Human medicines you can use on dogs...

Luna

We all know vets can be very expensive and most of the time we can use home remedies or medicines on our dogs!! Thought i'd start a thread for giving details of human treatments that we can use on dogs should you need to, which are much cheaper to buy over the counter.

Be careful though as there are some you definately shouldn't use e.g. ibuprofen.

Post here any that you know CAN be used to avoid any confusion - also it may be useful to tell us how you know it can be used!!

General wellbeing and covers all manor of things (great for cleaning wounds with ) Colloidal Silver - this stuff is excellent!!!! (It has to be 50ppm though - see link about it) http://www.goodhealthnaturally.com/pd_colloidal.cfm

My dog is 45kg and i use a child's dose in all medicines.

Allergic reactions - Bendryl (advised by vet and used by me)

Eye infections - Optrex infected eyes (advised by my vet and used by me)

Kennel cough - Benylin cough medicine and also clear honey to soothe throat inbetween (advised by vet & used by me) * Be careful with this one if it is particularly bad you sometimes need antibiotics to clear it*

Sickness/Diarrhea - Pepto Bismal (advised my many many dog people i know and used by me, vet confirmed safe)

I'm sure i will think of more...

:grinning-smiley-003

We had a vet tell us one time, that Kaopectate (sp) was OK to give to a dog to clear up the runny poop. We have since discovered, that Kaopectate is not good for dogs, and can introduce other problems. Fortunately, that particular vet is no longer at our vet clinic. It's always a good idea to confirm, confirm, confirm.

Sorry, i'm not trying to be clever here and i absolutely agree with what's been said about contacting your vets first in an emergency.

Having said that, there are times when knowing a little could save your dogs life. Maybe if we tell you what can be used and then you check with your vets and then you know for future reference?!

A couple of examples:

Your dog starts to bloat out of vet hours and it's a half hour drive to your emergency vets (as it is mine). It is an urgent medical emergency and i would recomend keeping something in just incase for dogs (such as Gas X or Mylanta gas). Many parents keep infacol for their children and knowing that this can be safely given to your dog on the way to the vets may just help to save it's life. It may not. If the alternative is that the bloat's likely to kill them anyway i'd use it!!

Recently my late boy Saxon was incredibly ill one morning - it was 20 minutes before my local vets opened or a 30 minute stress drive to the emergency vets...i knew which one i was choosing!!

What if, during that time, he had suffered an allergic reaction to a sting. I always keep antihistamines (Piriton) in for my hayfever, as do many people, and knowing this could help my dog in the meantime is invaluable to me.

I recently attended a dog first aid course and i would thouroughly recommend everyone does so - they are cheap - you could even all club together and organise one yourself. You will be amazed at what little tricks you can learn and what essential items to keep in you doggie first aid kit.

I recently attended a dog first aid course and i would thouroughly recommend everyone does so - they are cheap - you could even all club together and organise one yourself. You will be amazed at what little tricks you can learn and what essential items to keep in you doggie first aid kit.

well, I've never heard of one of these - what a good idea! I've done St John Ambulance training, but it definitely didn't cover pets! lol wonder how you go about it - Oh, Google's a wonderful thing! ;)

this was who we organized ours with and they were brilliant...

http://www.animalaiders.co.uk/

Since this i can confidently bandage my dogs paws. Bandage their ears (i have had to do this when a foster suffered a bite to his ear - ears just don't bl**dy stop bleeding, lol) and much other stuff. Well worth it :grinning-smiley-003

I paid about 20 and i would have paid double that:D