Possibly Blind Husky Puppy? HELP & ADVICE NEEDED IF POSSIBLE...

Hi all,

Thanks for the Replies!

After spending a few hours with her last night its clear that she's 'totally' blind. Am I trippin' by thinking she could gain her sight at 5 and a bit weeks old? I dont think she has ever had her sight, due to how good she is at dealing with it using her other senses, bless her soul. She's such a friendly thing, but I can already see problems developing :( i've got a 5month year old daughter & a 3 year old, and can't justify to myself that she 'could be' okay around them. If she's full of energy she really winds her self up because she cant 'let go' so to speak, and is scared of doing so, then gets angry with herself...its pretty awful to watch, as soon as she's picked up and placed anywhere thats not on the ground, she shakes violently, and stresses right out. I dont know how to deal with a dog like this, nor do I have the time to spend 'keeping her right' as I work 6/7 days a week, and my fiancee looks after the kids & her atm obviously.

So, whats the chances of her gaining sight at just over 5 weeks?

And, what is the best thing to do with her? I dont really want to put her down, although it could save a lifetime of issues? possibly?...

I spoke to the breeder again last night, and he assured me she would not be for sale if I brought her back and if she did indeed turn out to be blind, that he would bring her up with his pack (4 18month old Huskies, Its Mam, Its Dad & its remaining 2 Brothers) ...but do I believe it? I DONT KNOW.

I'm stuck in a rock & a hard place, my misses is saying give it a few more weeks to see if it gains its eye sight? but I think its very doubtful as she's at 5 and a bit weeks old now and cannot see a thing, her eyes are open, just not registering anything, at all. I think i'm just going to cause us all even more heartache if we hold on, because I dont think she's going to gain her sight (am I wrong for writing her off this early?) but i've got to do something, I need a plan. But one thing I do know, is no matter what I cant have a dog of this calibre, blind, and around my children as she starts getting bigger & bigger.

Proper gutted...

Mark & Bowe.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i Believe you have most likely made up your mind already.

I dont think she should go back to that bloke, if the conditions they were being kept in is as you say then this is defo not the right place for her.

god if i wasnt going to in 4 weeks america i would take her off your hands.

obviously you need to make the right decision for your family, and although hard work blind puppies are very similar to not blind puppies, running around like mad, knocking things over as they go, crying in the night and pooping and peeing trips needed.

i doubt her sight will come back, she may regain a bit but i personally am not hopefuly.

May i ask, again not to be taken the wrong way, but have you done much research into getting a puppy, and its breed? obviouly if you had this wouldnt of made a blind bit of difference in regards to Bowe.

I wouldnt be considering putting her down though x

a blind dog is not a bad dog. Even if she would never regain sight I believe Bowe still can be a great companion for you and your family. I really don't mean to sound harsh and I skipped some posts too but judging from some of your posts you're really desperate for her to regain her sight. Now what if she didn't? :( You're ready to cope with that, aren't you? I do believe that her blindness would never make her unsuitable to be around children, but since she can't see I won't let your kids approach her running. The sound would just scare her off and if she's in a cornered position she would perform fear bite :( every time you want to touch her, make sure you talked to her first so that she know someone's there and she won't be surprised or scared if she felt a touch. The shaking is probably just because she's not used to walking around yet, but I think she's gonna be fine once she grow older. Furniture rearrangements have to be crossed out from the to-do list from now on, and be prepared to keep your dog away from a large crowd that would potentially scare her off. Good luck and thanks for not giving her up :)

oh btw [MENTION=6713]SA DA KA[/MENTION] might be able to give some advice.. I remember Kayak is blind in one eye?

a blind dog is not a bad dog. Even if she would never regain sight I believe Bowe still can be a great companion for you and your family. I really don't mean to sound harsh and I skipped some posts too but judging from some of your posts you're really desperate for her to regain her sight. Now what if she didn't? :( You're ready to cope with that, aren't you? I do believe that her blindness would never make her unsuitable to be around children, but since she can't see I won't let your kids approach her running. The sound would just scare her off and if she's in a cornered position she would perform fear bite :( every time you want to touch her, make sure you talked to her first so that she know someone's there and she won't be surprised or scared if she felt a touch. The shaking is probably just because she's not used to walking around yet, but I think she's gonna be fine once she grow older. Furniture rearrangements have to be crossed out from the to-do list from now on, and be prepared to keep your dog away from a large crowd that would potentially scare her off. Good luck and thanks for not giving her up :)

oh btw @SA DA KA might be able to give some advice.. I remember Kayak is blind in one eye?

:up:

We are so sorry to hear of what has happened to both Bowe and you. We have read all the post and everyone here has given you wonderful information. Our Kayak is blind in one eye and has managed very well with it. We have a friend who had a blind Siberian, Kona who passed this past June. He was able to get around extremely well. Jan would just give him certain ques to where he needed to go at times. Whenever he was going up or down any steps for example she would tell him, "three steps down", or "three steps up" and very slowly his nose would sniff each step as he went up and down them. Dogs eyesight isn't the best in the first place, they utilize their nose and hearing which is much more acute than their eyesight. With proper training, your pup will adapt quite readily. As they say, what they never have, they don't miss. A wonderful book you may want to investigate is "Living with Blind Dogs" A Resource Book and Training Guide for the Owners of Blind and Low-Vision Dogs, written by Caroline D Levin RN. Here is a picture of Kona, the Blind Siberian we had mentioned earlier (the owner of Kona would take him and her four other pack members, non-siberians way into the mountains, off leash and Kona did better than the other four, she was always impressed on how well he did) We wish you all the best and keep us all informed.

And the photos of your pup are absolutely adorable. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

post-6713-13586058063512_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586058062925_thumb.jpg

Im sorry you want to have her put down or rehome her because she may be blind?

A blind dog can still be a good dog.

Please do not give her to him.

If anything give her to a husky rescue.

HUskies in need, S.H.A.R.E. , Helping Hearts, Sibes and Sled Dogs,

I dont think im near you, maybe someone on here may be able to take her on and keep her or rehome her ?

the rescues also may like to know where this pup came from.

oh have just re-read all of your posts. [MENTION=8214]s200rey[/MENTION] please don't put her down. Blindness is not a good reason to end her life :( if you believe you can't keep her, you can always try to find a good home for her. We have a rehoming section in this forum, and I believe none of us would judge or accuse so don't be shy to put up a thread if you've made up your mind. There are also lots of experts here that has worked with this breed for a long time so you can be sure that she'll end up in good hands :) that's if you decide you want to rehome her. If not, we're ready to help you as much as we can whenever you have a question :)

oh have just re-read all of your posts. @s200rey please don't put her down. Blindness is not a good reason to end her life :( if you believe you can't keep her, you can always try to find a good home for her. We have a rehoming section in this forum, and I believe none of us would judge or accuse so don't be shy to put up a thread if you've made up your mind. There are also lots of experts here that has worked with this breed for a long time so you can be sure that she'll end up in good hands :) that's if you decide you want to rehome her. If not, we're ready to help you as much as we can whenever you have a question :)

I am almost certain someone would take her on, even temporaily.

I would, Im not sure where he lives. But I would have her till I was sure she could be rehomed.

If he can get her to me, then I would,

if she is indeed blind and was born this way

she will adjust her life to suit,i have sent you a pm,if you need a chat just yell

i am in the north east too......just dont know how far apart we are. [MENTION=8214]s200rey[/MENTION]

I am almost certain someone would take her on, even temporaily.

I would, Im not sure where he lives. But I would have her till I was sure she could be rehomed.

If he can get her to me, then I would,

ill be happy to help meet half way or something, if this becomes the only option. x

thanks TOni. im not sure if I even know how to look after a blind pup. but im willing to do it,

yeah me too...if i wasnt going america i would defo take her on, even if the other half didnt like it lol...hmm 3 white ones, not what i had in mind :)

if it comes down to it ill help out in any way

Hi all,

Thanks for the Replies!

After spending a few hours with her last night its clear that she's 'totally' blind. Am I trippin' by thinking she could gain her sight at 5 and a bit weeks old? I dont think she has ever had her sight, due to how good she is at dealing with it using her other senses, bless her soul. She's such a friendly thing, but I can already see problems developing :( i've got a 5month year old daughter & a 3 year old, and can't justify to myself that she 'could be' okay around them. If she's full of energy she really winds her self up because she cant 'let go' so to speak, and is scared of doing so, then gets angry with herself...its pretty awful to watch, as soon as she's picked up and placed anywhere thats not on the ground, she shakes violently, and stresses right out. I dont know how to deal with a dog like this, nor do I have the time to spend 'keeping her right' as I work 6/7 days a week, and my fiancee looks after the kids & her atm obviously.

So, whats the chances of her gaining sight at just over 5 weeks?

And, what is the best thing to do with her? I dont really want to put her down, although it could save a lifetime of issues? possibly?...

I spoke to the breeder again last night, and he assured me she would not be for sale if I brought her back and if she did indeed turn out to be blind, that he would bring her up with his pack (4 18month old Huskies, Its Mam, Its Dad & its remaining 2 Brothers) ...but do I believe it? I DONT KNOW.

I'm stuck in a rock & a hard place, my misses is saying give it a few more weeks to see if it gains its eye sight? but I think its very doubtful as she's at 5 and a bit weeks old now and cannot see a thing, her eyes are open, just not registering anything, at all. I think i'm just going to cause us all even more heartache if we hold on, because I dont think she's going to gain her sight (am I wrong for writing her off this early?) but i've got to do something, I need a plan. But one thing I do know, is no matter what I cant have a dog of this calibre, blind, and around my children as she starts getting bigger & bigger.

Proper gutted...

Mark & Bowe.

Please please please do not return her to the "breeder" or get her put down - she has as much right as any other puppy to a loving home, if you don't think you can offer her that then you need to speak with a husky rescue center - they will help you and you can be assured she will go to a home where someone is able to work with her and give her what she needs.

I think Tania has already contacted you from SHARE - she will help x

Yeah I wont be putting her down dont worry, dont know why I even suggested it, cos i'm not doing it.

A little update though: The RSPCA have been in touch, they have been to his premises and cant find ANY cause for concern, apart from him living like one of them lol!...they said all his Adults are good strong breeds, all healthy, and have everything they need and more, to be happy well cared for dogs. As for the puppies he now faces up to a £5000 fine (SO HE SHOULD!) for selling them under 8 weeks. They are also happy with the Pups that are left and there conditions, so i'm a little happier about that. Then 5 minutes ago he's been in touch (doesn't know its me who's informed on him) to say he would be more than happy to bring her up with his pack, especially if she's blind as they will help her out, and if I wanted to bring her back I could, he's been in touch with all the other buyers and they have all confirmed there dogs to be fine, fit & healthy and not blind. So it looks like Bowe is the only one who is bless her...

They also know of him, he's been breeding dogs for 30+ years and is 'apparently' a lovely chap, just a little strange. lol.

Decisions, Decisions...

Edited by s200rey

If she doesn't go back to him, which im not entirely happy about, I have a friend really interested in her, which is good - he's coming to see her tonight :) nice because i'd get to see her all the time, and he's willing to go halves on my loss (£250)

I'll be in touch with you guys and let you know of any progress / her progress with him.

In the meantime, i've found some healthy 10 week old Siberian Husky Pups I might go and take a look at this weekend :)

Thanks for all the help & support, its helped me take a couple of days to decide what I want to do rather than weeks & weeks.

CHEERS ALL! :)

If she doesn't go back to him, which im not entirely happy about, I have a friend really interested in her, which is good - he's coming to see her tonight :) nice because i'd get to see her all the time, and he's willing to go halves on my loss (£250)

I'll be in touch with you guys and let you know of any progress / her progress with him.

In the meantime, i've found some healthy 10 week old Siberian Husky Pups I might go and take a look at this weekend :)

Thanks for all the help & support, its helped me take a couple of days to decide what I want to do rather than weeks & weeks.

if your friend takes her on get him to join up here :)

Good luck with viewing the new pups - when you go, make sure you can see both parents, ask about hip and eye scores and if they're registered. The breeder should quiz you about the breed to make sure you know about huskies. x

does your friend know about huskies?

about blind dogs?

and about raising a young puppy (under 8 weeks)

pups under 8 weeks removed from their mums can have issues which need dealing with. Things their mum would teach them

'Nika' on here (Janel Longoria) on here might be able to give you some good advice about raising 'such' a young little girl - check out the thread 'Nike is 4 weeks old' some vids on there too :D might be of help.

Thanks for rescuing little Bowe.

Whereabouts in the North East of England are you?

i understand you have paid out a lot of money for this poor puppy

and now dont feel that you can give her the help she may require,but, please make sure your friend knows the breed

this is vitally important for her future well-being.

i don't mean to sound rude but please dont make it about the money :(

i have sent you a pm stating i'm in the north east too....so give me a yell if you fancy a chat

My friend (mid 40's) has had lots of dogs, one of which being a Malamute & he's bred dogs before but not for the last 10-15years. His Malamute has just passed away (spent the last 2 years of its life blind) and he's now got no dog in his life so he is thinking he could give her the 101% attention, affection & training she needs, and have her as his next dog, and possibly get another Pup to be a companion. Its nothing to do with money, I think he just mentioned it to reassure me that he is interested.

Nice to know plenty on here are willing to help! what a lovely forum/community! :)

I will be back shortly, hopefully with a Pup :)

And I will be in touch with any1 if anything is to drop through with my mate!

Thanks again!

Mark & Bowe.