My name is Brad! I have an 8 week old Husky.

Well this was from a couple nights agoaefc958a-50b2-655b.jpg

They are absolutely adorable!

Are you and your room mate going to be living together for a long time? They look so attached to each other and if you moved later on it may be difficult on them to be separated. Just a thought...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For crate training... I'm not familiar with that yet. I do know that they have pooped in their crate twice in two weeks. I can tell they have only peed in the house a couple times. I do have a crate for them both to sleep in but every time I put them in there they whine and half howl for about ten minutes then they go to sleep. Should I separate them in their own crates soon?

Hi! Welcome to the pack!:up: Your pup is adorable!!:wub: If I were you , I'd consider crate training for potty and keep plenty, plenty of toys with which the puppy can occupy itself with so it doesn't be too destructive, the main thing with Husky Ownership is patience and laughter-you will need both to survive this wonderful breed. Just don't get discouraged and post what questions you have and we will all help out!

For crate training... I'm not familiar with that yet. I do know that they have pooped in their crate twice in two weeks. I can tell they have only peed in the house a couple times. I do have a crate for them both to sleep in but every time I put them in there they whine and half howl for about ten minutes then they go to sleep. Should I separate them in their own crates soon?

In my opinion you should. It will get cramped for the two of them. When I'm not home I put Kyra in her crate so she doesn't get into anything while we aren't home and we plan on using it even when she is full grown. If you did the same with them I would suggest two crates. It took Kyra a couple of weeks to get used to her crate and when we would go to bed at night but now she pretty much walks in when we mention bed and lays down and goes right to sleep. We keep a couple of toys in there with her just in case too.

First…those pups are SO cute! Second, I would agree on the crate training. It took me a lot of trial and error with getting Nikko crate trained and housetrained but it was worth it.

I keep his crate in my room so when it is bed time we both go to sleep and he does not whine or howl overnight. Now, when I would leave him in his crate and leave for work, that is a different story. It took quite awhile for him to be OK while I am gone.

For housetraining, that took about 6 weeks to fully housetrain Nikko, and was very frustrating! I had to basically follow him around waiting for him to go so I could train him to go to the back door. The key is feeding/watering and watching for the signs.

If they are eliminating in their crate it might be too big for them. I tried that and had to limit his space.

Hiya Brad, welcome on board :wave: Peanut is gorgeous! My female, Myshka was nicknamed Peanut by her breeder because she was peanut brown for the first few months!

You have got some good advice here about house & crate training the pups, I would separate them now, maybe have the cages next to each other if it is possible, so they can see each other but still have their own space; I would make the cage smaller in size too, use a divider for now so they feel more secure & it should help settle them. It will take a little while, maybe a week or to, but huskies are quick learners ;)

Beautiful pups. Crate training is a good idea especially when they hit the terrible teens. However, saying that I don't crate my two but they were older when I got them (9 and 13 months). Sometimes I wish they were especially when they decide they want me up at 4.00 am and are busy husky boxing as well.

Okay so I should put up the two crates for each. Then they should be able to crate train easier? When I go to work should I leave them in the crate or leave them on my back porch? They got out this weekend. Idk how but I came back home and both of them were sitting by my work truck. I'm glad they didn't leave the yard but man idk how they got out. I have all the pickets chicken wired so they can't squeeze through the pickets and there is a gate closing off the steps.

Hey! Welcome!

I have many years experience with this breed and currently own four huskyballs. Fencing is a great idea, but I would never leave a husky outside while you are at work. Never trust this breed outside alone, they are very creative and will find a way out no matter how strong you think your fence is. Three of my huskies stay in the house and one is crated (he loves to chew stuff) while I am at work. I also suggest start with early training, and make sure they know who is boss. They can be very stubborn. I have three very obedient huskies, however my fourth (Alpha male) is always challenging me to see what he can get away with :) Crate training is the way to go until they can be trusted in the house. It takes some longer than others, my three year old is still crated because he has eaten various pillows, bamboo shades, table legs, toys etc... and my best advice to give anyone...a tired husky is a very well behaved husky :)

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!

Okay so I should put up the two crates for each. Then they should be able to crate train easier? When I go to work should I leave them in the crate or leave them on my back porch? They got out this weekend. Idk how but I came back home and both of them were sitting by my work truck. I'm glad they didn't leave the yard but man idk how they got out. I have all the pickets chicken wired so they can't squeeze through the pickets and there is a gate closing off the steps.

Yes start out with two crates for each. Don't put them in the same crate, usually ends up in an argument and fur flying. I usually leave mine with a chew bone or an entertaining kong filled toy treat. I usually excersise mine before I crate them for work. (This was when they were younger) I only crate one dog now who still hasn't learned to stop chewing things in my house. The other three can be trusted inside alone. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Well me and my room mate tried to separate them into each of our rooms for the night but they would whine and not want to sleep.

But we took them to the vet today for shots and a check up.

Bandit weighs 28 lbs
Peanut weighs 27 lbs
And they are almost four months. They are getting big! Last saturday we weighed them at 20 and 18 lbs.