Husky dollars - the announcement

Marc

Hi Guys,

So I think I have done just about enough winding people up about what these are now, so its time to announce what this is all about.

HUSKY OWNERS DOLLAR - OR HOD FOR SHORT

HOD is something that you will begin to earn on and around the forum for various actions. Think of it as a forum game of earning points. The whole idea of this being that no matter who you are on the forum, no matter what usergroup, in this one activity is everything.

Your HOD will be earned as anything in life by going to work, however this one is a job we all enjoy which is being on here. You will earn points based on your contribution towards the activity on the forum on a daily basis. The items you can gain HOD for are in the table below.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 600, align: center"]

[TD]Action[/TD]

[TD]Description[/TD]

[TD]HOD[/TD]

[TD]Extra HOD[/TD]

[TD]New Thread[/TD]

[TD]Given for posting new threads[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]0.01 for each word over 3 letters (not including quoted content)[/TD]

[TD]New Post[/TD]

[TD]Given for new posts[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0.05 for each wordover 3 letters (not including quoted content)[/TD]

[TD]Replies[/TD]

[TD]Given for each reply by another to your thread[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]New Poll[/TD]

[TD]For creating a poll[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Poll Vote[/TD]

[TD]For voting in a poll[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Rate a Thread[/TD]

[TD]For rating someones thread[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Thread Rated[/TD]

[TD]Given for someone rating your thread[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]2 Additional for each star rating (ie 5 star rating for your post gains you 10 points)[/TD]

[TD]Upload (Inc Pictures)[/TD]

[TD]Uploading attachments and images to the forum[/TD]

[TD]0.1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Thread Stickied[/TD]

[TD]If one of your threads becomes a sticky on the forum.[/TD]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Referral[/TD]

[TD]Someone registers via your referral ID on the forum (more info to come)[/TD]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Birthday[/TD]

[TD]Birthday Present[/TD]

[TD]100[/TD]

[TD]Additional 1 Point per year[/TD]

[TD]Infraction Charge[/TD]

[TD]Will be removed if you recieve an official infraction/warning[/TD]

[TD]200[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TABLE]

WHATS THE POINT?

Well by earning HOD you will have something to spend on various fun items on the forum. As this is such a huge addition to the forum however I am anticipating that there will undoubtly be some technical glitches when it first goes live, therefore I will be adding the HOD gaining system first. Once this has been live for a day and I am happy with it, I will release Husky Owners Market where you will be able to buy things such as the ability to change your user title, to give it a colour and a glow as well if you like. You can even buy a lottery ticket which will be drawn weekly with a chance to win more HOD. There are many more however these will come in a further announcement at some point tomorrow night.

ANYTHING ELSE?

Of course there is. We will be also using HOD in various fun competitions on the forum where you will be able to win more HOD. A banking system will be introduced so that nobody can steal HOD from you (more to come on this feature ;) ). There will be fun charactors that you can have in your avatars that you can buy clothing and accessories for. There will be an automatic signature creation system where you can build a great looking sig for yourself and build it right here on the forum. There will be the ability to create betting events within the forum with their own odds so you can have fun with that between members. And no doubt more after that. All of these things will come in time, however as you can imagine this update is HUGE and therefore I want to stage this bit by bit.

Hope you enjoy the new addition to the forum. HOD will go live at some point Saturday Morning (UK Time).

Edited by Marc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't you believe you spent all your time on this when we need a member map. << laughing >>

Okay, this looks like it could be interesting ... does staff get to accrue HOD's?

Yep .. in exactly the same way as others.

Membermap incidentally me and Jos are completely rewriting it from scratch, so will be completly custom to husky owners. This is obviously unless someone releases one in the meantime, however we're gonna look on it with the point of view that nobody is writing one

Hey, wait! How much do we get for letting oyu know that you've broken something again??? There's got to be some value to that ... << teasing >>

Now now LOL..... See you still not managed to fix that computer of yours yet :P <<Also teasing>>

it sounds like fun if a little bit complicated for more senior folks(me)

You'll get used to it fast enough :) Just think of it this way, for the most part you get points for posting, and more points for posting the original thread. If your thread is good and people are replying to it you will be getting points for thet too :)

So if you have no internet access or are too busy to play on here, you are punished by negative dollars? I'll never get to positive dollars.

Oh arent we the pessamist. No people who are more active end up on a higher level of points. Its the same for everyone so why would you think this is somehow unfair?

OK let me explain the logic behind this element. The point system is actually something in which is not new to husky owners. When we very first started the forum I implemented a similar system (although not as advanced). The problem with these systems are that some people end up in a situation where they have so many it becomes a completely meaningless system. The system at the end of the day is there to promote activity on the forum by giving people something to play with through their activity on the forum. The problem is that other than people buying things they have no real way of ever going down, and so they only ever tend to go up.

Now there are fun elements to this such as becoming a theif, buying protection, despositing in a bank etc however the downfalls are that once people become inactive people start to use the steal system to gain points to a daft level. By reducing points when people are inactive, the people who are inactive end up with nothing to steal and therefore the main activity on the forum as far as the points are concerned stay on a level playing field.

Example on the old system

10 users who have not been active for the last 6 month had points of 1500 each. I then decide to steal off of them, some of which are successfull and some which are not. It leaves me with around 10000 points after a day, and these people are never going to steal them back as they are no longer participating on the forum.

Those same 10 users under the current system would have nothing to steal, and therefore its only really viable to try and take from other active users. However these users may take back, or indeed from yet other active users.

So the net effect is a balanced system where you dont have 5 people at the top of the leaderboard with a million points more than anyone else. The effect otherwise being I cannot increase the price of things because of the lower users and cannot decrease them to be affordable as some can buy everything. Therefore the system simply gets switched off and everyone loses everything.

Edited by Marc

...how do you steal from people? Or how do you protect yourself?

Yet to be announced. The system is quite large so implementing it in stages. These will come tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2