Arched back, should I be concerned?

Recently got a 9.5 month old white and tan siberian from a fellow airman here on base and I noticed a slight arch in his back at all times. I have a 1 year old female alaskan and I don't notice this in her back. I have till monday to decided if I am going to keep him or not. I paid 200$ and I found out afterwards that he has never seen a vet. Here is a picture of his back.post-7289-13586050784151_thumb.jpg

The sooner I can figure out what is going on the better.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing your responses.

It looks like something he was born with - to me it almost resembles a roached GSD back but without such a dramatic gradient. I can't tell you what that means physiologically though, or whether that would affect his health in any way.

Two dogs now, a glutton for punishment are we??

@sutsibe or @SA DA KA would be the best bets for answering this, I see what you're talking about and agree it looks odd. Since you say that he hasn't seen a vet, I think that that would be my first stop now.

From the kisses he's bestowing on your photography attendant, could you really think about giving him back?? :)

What are the comparative sizes of your two, my Alaskan male is probably two - three inches taller than my Sibe (female) -- and he's a lot more solidly packed than she is!

Edited by Al Jones

Two dogs now, a glutton for punishment are we??

@sutsibe or @SA DA KA would be the best bets for answering this, I see what you're talking about and agree it looks odd. Since you say that he hasn't seen a vet, I think that that would be my first stop now.

From the kisses he's bestowing on your photography attendant, could you really think about giving him back?? :)

What are the comparative sizes of your two, my Alaskan male is probably two - three inches taller than my Sibe (female) -- and he's a lot more solidly packed than she is!

post-7289-13586050786855_thumb.jpeg

The reason I'm thinking of giving him back is because personally I wanted a younger one, 4 months old or so so i can train it some. This guy is already set in his ways, he is potty trained but doesn't know any commands. I've tried to teach him but he really isn't having it. Another reason, is because if this arching is a problem, I don't want to be bombarded with vet bills right off the bat.

post-7289-13586050787572_thumb.jpeg

The reason I'm considering taking him back is because she is set in her ways and so is he so they fight a bit. I wanted something I could train like a 4-5 month old, and he doesn't really take to training, he hasn't been to a vet before so I have no idea what he could have and be giving to my alaskan.

[MENTION=1]Marc[/MENTION] is gonna tell me I'm being a bit over but that's just the way I am.

Tom, it sounds to me like you've made up your mind that things aren't quite right "after getting him recently" and you're looking for reasons. It doesn't matter, when you can say "recent" then there are going to be squabbles between an existing dog and a new dog, it isn't going to matter whether it's a 10 month or a 10 year old dog, they're going to have to take some time to settle in. It's going to take time for him to adjust to what you want from him.

I have a female Sibe who's bitten me not once, but twice - and both times seriously broken the skin; at five months in house we're still having discussions about where the bathroom is - it's not the kitchen floor! (( Damnit! )) Other than that she's a great dog, not too demanding but wants attention, is now getting along and playing with my Alaskan (( Okay! ENOUGH!!!! )) to the point that they can get on my last nerve - but it's good play - rough and roudy but fun!

You don't know what (diseases) he might have - er, guy, why wasn't your first stop on the way home at the vets? You didn't know any more then than you do now, but for some reason brought him home anyway.

I'm going to get stomped on but it appears to me as if you don't want this dog ( and he's a good looking / loving dog! ) for reasons that don't seem to have a lot to do with the dog....

(( think, do I really want to post this ..... ?? )) (( reread thread, yep, still do! ))

@Marc is gonna tell me I'm being a bit over but that's just the way I am.

Tom, it sounds to me like you've made up your mind that things aren't quite right "after getting him recently" and you're looking for reasons. It doesn't matter, when you can say "recent" then there are going to be squabbles between an existing dog and a new dog, it isn't going to matter whether it's a 10 month or a 10 year old dog, they're going to have to take some time to settle in. It's going to take time for him to adjust to what you want from him.

I have a female Sibe who's bitten me not once, but twice - and both times seriously broken the skin; at five months in house we're still having discussions about where the bathroom is - it's not the kitchen floor! (( Damnit! )) Other than that she's a great dog, not too demanding but wants attention, is now getting along and playing with my Alaskan (( Okay! ENOUGH!!!! )) to the point that they can get on my last nerve - but it's good play - rough and roudy but fun!

You don't know what (diseases) he might have - er, guy, why wasn't your first stop on the way home at the vets? You didn't know any more then than you do now, but for some reason brought him home anyway.

I'm going to get stomped on but it appears to me as if you don't want this dog ( and he's a good looking / loving dog! ) for reasons that don't seem to have a lot to do with the dog....

(( think, do I really want to post this ..... ?? )) (( reread thread, yep, still do! ))

[MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION] - Please dont assume what I am going to say. Its annoying.

I actually agree. As much as we love to give advice on the forum I fail to understand why you have got a dog that by the sound of it is not the age you wanted in the first place. I can understand the reasons you want a younger dog, however dont understand what you expected when you got an older dog in the first place. You have just stated you got the dog from someone on saturday night, so how do you have a clue what he is like to train? Im sorry but your shipping this dog from pillar to post and its not fair.

It's hard to say from the picture if there's likely to be anything wrong with his back - I think it's likely that he has what's considered a "wheel-back", more common in the racing lines, and actually more like that in a Greyhound than a Shepherd (regardless, it's exaggerated by how far his rear feet are underneath his body). It's a trait that allows a dog to gallop very, very fast, as the hind end can come up under the body, and then use extra leverage from the curve of the spine to propel the body forward - like a spring.

Many dogs will hold back at first in a new place, and won't be as cooperative until they get to know you. Some require you to prove yourself to them, before they're willing to really work with you, but when you do, watch out! They'll break their hearts to please...

The reason I'm considering taking him back is because she is set in her ways and so is he so they fight a bit. I wanted something I could train like a 4-5 month old, and he doesn't really take to training, he hasn't been to a vet before so I have no idea what he could have and be giving to my alaskan.

first of all, little scuffles are normal. Second of all, age has nothing to do with trainability. Last but not least, all huskies "doesn't really take to training". They ARE stubborn it has nothing to do with their age or physical condition. Plus, this is your new dog. In my honest opinion you are expecting way too much of your dogs

Well the whole training bit was more of an after though, I do love this dog. I was generally asking if his back was going to turn into something major.

I don't think that it will, as it does look to me more like something fairly typical of some of the racing lines. Can you get any more shots from the side where he's standing a little more relaxed (front and hind feet further apart)?

@Tomrob88 Thanks for not going off on us since - typically, we didn't know enough to be more laid back - my apologies if I seemed ( er, was ) inexcusably rude. But let's say this, we all do love our dogs!!

@sutsibe as usual has come through digging up from her wealth of knowledge - and probably taught more than a few of us about the "wheel-back" and from her comment, I can see how that would be a distinct advantage in racing, even if looking a bit odd to those of us who aren't racers.

@Marc sometimes I tend to go out on a limb, as I did here. You've said in the past that you don't read every message posted (( does anyone?? )) How do I get the staff to be aware that I think I may be pushing the boundaries ( or crossed them ) so they can take corrective action for me before I *really* put my foot in my mouth? Even though I'm blunt - I don't want to intentionally trounce all over someone toes.

It's hard to say from the picture if there's likely to be anything wrong with his back - I think it's likely that he has what's considered a "wheel-back", more common in the racing lines, and actually more like that in a Greyhound than a Shepherd (regardless, it's exaggerated by how far his rear feet are underneath his body). It's a trait that allows a dog to gallop very, very fast, as the hind end can come up under the body, and then use extra leverage from the curve of the spine to propel the body forward - like a spring.

Many dogs will hold back at first in a new place, and won't be as cooperative until they get to know you. Some require you to prove yourself to them, before they're willing to really work with you, but when you do, watch out! They'll break their hearts to please...

Absolutely well worded.