Tribute to my best friend Bear.

It has been a few years now but I wanted to post a thread remembering my wonderful Bear.

My father brought a black chow puppy home for my brothers and me before I even started kindergarten (1993) and growing up I never went anywhere without my Bear Bear. We had many names for him: Booger, Boogerbutt, Booger Bear, Bear Bear etc. I remember him walking with me across town to the little league fields when I was in middle school and he would sit in the dugouts with me and my softball team during our games. We considered him out mascot. He would walk with me to the bus stop and wait with me and at 3:30pm when my bus came up to my house in the evenings right there he was waiting on me. He was there for me during some very difficult times in my life...my parents getting a divorce, moving away from all my friends and having to start new at another high school. He would go with me every day down to the horse field to work the horses and to go riding up into the fields and even on hikes. Thats one thing he really loved to do. He loved exploring and going on adventures with me. He was so important to me. He protected me when he felt I was being threatened. He stood in between me and someone trying to hurt me before. I can just go on and on about him. He was my everything. I ended up moving in with my mother and it broke my heart but bear had to stay with my dad. I hated being away from him and I kept troubling myself with "he doesn't know why I left him...", "why did I just leave him behind?", "where did she go?". I went to my fathers every weekend to see him. I made it a point. Well a few more years went by and his age started catching up with him. He couldn't go on his adventures anymore because his joints started hurting him so he spent most of his time laying on the carport sunbathing. His black coat turning brown from the sun. His muzzle once all black had turned grey and he would still wag his tail and get up to meet me when I came to visit. My dad called me on day and said Bear wasn't eating and he wasn't moving. He was just laying there and just didn't seem to have the strength to pick himself up. I knew where the conversation was going and I was told my cousin who worked for the animal control was going to end his suffering on the coming wednesday. I wanted to come see him every day until then. The last time I saw my Booger Bear was on monday afternoon. I was sitting on the carport with him, his head on my lap. I was rubbing his belly, he always enjoyed that. I remember leaning over him and I started to cry. I didn't want to say goodbye to him. I was so young when we got him I couldn't imagine my life without him. But I remember him lifting his head and licking my cheek. And as corny as this sounds its like he was wiping my tears away. As if he was saying "its okay. I'm never going to leave you.". The next day around noon I felt this sickness in my stomach. Like never before and my dad called me that evening and told me that Bear passed away on his own around noon that day. Needless to say I cried. Harder than I had ever cried before. My dad was on the other end of the phone crying with me. We both lost someone so special. I always say that the sickness I felt that day was in my gut I knew something had happened to Bear. I worried about it until I received that call from my dad.

Bear passed away May 28, 2008. A year after I graduated high school.

He was my best friend and I hope we made him as happy as he made us. I still miss him every day. When I talk about him I usually end up in tears.

I wanted to share his memory with you all. Dogs are truly amazing and I am so thankful to have had such a great boy to call my best friend and be there with me for 15 years.

I love you Bear. I'm so happy you are able to go on your adventures and explore once more. I miss you. :(

Below is a video I made in remembrance of him.

post-7299-13586053988721_thumb.jpg

post-7299-13586053991113_thumb.jpg

Edited by kmorganp
added link to video

This made me cry... ):

I'm very sorry about your loss, and I know how it feels to have a best friend there by you.

He sounds like a wonderful pal and I'm sure he was!

He's your guardian angel!

It really hurt losing him. Took me a few years but I have opened my heart up to another puppy and that hole in my heart that was left when Bear passed away is now filled with the love of my sweet Kyra. I'm determined to make her life as happy as I can. They love us with all they have and they deserve the same from us. Bear was an amazing friend and not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

It really hurt losing him. Took me a few years but I have opened my heart up to another puppy and that hole in my heart that was left when Bear passed away is now filled with the love of my sweet Kyra. I'm determined to make her life as happy as I can. They love us with all they have and they deserve the same from us. Bear was an amazing friend and not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

I totally agree with you.

I'm sure Bear knows that he was loves very dearly, and I am sure of it that he loved you just as much. :)