Grumpy husky

Would you believe he's saying "I'm being good, I'm trying to take a nap, please let me!"?

Seriously, if he's napping and has his eyes closed, it's rude to bother him ... if he decides he doesn't like getting woke up it could be more than just rude on his part.

Sasha's got a bad habit of sleeping in the door to the kitchen the first couple of times I stepped over her she was startled, not dangerous just not comfortable - she's accepted that if she's going to lay in the doorway, I'm going to step over her - but before I do I make sure to say something so that she'll look up. No sense in asking for trouble.

I'd say the same thing with yours, if he's napping say something, let him know you're there so he doesn't someday accidentally react badly.

Bear can be like that, she doesn't growl though. She goes "oooaaaauuoowwwww", that noise that chewbacca from star wars always makes. Usually when I'm trying to get her to wake up to go out to do her 'business' before we go to bed.

The children never touch the dogs when they are sleeping, we taught them not to from day one. Dogs are like people in the sense that they need their own personal space to feel safe and relaxed. You invade their space, they'll likely not appreciate it too much.

well even dogs aren't humans, but sometimes the easiest way to understand why dogs do this and that is by taking a look at it from a human-like point of view. Imagine you're Argento. You're sleeping, and then the whole family ran to you and hug you and tease you. Would you be happy? I won't. I'd say that it's just one of his "let me sleeeeeeeep" moments. I remember he's 6 when you rescued him? Well he's nearing his senior years he'd be lazier by that time so let him have his peaceful nap time :)

I would step in and verbally let him know that he shouldn't take his complaint any further - but I would also see that the kids, in particular, don't disturb him when he is relaxing, and isn't likely to want to be disturbed. Siberians are often different from other breeds of dog - they tend to think for themselves a lot, and tend to be more independent. Some are very cuddly, and others tend to stand on dignity, and really don't like to be cuddled - unless it's on their terms!

• 3 weeks later...

AndyRoo (Andrew), Prince Andrew, Roo, earned his very first nickname the first night he was here and settled himself in the middle of our bed...Mr. Grumbles. I don't think it's aggression, it's more like a purr, but sometimes it's a don't bother me!:S

Our boy Gunner does this too. He grunts everytime he lays down...but like you said if hes laying on the couch comfortable, and one of us lean on him even on accident, he will grunt/grumble/"growl" under his breath. Like everyone said, i dont find it aggressive...just saying leave me be. We do find it kinda cute though lol.

• 8 years later...

I rescued my Siberian from an empty home, he was left behind by the tenants as a pup still. My furry baby has been with us a little over a yer and he acts like he owns this place ( lol ). On another note; he is a grouchy one, maybe bipolar, hes super happy running like crazy,jumping around, being silly,and loving at times, then all of a sudden he becomes vocal and grouchy by growling ,barking and wanting to be alone in his area/kennel.

Just this morning he was bullying my rottie because he was eating, mind you my Husky had already eaten and had play time in the yard with the rottie.

Bubba/husky confuses me with his mood swings.

22 minutes ago, Sandra said:

I rescued my Siberian from an empty home, he was left behind by the tenants as a pup still. My furry baby has been with us a little over a yer and he acts like he owns this place ( lol ). On another note; he is a grouchy one, maybe bipolar, hes super happy running like crazy,jumping around, being silly,and loving at times, then all of a sudden he becomes vocal and grouchy by growling ,barking and wanting to be alone in his area/kennel.

Just this morning he was bullying my rottie because he was eating, mind you my Husky had already eaten and had play time in the yard with the rottie.

Bubba/husky confuses me with his mood swings.

just think of it as a Husky Thing, I have one that once there is laughter on the TV she disappears upstairs....