head collar thing. Thank you for reading my posting and being kind enough to say something to me. I have ammended the posting now. (I have never used the head harness myself but heard good things about it that was my only reason for mentioning it).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...sorry I should have clarified...thanks for catching me on the head collar thing. Thank you for reading my posting and being kind enough to say something to me. I have ammended the posting now. (I have never used the head harness myself but heard good things about it that was my only reason for mentioning it).

That's ok :) I hope I didn't sound harsh, and head collars can work well with some dogs - just not all dogs, and especially not pups. My neighbour put one on her Sibe but he found it so aversive that he clawed his face to get it off so hard it made him bleed :(

I think if you follow the kind of advice you have set out that most people will find they never need to use a tool like that on their dog - because they did the hard work to start with :D

OOOOhhh...poor baby! Well definitely thanks for the correction then...I wouldnt want harm to come to any of our sibes on a bad tip that I gave! No problem at all...Id rather be corrected quickly and honestly than to be responsible for something like that.

It wouldn't be your fault, just good to be aware that like any tool they only work well on some dogs :grinning-smiley-003

Just so That you all can feel comfortable using the "easywalk harness" I will tell you that I did use that with Chewy and it is a very good product, and after about a month he didnt need it anymore because he calmed down for me and has walked very nicely since then. As harnesses go the easywalk is worth every penny and is very sturdy. This harness is effective because instead of the more common harness which has a "strap" that is up closer to the neck, the easy walk has a strap that goes acorss the chest just above the legs...which with huskies is very good because it takes away some of that pulling leverage...lol.

Playtime!!

Now that we have covered the most part of early training for your husky puppy Id like to talk about playtime.

Playtime is a healthy way to build a good relationship between your husky and you (not to metion the rest of the family, lol). Platime is equally as important as training/ manners. You can teach your husky manners and tasks during playtime and they will never know!! LOL. Playtime equals excitement and excitement equals attention...it really can be that simple. When I say attention, I mean attention to you- from them!

When you play with your puppy, remember that dogs play differently with each other than they do with people...unless you teach them differently. Puppies are usually either shy about rough play or they like to play rough and will not understand when they have become to rough unless you make it quite clear as their mother or littermates would...but when yipping loudly and other techniques dont work with them you have to teach them to play safely with you.

There are 3 reasons why rough play should never be allowed to continue without immediate correction:

(1) Rough play to a puppy is JUST play. They are small for now (maybe 15 to 20 pounds) but soon this PLAY can become quite dangerous as they will grow to 50+ pounds and it will no longer be funny.

(2) If you have children who live with you or visit you, this is exceptionally dangerous as most children do not know how to make the puppy stop. Often this means that they unintentionally trigger the puppy with frightened body language, yelling, hitting and even running...which can cause the pup to do things that they would not normally do...simply because they think these things means the child is really excited.

(3) I have met several people in my time who didnt think about how big their puppy would become, let alone their teeth. I met one couple that called me because their male dog had been taught that it was ok to have mouth/teeth contact with human skin and that it was ok to rough house whenever and wherever. This escalated into violent behaviors and became quite dangerous for the wife (who had been snapped at several times and very nearly bitten). A puppy who doesnt have play boundaries can turn into a 50+ pound dog who doesnt know when play stops and manners begin. So, more often than not bad manners that start as "all in good fun" will begin to happen outside of playtime and cause either (1) real aggression or (2) assumed agression where the owners think the dog has "gone mean" but in fact it would be easy enough to resolve the situation. With the dog In the story it was just assumed aggression and with a little training he was soon back to his happy self.

Needless to say it is always smarter to teach your puppy that your hands (and the rest of your body) are not toys and that nipping, mouthing, knocking you down, jumping, bullying and other things are not an acceptable part of play with you.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER offer your hands, feet or other body parts as play toys...instead go to the petstore and pick out 3 or 4 toys (in my case more like 10, lol) and introduce those to your puppy, and be a part of the playtime so that you encourage them to mouth the toys and understand that those are their toys.

Whenever you and your puppy are actively playing with a toy by playing fetch, tug-o-war, or the find it game...if they drop the toy they shouldnt ever be allowed to have it back until they sit down and you either give them a verbal command to take it back or until you give some signal that its ok. If they move before the toy is offered to them (placed in front of their nose or thrown again) then they must sit back down before you offer it again. If they do not sit again, then playtime is over...so be sure to put the toy away.

If your puppy is around 6 months and still leaps at you in an attempt to steal the toy make sure you hold it high enough above them that they are getting the right signal. Keep holding the toy up high until they sit for you and do not give it to them until they sit.

If a child is intersted in playing with your puppy you should take the time to teach them what you do when you play with the puppy....this way you greatly deminish the possibility that someone gets hurt. Never allow a child to play alone and unsupervised with a puppy who is still jumping, nipping or playing rough with you. if the puppy does these things with the child the child will likely and unknowingly make it easier for the puppy to accidently hurt them. Children often flail around, run, kick at the puppy or hit them and we all know that this is not a good thing.

If your child is under the age of 2 then by all means encourage them to pat the puppy while you pat him, throw a ball but let you get it back from the puppy and stuff like that...but do not allow them to "egg the puppy on" by playing tag or taking toys from the puppy.

If the child is 6 and above and you feel they are big enough and will follow your directions have them help you teach the puppy to sit and lay down and things like that. Teach your child that if they stand still when giving commands or holding toys that they dog will not leap at them or steal from them if they do as you tell them. If the puppy still tries to steal the toy back from them make sure to teach them to hold the toy high and stand still so the puppy gets the right signals...the same as they would from you. if your child does not follow directions take the toy away and make sure the puppy sees you do that so the puppy will follow you.

The important thing here is that you teach your puppy how to play with humans so that it can be fun for everyone...and that if you have children that you teach them how to help the puppy follow the rules with them too.

You would be surprised how good manners at playtime have an influence on manners that happen outside of playtime.

With young puppies 10 to 20 minutes of active playtime is more than enough to calm them into submission and help them relax...often they will need to go potty and take a nap too! LOL

Ok, I have made sure to include articles about everything that I started doing with Chewy within his first 6 months.

Now I'd like to do an article based on things you would like to teach your dog or puppy. If you have an idea of what you like to see me write about next please go ahead and post questions or suggestions. I would love for this thread to be more interactive for you and your puppies.

I have just come across this thread and I have to say OMG what a great Thread Rep sooo added Chewbacca & me!! :grinning-smiley-003

Only been able to read a small amount as I havnt got time to read the lot but will be playing catch up and reading the rest tomorrow ( Little man has just woke up have to put him back to bed ) :D

Well thank you! I am glad to do this knowing that there are so many methods out there and that almost half of those is hard to understand because they dont explain how the mthods work or how exactly to do the stuff in the first place...lol.

Please feel free to make suggestions or ask any training questions...

so far I have an article planned for doing fun tricks training with your puppy (Sarah's suggestion)...

and im looking to hear more from others on the forum. If you taught your dog to do something that was specific to your lifestyle and home...please share with us on this thread.

Oh, theres one thing I would like to mention about training your puppy that not alot of people and trainers talk about because they would like you to believe that a well trained dog never makes mistakes or challenges authority.

This thing they never talk about is Expectations!

The thing about training a puppy or a dog is that it litterally never stops, and you should expect to be working with the puppy for the rest of their lives. Training doesnt mean that your dog will grow up perfect and never make a mistake it just means that with correction (done properly) your dog will respond and make less mistakes and that as they grow they will make less mistakes because you care enough to work with them.

I have never met a dog who was perfect 100% of the time, and I dont expect to. So long as your puppy isnt clobbering family members all the time, going potty all over the hose frequently, or aggressive all the time then you have a great dog who should be treated with kindness and you shouldnt be worrying so much about perfection from them.

This is especially important to remember and think about if your puppy is just a companion who shares your home with you. If you have successfully taught them to sit, lay down, not potty in the house, and earn their rewards in life...then you have done an amazing job and so has the puppy or dog.

Huskies are well known as emotional companions who on occassion like to see if you are paying attention or if you will give in just because they are cute and you adore them. If you follow good healthy advice and train them with care, you will find that most days they are very cooperative and very well behaved. There will be some days when they will challenge you to be the best owner you can be and keep to your rules...but this just means that you should be ready to remind them about the things you have taught them.

I have met people who have said that a dog who cannot remain in a "down-stay" until you let them up is a "bad" dog...I think this puts too high of an expectation on them...especially if they are just a companion. Personally, if Chewy listens to me in my home and lays down, sits, doesnt potty in the house, doesnt tackle/harm family or friends/visitors, and gets off the sofa when I say so...thats more than good enough for me. All I am really concerned about is house manners as this is the place that we spend the most time together.

If you have gotten a husky puppy as a friend/companion then there is no reason why you should set extreme training expectations for them...its not really useful...and it causes stress and anxiety for you and your puppy.

Then again, if you have a husky puppy that you intend to train as a working or showing dog...my advice is this...start off with easier expectations and add some more as you go...dont try to meet all their training needs at once. Remember they always start off as puppies and you should start with puppy training and add tasks to your training as they progress.

As a related note: Huskies can get quite used to the way they are trained to live with you. If they feel that something is changing drastically for them they will be sure to do something to let you know that they dont like it...lol.

Heres an example of what I mean:

Chewy has been well trained to spend about 90% of his time indoors with us relaxing and only going out to potty or eat (eating outside is only because he ignores his food if he is inside and will happily spend the day begging for our food instead).

Well, someone came to stay with us 2 weeks ago, and was here for 1 1/2 weeks. She was downright cold to him and he was quite upset about it so would bark at her alot. After 2 days of her being here I was having to keep him outside alot so that she wouldnt complain about him and be rude to him. He was very upset with this new development and so began to chew the swingset and dig excessively to the point that he nearly made it out of the yard. He had not done these things before that and hasnt since she left.

He was so used to being inside with me and my children that he quickly became frustrated, so he started doing anything he could to make me run outside and be near him. After she left, he had a bath, and he had spent 3 hours inside being patted and relaxed he calmed right down and I have had ZERO problems since then.

I had not expected this behavior, but with some trial and error it was easy to resolve the situation and get him back on track. Expect that if they feel as loved as Chewy they will be quite upset and you may experience some really odd things...but this doent make them a bad dog and all you will have to do is remind them that you care and continue with their training (doing it exactly the same way you always have).

(PS) I know I always joke around about chewy's digging habits, but really its not that bad lol.

for crate training these are the techniques i used and after nearly a week kira is quiet in her crate 99% of the time with no accidents in there

ignore her, dont give in to her crying, no matter how bad it is

dont talk to her, look at her, go over to the crate or even tell her off, watch telly or leave the room if you have to

leave the telly on when your out of the room, a familiar sound may help to sooth her

try putting a comfortable bed in there for her

put all her favourite toys in there for her

put something to chew on to take her mind off it, we give kira a bone but due to nalla's age a puppy kong filled with something tasty might be better

never use the crate as punishment, ever, she'll start to associate the crate with being told off, making it a negative place

never tell her off while in the crate for the same reason

never go into the crate to get her, open the door and let her come out in her own time

make sure she has a chance to toilet before going in and coming out of her crate, so shes not crying because she needs a wee

kira still wont go in her crate of her own accord but she no longer tries to run out before we shut the door, and doesnt cry :D

we have her in the kitchen in the corner so she can see out the window and see where we are. im sure of what the issue is...

she loves to sleep and play under the pool table. and we are more then happy for her to play under there, but its the only place in the house where the crate wont fit under. so were running into problems.

right now shes playing under the pool table with a peice of green and white poka dot ribbon and shes perfectly fine. but as soon as i call her and put her into the crate she freeks. and it lasts for HOURS sometimes. and theres no off switch (trust me ive searched for it lol). and we dont want to put her in another room because we want her to still be able to see whats going on insted of being icolated.

try putting her in another room for now, to see if it helps, if she can see you it might distress her more, leaving her thinking 'why are you not letting me out?' if she crys for less time keep it in that room and keep putting her in there every now and then until she is consistently quiet, then try moving it slowly to where you want it permemantly. could you put it next to the pool table?

we have her in the kitchen in the corner so she can see out the window and see where we are. im sure of what the issue is...

she loves to sleep and play under the pool table. and we are more then happy for her to play under there, but its the only place in the house where the crate wont fit under. so were running into problems.

right now shes playing under the pool table with a peice of green and white poka dot ribbon and shes perfectly fine. but as soon as i call her and put her into the crate she freeks. and it lasts for HOURS sometimes. and theres no off switch (trust me ive searched for it lol). and we dont want to put her in another room because we want her to still be able to see whats going on insted of being icolated.

What have you done to make the crate a comfortable and positive place for her? Have you slowly worked her up to getting used to being in the crate or did you just put her in there?

i have tones of toys in there for her and yeah i warmed her up to wanting to be in there. i threw treats into the cage to get her to like being in there and i kept playing in there with her. (its big enough for me to fit in as well.

she has a potty pad on one side. her food and water dish, tones of toys, a bed, and my shirt in there for her. she just freeks out when one of us leaves the room or if we put her into there.

it seems like shes too stressed out to play with the toys tho.

ok take the pad out, the crate is ment to help toilet train her, you dont want her to associate the crate with a place to toilet. and i'd take her food and water out aswell. when shes in there you want to make sure she's eliminated before she goes in, if you let her have free access to food and water while in there she's gunna need to toilet pretty soon after eating/drinking at her age, and that'll destroy the whole concept of the crate.

when we first put kira in there we would feed her in there then let her out straight away before she started crying (so she didnt have a chance) and take her outside. this means they associate the crate with good things, without getting confused by toileting in there.

if she learns it's acceptable to toilet in there now you'll have difficulty training her out of it later. as she's younger and her bladder isnt reliable yet you will probably have some accidents in the beginning, but dont encourage it :)

as its so big for a little puppy you might want to get a divider to go in there. the purpose of a crate is to help toilet train. this can only be achieved if the dog see the crate as a 'bed', dogs will not eliminate on or in very close proximity to their sleeping area, so by providing such a large area those instincts are not going to kick in, because there is enough space for her to toilet and still move away from it.

she howls when she needs to go to the bath room and she doesnt use the potty pad. shes doing great with potty training. not an accident yet. so ill take it out. i just had it down so that when she drinks or eats that she wont get the food all over the floor.

is it ok to put a blanket down on the flood then so she isnt stepping on the cages wire?

Well It looks to me like people have been giving you very good answers about crate training.

One last thing though , since shes howling or whining, when she's in the crate put a blanket or sheet over it and make sure all the lights in the room are off at night. Chewy did great with his crate for awhile and then at 4 months I had to do something...lol. He had started howling very loudly at night because he wanted out of the crate.

I ended up placing a blanket on the crate, and a blanket in the crate, and making sure that ALL the lights downstairs were off so he would understand that no one was there.