??? daft question ????

emmy-lou

Hi guys....... im going to see a litter of pups this weekend and this will be my first Husky..... I have had different breeds of dog over the years such as german shepherd, border collie and staffy. I have only had one from a pup (all the rest were either rescue or ex working dogs looking to retire) and my mum went to choose that one. I know the basic sorts of things to be looking out for, thanks to the posts on the forum (one in particular (bowes story)),but is there anything specfic i should look for especially as i would like him/her to be working dogs??? I know eyes, ears, teeth, paws, coat condition, parentage vets scores for parents hips and eyes, mood etc anything else?????

All help is appreciated

sorry about the spelling im having a brain fart at the moment

Lucy xxx:redface1:

What kind of work do you plan on doing? A sib for sled or dryland mushing will have different ideal qualities than one you want for obedience. Also something to keep in mind, the way you would train a herding breed will be very different than the way you would train a siberian. They are a very active breed, but they are not biddable.

oh yeah sorry should of said the collie was an agility dog the gs's were ex police dogs ( i used to work in the kennels on a weekend with the trainers so i knew how to handle the dogs when they retired (can be hard to handle sometimes)).

And the sibe will be dryland mushing. so anything i should be looking for specifically for that would be a great help

xxxx

What kind of work do you plan on doing? A sib for sled or dryland mushing will have different ideal qualities than one you want for obedience. Also something to keep in mind, the way you would train a herding breed will be very different than the way you would train a siberian. They are a very active breed, but they are not biddable.

Not much of an understatement, is it?? Emma, almost without exception, forget almost everything you think you know about dogs - Husky's more often come across a people in fur; they think more than any animal you'll ever have run into, and if they think that you're trying to "put one over on them" they'll find a way to reverse the tables!

They're great - but speaking from experience with many other breeds - they are definitely different!

I dont think i have explained myself very well........ I was only saying i had other dogs to demonstrate my knowledge of puppy selection...... basically i have no experience as all my other dogs have been either from a retirement program or my mum has chosen the pup.

I know Huskies are not like any other breed and i wouldnt dream of trying to compare them......... I just wanted to know if there was anything specific i should be looking for as i intend to train the sibe to do the dry land mushing (if sibe permits of course lol). for example do i want to be drawn more to the energentic bundle that cant sit still for 2 minutes or do i want a certain size pup etc....... I didnt mean i wanted to train it the same as the dogs i have had in the past xx

Emma, I wasn't trying to say that you don't know anything ... at least that wasn't what I intended it to mean. It's just that generally when people come from other "doggish" backgrounds they find the Husky quite a different animal.

Since we seem to agree on that ... let me plead ignorance. With a comment, puppies who are a bundle of energy can grow up to be couch potatoes - and vice versa - and the runt of the litter may grow into the alpha / leader of the pack. At that age, anything is possible.

Our British "mushers" are getting ready to call it a night, but if we "bump" this topic a few more times, maybe one of them will put a more educated two pence worth in.

(( and excuse me, I sometimes have a real bad habit of putting my foot in my mouth, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not - this appears to be one of those "not" times. ))

I'd just look for the pup that'd be drawn to you as you to him. At that age, as Al Jones said, you can't really make out a lot. The one you pick should be mainly your companion, and they're (as other breeds) adaptable. S/he'll want to be such that s/he makes you happy. I'm no musher, so ignore me if you like. :)

By the way, mine seems to have hip dysplasia, and let me tell you, he still is a good runner, he, as is huskies' forte, someone who wants to be first - when we're running or walking. :)

In the Chukotka sibs were bred to be both working dogs and family dogs and most owners find that when the dogs come inside, they will become very mellow, and then active again once outside. So I would engage the pups both indoors and outdoors. The breeder should also be able to tell you which pups would most likely grow into sleddog personalities. They should be familiar enough with both sire and dam to at least do a preliminary evaluation of the puppies based on their parents.

What kinds of lines are the puppies you are looking at from? working, racing, or show?

Emma, I wasn't trying to say that you don't know anything ... at least that wasn't what I intended it to mean. It's just that generally when people come from other "doggish" backgrounds they find the Husky quite a different animal.

Since we seem to agree on that ... let me plead ignorance. With a comment, puppies who are a bundle of energy can grow up to be couch potatoes - and vice versa - and the runt of the litter may grow into the alpha / leader of the pack. At that age, anything is possible.

Our British "mushers" are getting ready to call it a night, but if we "bump" this topic a few more times, maybe one of them will put a more educated two pence worth in.

(( and excuse me, I sometimes have a real bad habit of putting my foot in my mouth, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not - this appears to be one of those "not" times. ))

its ok Al my other half says i have a tendancy of not explaining myself properly (wich is true). it never ends up on the page how it is in my brain for some reason...... and as i am new to this breed im am more than happy to take peoples comments on board, afterall you all know more than me.

So dont worry i didnt take it personally and you didnt put your foot in it lol

Also any other hints and tips are welcome too :) xxx

In the Chukotka sibs were bred to be both working dogs and family dogs and most owners find that when the dogs come inside, they will become very mellow, and then active again once outside. So I would engage the pups both indoors and outdoors. The breeder should also be able to tell you which pups would most likely grow into sleddog personalities. They should be familiar enough with both sire and dam to at least do a preliminary evaluation of the puppies based on their parents.

What kinds of lines are the puppies you are looking at from? working, racing, or show?

Sire is a working dog (he mushes (only for fun)) dam has show back ground (her dad) but is more a long walks and comfy cushion kind of dog.

As i was typing about active pup or bigger pup i kinda thought it was silly as the pup my mum chose was a quiet runt and ended up being one of the bigger most active dogs from the litter but again, being a novice with this breed i thought it better to ask you guys and get the selection info..... but i think im going to let the pup choose me instead of the other way round xxxx

personnally, you want the dog that stands out more to you, as when they are puppies i dont think its easy to define which one is best for what.

Kaiden was the hypo boy and parker was sleeping most the time, now i have a lazy Kaiden and a mental Parker :facepalm:

you will want to take on the one you feel you have a connection with, as although huskies dont tend to become extremely attached there is a sence of ok ill do it for you with some of them

it may not be the one who is so interested in you, or the one who runs around like a kid on juice, it may be the one who has found something and wants to figure out what it is, even though its on the other side of the glass.

in my opinion, you want to choose the dog you think and feel you'll be spending the rest of your life with. and if he/she turns out to be the lazy ass....you can always get another :D

in my opinion, you want to choose the dog you think and feel you'll be spending the rest of your life with. and if he/she turns out to be the lazy ass....you can always get another :D

I like your way of thinking...... not sure my other half would agree lol ...... thanks for the advice xx

Hi emmy-lou, glad you came across & read my thread(s) regarding Bowe! :) its been an 'experience' to say the least, something I brought on myself half of the time, but I did what I felt was right. Regarding Bowe, and puppies, I can now safely say that it doesn't really matter which puppy you choose from a litter, what matters is, which you like the most. I've turned Bowe around completely from the Pup I bought that day, and for that reason alone think its more about what you do & how you train & look after the puppy you choose, rather than the other way round...

From my experience now though, I'd make sure both mam and dad (dogs) are present, or available for viewing also. As this gives you a ball park of what the puppy you choose will be like, to a degree...Other than that, just make sure the breeder is confident, knowledgeable, and most of all kind to the dogs & puppies. Gut feeling should be enough for this...and TRY NOT to turn up at a 'puppy farm' as this was my weakness with Bowe and I ended up 'saving a pup' instead of 'buying a pup' (not that I would change the decisions, or choices I made) but it will keep you from feeling like that, and having to go through what me and my family had to go through, also it will keep you from buying a puppy for all the 'wrong' reasons, so to speak. So what I would try to do is qualify the person selling the pups over the phone first, asking questions, etc. before going and viewing. There are lots of SO CALLED 'breeders' puppy farming currently with times been hard £££, and the very LAST thing we should be doing is 'funding' these people!

Papers, we've had dogs with them, we've had dogs with out them, and I can say hand on heart, its doesn't make much difference? its more about the breeders and the lines of dogs been bred. Papers, Vet Bills, Pedigree does give you the reassurance though, that the puppies are cared for and want for nothing, which is always a nice touch. But equally you can get the same 'feeling' from buying of a knowledgeable, sensible, nice breeder.

ALTERNATIVELY, just be brave, find a puppy farmer, turn up, give them a slap, rescue a pup, get on your way, and tell the RSPCA when you get back - like me :rolleyes: lol! :cool: ...just kiddin' :P

Mark & Bowe.

Edited by s200rey

ALTERNATIVELY, just be brave, find a puppy farmer, turn up, give them a slap, rescue a pup, get on your way, and tell the RSPCA when you get back - like me :rolleyes: lol! :cool: ...just kiddin' :P

lmao..... its good u can joke about it now....... i was hooked reading your story my heart just went out to u both...... i dont know how you kept so calm.

Thank you for the advice i really appreciate it but i may not have to go see now..... i just found out a bloke round the corner my oh chats to occasionally might be looking to rehome his 17 week old pup....... for no reason other than he didnt do his research and didnt realise what he was getting into. My oh was being nosey and asked him a load of questions based on my " oh i didnt know that" comments when reading threads on here and he basically new nothing so oh is keeping his ear to the ground and said to the bloke if he is rehoming her to let us know and continued to tell him about the plans in my head lol. I have spent some time with this pup and she is gorgeous. and the best bit is her and Daisy get on great together xxxx

just wanted to point out that not all sibes want to run. And there is no real way of finding this out.

Papers are important if you intend on doing the proper mushing circuit as without papers you cannot enter some of the rallys.

just wanted to point out that not all sibes want to run. And there is no real way of finding this out.

Papers are important if you intend on doing the proper mushing circuit as without papers you cannot enter some of the rallys.

Thanks for the reply..... again the running will only be if the sibe wants to and enjoys it...... i know that if she does then i would only be doing it for fun not entering rallys etc..... xx