100ft lead

Hi,

I recently purchased a 100ft / 30m dog lead for my husky pup. I don't want my husky off-lead unless in a 100% secure environment so I plan to use the lead to allow my pup to have some degree of freedom whilst away from home. Playing fetch, running in the fields etc. I would also like to use it for recall training / wait training.

What would a good age be to start using this? My pup is only 4 months and, although the lead is lightweight, I was wondering if dragging such a lead might be too much for a young dog. My gut instinct is that it's ok, but I'd like to confirm it first.

I was also wondering about the best place to use it. I was thinking about somewhere with a natural (but not necessarily) secure boundary - a hedge or whatnot. That way he's more likely to turn around and run back towards open space and us. I'm a bit worried about using it in a wide open space in case he bolts, gets 100ft, and ends up with hurting himself when he discovers he's still attached to the lead!

I first used my 100ft lead on my dog Kiska during her very first walk at 11 weeks old :) The earlier you start, the earlier they'll learn how long the lead is, and therefore where they need to put on the breaks ;) As Nix said you'll need to use the long lead with a well fitted harness, and if you're worried about your dog injuring itself (or you!) by hitting the end too hard, you could consider adding a bungee to the dog-end of it so the stop is a little less sudden. They learn surprisingly fast - my 5 month old had never used one (and had barely been on a walk in her life!) when I got her 4 weeks ago but she has already learned where she has to stop, how to make the most of the space she has (by running in circles around me - I've found it makes her look to me more often too), how to avoid getting tangled (by sticking to the same side of tall obstacles as me), and how to untangle herself if she does get stuck (by retracing her footsteps and following the lead back to me rather than trying to take the most direct route).

Well, he definitely love that! Aside from a few tangles in the lead it went really well. I was surprised at how close he stayed to me. The only downside was that he was constantly running off to eat horse poo. God knows why but he loves the stuff!?