Ticks Help

Hi Guys,

Sorry I know this is in the wrong section but just wanted a little bit of advice, We noticed earlier what we think is a tick under Thistles left eye, but I have just noticed another one on her muzzle.... Is there any sorts of treatments (like flee treatments maybe) that we can use to help this not happen? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Sorry I know this is in the wrong section but just wanted a little bit of advice, We noticed earlier what we think is a tick under Thistles left eye, but I have just noticed another one on her muzzle.... Is there any sorts of treatments (like flee treatments maybe) that we can use to help this not happen? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think standard flea and tick treatments can keep them at bay but I don't know if they will stop them all together. If they are ticks you need to remove them and make sure that the head is removed as well. Google search how to do it. If you do a search on the forum in sure there will be other threads with advice. Hope you get it sorted x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thank you will nip to Pets at home tomorrow. And will defo google the correct way to remove them. Thanks

I had to check this, but Frontline plus is the flee and tick product. Frontline was intended for flees.

Re removing them correctly, if you don't now, then definitely check out how to remove them correctly; leaving the head in is common and is apt to cause an infection. (( also, read there are a whole lot of "old wives tales" floating around about how to remove a tick, some of which work <sorta> and some of which are a waste of time. ))

You can use frontline, effipro or fiprospot which is cheapest ordered from medicanimal online for future reference.

You can also order a tommo tick remover online to have with you when you go walking in areas where ticks are. (anywhere where there are sheep or deer)

If you apply the flea/ tick stuff it should take effect in 24 hrs. If you're worried pop to the vet tomorrow. If you live in a tick area the flea tick treatment is a combination thing. The tick part only works for four weeks, the flea stuff eight weeks unless you're using effipro in which case half the time for both. :)

Hope that helps

It's important to remove the tick within the first 24 hrs of it attaching to minimize the chances of infection (ticks can carry several disease, like Lyme, erlichiosis, babesiosis etc.)

Also make sure to keep an eye on her in the following two weeks - not sure if these diseases are common in the UK, but if you notice her becoming lethargic, decreased appetite etc. time to go to the vet.

We had a scare on Monday after our walk, found a tick on one of his paws and had to take him to the vet to get removed. Fingers crossed he didn't pick anything up from that nasty tick as it'd only been attached for about 2 hrs.

If you do remove the Tick yourself, keep it.

There's a Govt. department that monitor them that you post it to, there is a thread in here somewhere about it,

Really? (Not sarcasm) Aren't there already too many ticks (politicians) in the government? :D

Here, Scalibor (flea & tick collar) is pretty popular, then Frontline. From pipettes which last 4 weeks it's Advantix. My bf who seems to be allergic to dog fur, had his allergy strengthened by the Scalibor collar for some reason.

After removing the tick monitor the spot, if it's still red after 2 days, you should go to your vet. If you're worried about removing it, ask your vet to do it, s/he can also teach you how to do it. :)

Ghost is sometimes a tick magnet, lucky for me he's white so I can take off most of them before they suck in. If it's sucked, it's my bf's job, I fear the little creatures.

Thank you everyone Nick is searching the rest of her now to make sure there isn't any more lurching about.

Im the one that is worrying and Nick is being nice and calm and dealing with it. But I think we will invest in that tommo tick remover so I can remove it when Nick's not here.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Have just ordered a Tick Remover and we will be taking her to the Vets first thing tomorrow morning as we do not feel confident to try and remove the one that has attached itself to her eye lid. Her eye is weeping as well so it must be hurting her so we think it is best to get the vets to check that as well and make sure she hasn't caught any infections from it.

Thank you so much for your help and advice guys it has really helped.

I will be taking a trip to Pets at Home tomorrow to see what I can find there for her. The rescue centre said she had been treated for everything no idea what they used but hope I don't get the same stuff as it hasn't worked.

We use Advocat (not sure if that's spelt correctly). It's pricey but protects against pretty much everything going, including lung worm and heart worm too I think.

But not normal worms! We have been using it and the vet said we still need to give them their normal worming every 3 months:/ can't see why it doesn't cover normal stuff. Its also cheaper is you just get the prescription from the vet and then buy it from medicanimal

But not normal worms! We have been using it and the vet said we still need to give them their normal worming every 3 months:/ can't see why it doesn't cover normal stuff. Its also cheaper is you just get the prescription from the vet and then buy it from medicanimal

my one does. Round/tape/hook. and others with funny names (angiostrongylus???) also mites and louse. It's spelt Advocate I've just noticed. Vet prescription only though

edit: forgot to add whipworm (the vets sticker was over the top of it, just peeled it back a bit and spotted it!) However I've just noticed that what I thought was tapeworm is actually not so. So perhaps it's either got another fancy name and on the list or else it's not covered and this is what the vet meant by saying 'normal' worms?

Edited by emma1979

my one does. Round/tape/hook. and others with funny names (angiostrongylus???) also mites and louse. It's spelt Advocate I've just noticed. Vet prescription only though

edit: forgot to add whipworm (the vets sticker was over the top of it, just peeled it back a bit and spotted it!) However I've just noticed that what I thought was tapeworm is actually not so. So perhaps it's either got another fancy name and on the list or else it's not covered and this is what the vet meant by saying 'normal' worms?

Maybe? They told us Advocate once a month then milbemax every 3 months but no need for flea treatment as its covered by the advocate? Lol it's more complicated than you think this having a pooch malarkey pmsl

I will be taking a trip to Pets at Home tomorrow to see what I can find there for her. The rescue centre said she had been treated for everything no idea what they used but hope I don't get the same stuff as it hasn't worked.

Let us know how u get on at the vets/ pets at home x

If you get a prescription from the vet for use on a website ask them to put repeats on it so you're not paying the prescription charge every time you buy the treatment. You post the original to the website an they keep it on record.

I doubt they meant ticks under everything. Protection against ticks is up to the owners. :/ They treat them for fleas, and many viruses but if she didn't have any tick at the rescue, I don't think they treated her for it. In fact, when I went to get a tick head out of Ghost to the vet, all she did was take the head out with a needle and told me to monitor it.

Every time you see your husky go to a longer grass, check her out when you come home. It's tick season after all. Hope everything goes well at the vet.

Can't get a vets appointment till 5:30 today but at least I know it will get sorted today. And going to have another expensive trip to pets at home as we have just rescued two guinea pigs who didn't have a home.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Just got back from the vets, Mollie had a full check up and is a perfect weight and was very well behaved. They wernt ticks they are moles/growths so nothing to worry about there. She does have conjunctivitis so she had an injection and we have to give her eye drops for the next week but she is very happy and just wants to go for a walk now. :D