Prong collars

Now that we all have voiced our pros and cons on the topic of prong collars, this now will give the individual who first posted this question about prong collars enough information to choose or not to choose this tool. It has been a very interesting thread on getting everyone's point of view of this topic. This is what we have enjoyed about being on HO, and that is people sharing their opinions, information and suggestions that make us all a better K-9 owner. Looking forward to the next posting of another training and behavior topic.

"To agree to disagree, to harness diversity, to respect dissent; perhaps this is the real essence of the Husky Owner's Forum"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we all have voiced our pros and cons on the topic of prong collars, this now will give the individual who first posted this question about prong collars enough information to choose or not to choose this tool. It has been a very interesting thread on getting everyone's point of view of this topic. This is what we have enjoyed about being on HO, and that is people sharing their opinions, information and suggestions that make us all a better K-9 owner. Looking forward to the next posting of another training and behavior topic.

:

"To agree to disagree, to harness diversity, to respect dissent; perhaps this is the real essence of the Husky Owner's Forum"

:clap: Here, here! :up: Great advice and everything you put so eloquently is true!

Why we ended up going with a Prong for a period of time with Fox? We'd tried a variety of harnesses that were meant to reduce pulling, we'd tried all of the techniques suggested here with him and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with 2 dogs that needed regular walking along with a toddler who in the last 8 months has only been more difficult than the dogs on walks. I think the last straw as far as frusration coupled with health and safety concerns were a month after I'd had a threatened misscarriage. Hours in the emergency room fairly certain that my pregnancy had been terminated was stressful to say the least. I have been pregnant 12 times and I have 5 children, at the time I had 4. My husband works 900 miles from home, and so just getting him to walk the dogs wasn't an option. I didn't want them to suffer or feel peanalized but Fox can pull 300lbs for a mile no problem (which meant that my oldest son whose only recently broken 100lbs was doing a lot of the walking)...

...long story short a prong worked for us. Fox pulled at the time when he was just with a collar hard enough to make himself vomit. There was a large concern for damaging his throat. I researched them before trying a prong, and at that juncture in time was more concerned with the dogs getting exercise while I was on bedrest than I was with prtty much anything else. We used a prong after Guy was born for both dogs primarily beaue I was on bedrest due to hemoraging and almost died 3 different times. This wasn't to be abusive or to shortcut things, but because it was an effective tool that made it possible for my oldest son t walk the dogs without me having to worry about his health and safety (ie being drug into the road, etc.). As I mentioned previously we're working on loose leash walking and healing presently on our walks and we seem to have found a system that works for our dogs (pull for a bit then switch to just their collars).

I am genuinely saddened that a group of such amazing people who represent in my opinion the best interest of the breed overall comes off as so terribly judgemental towards owners who choose to utilize this tool. It's not for everyone or all situations, but again I have to say that my concern for this particular tool will not ever be over the tool, but rather the abue of technique and training potential there. Good luck to the original poster, and thank you all for your feedback. As others have voiced I've enjoyed reading it.

SPOT ON!!! :)

Think now we have had the debate and its going round in circles a little now. Its nice however to see (for the most part lol) it being a civilised discussion :) As said above, lets now agree to disagree and close this one on a good note for a change.