Teething and Floppy Ears

What's the link between having floppy ears and them standing straight up when a puppy is teething? I went through yahoo answers and someone said something about calcium being needed while teething first then once thats over the ears should start to stand straight up?

My Nika is Aussie Sheppard/ Border Collie / Husky Mix. Based on this pic, what's your alls opinion that her ears will stand? She's only 6 weeks right now and i believe she is still teething because her molars have only begun to really become visibly poking out.

post-8187-13586060467159_thumb.jpg

Oh what a sweetheart. Given the mix, she may not have perked ears. Hard to say. They start to loose their puppy teeth around 4 months. During the process, their gums may become slightly red and swollen as well. The calcium statement off yahoo answers is, well, boooooogus. If she were a pure bred Husky, her ears would normally be perked by 12 weeks, often sooner. She's only at about 7 weeks, so there's still some time. At that age, she's not teething in the traditional sense, where the puppy teeth are being pushed out by the adult teeth. However, she is most likely exercising her ability to bite and chew. She is actually quite young to have left her mother and litter mates, so things like bite inhibition, which she would learn from her litter mates and mother between the ages of six to eight weeks of age, may be something you will have to teach her. If she bites you, let out a high pitched "OUCH" and turn away. Also, have a chew toy available to offer instead.

Wow thanks [MENTION=6615]HuskyMom09[/MENTION] for those photos. Now here's another part that peeks my interest. Check out these puppy photos. Based on these would you figure the same thing?

post-8187-13586060511705_thumb.jpg

By the way thats not me in the last pic its my sis. lol

post-8187-13586060508897_thumb.jpg

post-8187-13586060511259_thumb.jpg

Wow thanks @HuskyMom09 for those photos. Now here's another part that peeks my interest. Check out these puppy photos. Based on these would you figure the same thing?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53106[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53107[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53108[/ATTACH]

By the way thats not me in the last pic its my sis. lol

Those look like days to week old? It's hard to say since those ears are still pinned back, but they will probably follow a similar growth/development to my pics.

What's the link between having floppy ears and them standing straight up when a puppy is teething? I went through yahoo answers and someone said something about calcium being needed while teething first then once thats over the ears should start to stand straight up?

My Nika is Aussie Sheppard/ Border Collie / Husky Mix. Based on this pic, what's your alls opinion that her ears will stand? She's only 6 weeks right now and i believe she is still teething because her molars have only begun to really become visibly poking out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53087[/ATTACH]

I don't think they look like they are going to stand up, the ears look very thin along the edge

• 2 weeks later...

Uhm, I would say its maybes a little to early to tell for sure, but my puppy, Bowe is around 7 weeks old today and she is an all white siberian husky (possible Akita cross?) and her ears are still down, unless you whistle and they do raise slightly, but i'm pretty confident in these next 2-3 weeks they will stand up, due to the thickness in the cartilage, or bone, around the tips...I could be wrong tho.

Here's a picture of her from the weekend, ears still drooped, bless her, lol.

IMAG4136.jpg

Cheers,

Mark & Bowe.

Hi [MENTION=8187]nika[/MENTION], again! I'm going to have to agree, those ears don't look like they're going to be the stand up type. We may be wrong - stranger things have been known to occur here - but there's something that just doesn't look right for really perky ears.

@s200ray - that picture of Bowe is precious!! "Well, okay dad, but what now ....???"