Good to Know.....

Sarah

Have just read a reply to a thread that Austinville posted and thought i'd start up a thread about things that you've learnt about sibes / your husky in particular that you'd want to share so that others can learn .... i'll start off by quoting Austinville..........

"I watch for hot spots and ear infections as too much protein can have that effect in addition to weight gain."

• 1 month later...

Something for sibe owners to consider

You need an understanding and experienced veterinary surgeon. Sibes are sensitive to some drugs, particularly anaesthetics, sedatives and tranquillisers. This is due to their relatively low metabolic rate and lack of body fat. Also the bulk of their fur can lead vets to overestimate their weight and so overdose them. Sibes should always be weighed accurately beforehand to avoid this.

I didn't realize this when Bo was younger...and as many of you have young dogs, I thought this was something you might want to file in your general Sibe knowlege.

Something for sibe owners to consider

You need an understanding and experienced veterinary surgeon. Sibes are sensitive to some drugs, particularly anaesthetics, sedatives and tranquillisers. This is due to their relatively low metabolic rate and lack of body fat. Also the bulk of their fur can lead vets to overestimate their weight and so overdose them. Sibes should always be weighed accurately beforehand to avoid this.

I didn't realize this when Bo was younger...and as many of you have young dogs, I thought this was something you might want to file in your general Sibe knowlege.