The Daily Guideline For Your Siberian

Hi - thanks for a great thread. We have had problems with Ozzy eating from day one. After numerous visits to the vet it was found that he has an intolerance to processed food, including treats and tinned food. With some dry food it doesn't even reach his stomach before making its way back up. We have tried numerous brands, all with the same results.

He is now on a home cooked diet. He eats three times a day. Morning and evening is a 'slightly' cooked meal with meat, veggies and rice - I cook for him once a week and freeze his food. Lunch time is raw - either chicken wings, necks, organs, pilchards (sardines), or meaty bones. He is doing extremely well on this diet and looks fantastic.

When I changed him over from dry, he all of a sudden became VERY food aggressive. I overcame this by stroking him while he ate, if he growled I removed the food. He soon realized I was not going to take it away as long as he behaved. After a week or two I was able to put my hand into his bowl without him growling.

The vet says Ozzy is doing extremely well, but still encourages us to re-try feeding dry after a couple of months- he says dry food is scientifically balanced?

If you've found a diet that suits your dogs stomach (and by the sounds of what your feeding its perfectly balanced) Then you stick with it! Most vets actually know very little about dog nutrition, particularly when it comes to huskies that have a different motabalism to other breeds. As most vets, whatever they do know is advised to them by the pet food brand that they are selling!!

Maybe just look into supliments like Zink, Glucosamin condroitin (sp?) some fish oils and omega 3 which can be provided by tinned fish like Tuna, sardines and Mackal as long as their in water or oil not sause.

Other than that I'd say what your feeding sounds fine!

For the thread: When Nuks was little we had alot of trouble finding a brand of kibble that suited her (most just gave her runny poos) until I thought, well why does she have to have kibble!?

So I started looking into raw feeding and now she has 3 meals a day

the first one she'll have half a tray of nature diet, a wet food that seems to agree with her just to make sure shes deffinatly getting everything she needs.

Second meal she'll either have half a block of price choice minced meat (different varities, rabbit beef etc) with some veggies (raw carrots or steamed peas) and maybe abit of rice or she'll have chicken three wings or one leg.

Third meal will be which ever one she didnt have at lunch and I've also just descovered price choice do chunks of beef, So this is now worked in there to!

Each meal I'll weigh out to make sure shes getting about 200g per meal.

She will also get an egg a week and a tin of fish like I mentioned above roughly once a week.

Shes 8 months old atm hasnt been weighed since 5 months but then she weighed 15kg so Im guessing now she weighs about 18kg or so... she looks a good shape, has a good fat cover over the ribs and a nice visable waist line and a lovely soft glossy coat. Just started her first season but hasnt yet blown her coat, but shes a medium coat length so dont think it should be tooooo bad when she does.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been researching which type of food and how often to feed our dog. We were told to feed her 3 times a day 1/2 cup. We increased it to 3/4 of a cup about 3 weeks ago because she seemed to to very hungry around feeding time ( she would literally jump up and down like a crazy dog when i pick up her food bowl, very funny to watch). Yesterday, her vet told me to feed her a little more than 1 cup 3 times a day. i think that a very large about of food but she eat every last bit of it. We have also had a few troubles with her stomach so her stool as been soft and that might be the cause of her crazy hunger. She is almost 5 months old but i think if i would elimiate the the 3rd feeding, she would be so hungry. What do you think...

thanks for the input. :) I relli enjoy this threads as there is so much information and it feels nice to hear from people with the same dogs. Its hard to read online and talk to people as there is not that much information specific to huskies out there.

Sibes don't need as much food as their size suggests, be careful about over feeding as this will result in the squits unsure.gif I dropped my boys from 3 feeds to 2 feeds at around 6 months old but people do it at different times, depends on your schedule as well :)

isha and keira have about 2 cups each a day, they just have it down all the time instead of meal times cos isha just picks during the day, some days i dont think she eats at all but she never looses weight and is heavier than keira who actually looks fat compared to isha, at the moment they are on bakers but they seem to go off food every so often and then like it a few months later, they always have a raw egg once a week, sometimes i will mix in a can of wet or some dog gravy, they also have the kids left overs which i hide at the bottom of the bowl to get them to eat a bit more of their food, they very rarely have runny poos which is great as its my job to pick it up :lol:

• 10 months later...

Glad I read through here; I think I've been over feeding mine! (I'm sure he doesn't mind though laugh.gif)

He's an adult and I've been feeding him dry food, about 1 and 1/4 cups twice daily. He's gained a bunch of weight but I figured thats been from inactivity as he's been on bedrest for a month and a half now with heartworm treatment. He weighs 58-59lbs now (used to be 53-54), and while he still has a dip before his back legs, he has definitely filled out a bit. I'm thinking I should reduce him down to 1 cup twice a day?

And just to note, he's still got another month and a half of down time before he can really exercise again :(

• 7 months later...

I'm actually pretty surprised reading this, to hear that so many people feed their dogs 3 times a day! I always figured twice was the norm, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Either way, I've found with my huskies I can only feed them once a day. Initially I was feeding 1 1/2 cups twice a day, but they were often refusing to eat the second meal or only picking at it. So I started feeding everything in one meal a day, and they were eating steady. But Scout was getting fat and once Wyatt was at an acceptable weight he started only eating every other day or so. So I dropped them both down to 2 cups in one feeding and they both eat fine. On meat days they usually get it about mid-day and still eat their supper fine.

They also get a ritual big cookie in the morning and smaller one at bedtime.

I always thought that it must just be a husky thing to eat only once a day, but I guess not!

Rusty will be 3 this October 31st. I just changed him over to adult food at the vets request to keep him on puppy to hope he gains weight.. He on a good day can weigh 45lbs. For the last year and a half that I have had him he has been a free feeder. I keep his food accessable at all times for him day and night. He is mostly a night muncher (after the sun goes down). Rusty's first owner as it was reported to me was a bit neglective. He was not fed properly at all. He shows no food aggression and often brings us he food to share. I have considered cutting him back to a 2-3x's a day feeding. I hace discussed this with my vet and he says that he will remain small and not continue growing unless he chunks up later on. He is very active (loves many long walks a day to see the horses). He is also unaltered which the vet says once he is fixed he may chunk up then to schedule feeding times. In a average day he eats about 2-3cups a day(from the front side of the bowl only).

My previous husky Sasha was fed 2x's a day. He was 5 months old and a large 55lbs. He was going to be a big boy. He was on a vegitarian diet as he was allergic to all animal product and biproducts.

Rusty will be 3 this October 31st. I just changed him over to adult food at the vets request to keep him on puppy to hope he gains weight.. He on a good day can weigh 45lbs. For the last year and a half that I have had him he has been a free feeder. I keep his food accessable at all times for him day and night. He is mostly a night muncher (after the sun goes down). Rusty's first owner as it was reported to me was a bit neglective. He was not fed properly at all. He shows no food aggression and often brings us he food to share. I have considered cutting him back to a 2-3x's a day feeding. I hace discussed this with my vet and he says that he will remain small and not continue growing unless he chunks up later on. He is very active (loves many long walks a day to see the horses). He is also unaltered which the vet says once he is fixed he may chunk up then to schedule feeding times. In a average day he eats about 2-3cups a day(from the front side of the bowl only).

My previous husky Sasha was fed 2x's a day. He was 5 months old and a large 55lbs. He was going to be a big boy. He was on a vegitarian diet as he was allergic to all animal product and biproducts.

wow my Kale weighs 58.8 pounds and eats a little less than 2 cups a day. What food are you feeding Rusty?

hm just looked at the ingredients list and there seems to be a lot of wheat, corn, by-products, and fillers that have no nutritional value. Some people may debate this, but personally I would switch his food to a higher quality. If you have a Costco where you live they make a very decent food that is grain free and is of much better quality and is about the same price. :)

• 1 month later...

I feel fortunate that our dogs have always been pickers. I fill their food bowls maybe once every 2-3 days and they just eat when hungry. It might be the food, we feed them Castor & Pollux ultramix which is perfect for huskies. No corn, wheat, soy, or by-products and is full of fruits and veggies. Kodi is 3 1/2 and has been eating this brand since she was 8 weeks and seems to love it (so much that she picks out all of the bananas before she'll touch anything else in it). Other than that I spoil them with fruits and veggies whenever I get myself a snack. Apples and broccoli are two of their favs!!

might i mention that Tyger is eating about 2-3 cups/ day ( twice a day; 1.5 in the am and 1.5 at night)of a mixture of Purinia pro plan and TOTW. i am trying to wean him off the purina which is what he was eating at his breeder. i dont feel that this is too much to feed since he is going to be a mammoth Husky weighing around 80 pounds. @ the moment he weighs around 30 pounds and is 4 months old. i wanted some ideas of veggie or berries i can add to his kibble.. mainly for variety/ taste but also different nutrients and antidioxidants.. hes an inside dog and i try to walk about 2-3 miles a week in the evening plus i take him to a dog park and let him run around.

might i mention that Tyger is eating about 2-3 cups/ day ( twice a day; 1.5 in the am and 1.5 at night)of a mixture of Purinia pro plan and TOTW. i am trying to wean him off the purina which is what he was eating at his breeder. i dont feel that this is too much to feed since he is going to be a mammoth Husky weighing around 80 pounds. @ the moment he weighs around 30 pounds and is 4 months old. i wanted some ideas of veggie or berries i can add to his kibble.. mainly for variety/ taste but also different nutrients and antidioxidants.. hes an inside dog and i try to walk about 2-3 miles a week in the evening plus i take him to a dog park and let him run around.

Well around this time of year, pumpkin and cranberries are great things to add and are easily available. Carrots, green beans, cucumbers, and celery are healthy additives as well.

• 5 months later...

this is a good post. I was wanting to start a similar one. When we got Kona and Jade at 12 weeks we fed about a 1/2 a cup twice a day. That's what the breeder was already doing. Now at 6 months they are getting 1 cup twice a day. We feed taste of the wild and they seem to be doing really well on that. But for us feeding time is crazy. They act like we NEVER feed them!! They go crazy, we finally got them to sit before we give them their meal. But they jump and wine. It's ridiculous. Then they inhale the food so fast they don't even chew it. A cup of food is gone in about a minute. Maybe 2 minutes. Is this normal? We were feeding them almost a cup and a half a day, but reduced it because they had the runny poos. Sometimes I wonder if we should be feeding them more.

I am having the SAME issue. My pup acts like I never feed him sometimes and always runs to you when you’re trying to eat. When he does eat, he finishes it in a minute or two, and when he is done he seems like he wants more. He is 4 ½ months old and I feed him Wellness Super5mix for puppies twice a day, 6am and 6pm and 1 ½ cups at each feeding. His poo’s have been pretty runny, and I thought it was the treats but reading this thread I am thinking I feed him too much. I am going to cut it down to just a cup every feeding and see how that works.

Hi,

Arya is just gone 6 months old now and she is a very fussy eater to.

I give her a cup and a half of kibble twice a day but sometimes in the morning she will eat sometimes not. every couple of days i will mix in a can of sardines in oil or tuna or even an egg into her breakfast. then she gets her kibble at night with a special meat pattie of either lamb or possum or chicken etc. she has been etaing this amount for the llast couple of months now i have slowly increasd as she has gottne older and am getting to the age now where i will start decreasing her amount slowly. the kibble i buy her has a weight of dog versus food amount and age. it says to give her around 360grams a day of kibble. plus does anyone else notice their husky has a sweet tooth? Arya will obsessively eat apples, carrots and any fruit she can get herpaws on! i always worry with her i am not feeding her right or enough or too much! this is my first husky - they turn you into worry worts!

kira is a female and is 2years old and weighs 20.90kg (46lbs)

Heres my weekly plan which I also add 2 scoops of Plaque off to each mornings feed:

MON - Am. Kibble & Peas with One raw egg / Pm. Four raw chicken wings

TUES - Am & Pm. Kibble & Naturediet

WED - Am. Kibble & Tuna/ Pm. Four raw chicken wings stuffed with One clove raw garlic

THUR- Am & Pm. Kibble & Naturediet

FRI - Am. Kibble & Peas / Pm. Four raw chicken wings

SAT - Am & Pm. Kibble & Naturediet

SUN - Am & Pm. Kibble & Naturediet

We are new puppy owner we have had Blue for over a month and can't get rid of runny poo...after reading the post I now know we are over feeding him. I am going to try twice a day one cup of kibble. He is almost six months old and weighs in at 27 pounds is two cups of food to much or not enough, I am so confused.

We are new puppy owner we have had Blue for over a month and can't get rid of runny poo...after reading the post I now know we are over feeding him. I am going to try twice a day one cup of kibble. He is almost six months old and weighs in at 27 pounds is two cups of food to much or not enough, I am so confused.

My adult boys who weight 56 and 62 american pounds eat 2 cups a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. Jessy, F, 2 yrs and about 40lbs. eats the same and needed to gain weight. Also, lots of treats....but only Andy has had runny poo when we got him and he had a parasite called coccidia. You might want to take a stool sample to your vet as well as feed him some ground turkey/chicken/or hamburger and white rice. It will pull his poo together.

This is going to sound really dumb but do I cook the meat? I read that some people give their dogs raw chicken that's why I ask. I will give him less food for sure. He was treated at the vet for something called Giardia he was really thin when we got him from the breeder and the vet gave us meds they are gone but he still has the runs. My husband is at witts end so I need to find a solution to the poo issues because he does it in the middle of the night in the kitchen and it's a mess to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to sound really dumb but do I cook the meat? I read that some people give their dogs raw chicken that's why I ask. I will give him less food for sure. He was treated at the vet for something called Giardia he was really thin when we got him from the breeder and the vet gave us meds they are gone but he still has the runs. My husband is at witts end so I need to find a solution to the poo issues because he does it in the middle of the night in the kitchen and it's a mess to say the least.

I had the same issue and still have it sometimes. I started feeding my 5 month old 1 cup twice a day and giving him a couple spoonfuls of canned pumpkin to firm up the stools. I also boil chicken breast and mix a few pieces in his food as well.