Does anyone else disagree with this to an extent?

I didn't mean you as an individual - and I apologize if you took it that way. I just meant it is one way for a breeder to be in control of where their pups go.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much either..........and, like you, I could afford it if I so desired to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited 3 breeders before purchasing Meeka. The first one I went to, He had a little of Huskies in one stall, a litter of labs in another stall, a little of poodles in another stall, etc ALL WITHOUT their parents. Did I fall in love with every single one of those puppies? Yes, of course I did...I also knew I would be paying $800 for a puppy who never learned bite inhibition, will most likely have health problems, and no matter how much love love love I give him/her it may not matter because it may be to late.

The next breeder I went to was just huskies but wouldn't let me see the mom- OR dad. When I asked why he said it was unnecessary and I stated it's actually pretty important. I would like to see her health- and why isn't she with her 7 week pups? He then told me hell take $200 off the price. I walked away.

I was so sad thinking each time I was coming home with a puppy. I was staring at an empty passenger seat with doggie toys each time.

I then went through a reputable breeder and met my little miss Meeka :) I saw her Mommy and her Daddy and the breeder asked me some SIberian Husky questions to make sure I had knowledge on the breed. He then gave me all of her papers ( AKC, her vet/shots paperwork, and 5 testimonials from other people that have purchased from him) He also recommended that I DO NOT breed Meeka, and I get her spayed. It was a long journey ( and a hefty fee) but it was worth it.

So, in answer, I think BYB are actually disgusting. SOME ( NOT ALL) look at dogs and think- oohhh money. Lets buy this bitch and make her have 4/5 litters and we make 10 grand easy. PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!!! I actually reported the two BYB to the ASPCA in PA because they can get fined etc. YES I feel so bad for those little puppies- they didn't ask to be brought into this world- and it's certainly not their fault that they were not properly bred, but if I felt bad enough for 1 then I would feel bad for ALL of them and quickly become an animal hoarder and we alllll know that path is NO GOOD :)

I would have to agree with the points that people need to do their research on the breed and be fully prepared on getting any pet. There are too many people that see that puppy at the store and have to have him, and of course as long as you have money you get the pet. That's a problem!

I like the breeders that ask alot of questions to try and weed out the people that do not know what they are getting into.

I dont think that charging a high amount is going to weed out the people that should not have a pet, but doing your homework will at least cut down on the amount of animals that end up in shelters.

i do agree with the points made that some of the "valid breeders" charge you an arm and a leg. They may have great bloodlines but let's get real, they are making money off of the dog. I love Luka and can't imagine my life without him now but there is just no way i would've paid 1000 dollars or more for him. When it was finally the right time for me to purchase my husky i searched everywhere and many dogs were well over a thousand dollars. That is insane. I understand breeders want to make sure they have picked good owners who will provide for and take care of their dog but they could be slightly more affordable. Luka was 650 and the breeders still wanted to make sure we were the right choice for their puppy. We met with them before Luka was even born and then again when he was born. There is also a clause in our contract that if for ANY reason we wish to get rid of him (like that's EVER going to happen haha) that we will return him to them.

I feel like if you want to help an animal, rescuing is the way to go, not providing a puppy mill with money.

Oh, there's no doubt that reputable breeders still want to make money. The difference is that it isn't their only interest. To me, a good breeder (of ANY animal) is one who has good, proven breeding stock (through genetic history, show standings or solid working ability), and taken all the responsible health checks/assurances. It's as much about, if not improving the breed, at least creating quality dogs. It's so much more than purebred + purebred = more purebreds. [MENTION=53]Austinville[/MENTION] covered it quite aptly - there's a lot of cost associated with quality dogs, so the price goes up in order to both turn that profit and weed out whimsical owners.

It's not impossible to have a good, responsible backyard breeder - someone who maybe tosses out one litter a year because they enjoy it, have an acceptable dog and found a good stud. But again, ethically it comes down to why are they breeding? To provide a service? Because they enjoy raising puppies? If not for the betterment of the breed or the reproduction of a proven working dog, what reason do they have for contributing to the dog population? That's a question I would like answered if I ever entertained the idea of buying a puppy.

I think rescuing a dog is a wonderful, magical experience that i one day hope to explore. I would love for Luka to have a friend one day and i would like to adopt a husky to fulfill that need. However, rescuing isn't for everyone. I completely agree that shelters and rescue groups screen each individual dog before they are even adoptable but it still is a risk allowing a full grown dog into your home. (exp. when you already own a pet) True, the rescue group/shelter will generally be able to tell you if they get along with other dogs but what if you bring him or her home and they don't get along with your pet? What then? Send him on his way packing or risk your pet's safety? That really is my only genuine concern. I know they do home visits beforehand. (well at least the rescue groups around where i live do) but it still bothers me.

If that's your only concern about a rescue I think you will find your fears easily alleviated! Some rescues do home evaluations/visits, some want you to bring your dog to meet the potential new one. I've done this every time I've rescued. Once I fell in love with a big brindle, pit/mastiff mix, so I brought my dog to meet him and several other potential dogs. She ignored every one of them until the brindle came out. She instantly rushed the fence at him. Sadly he wasn't the dog for me. As much as I enjoyed that dog's personality, it just wasn't worth it to take the risk of working on it. It's not fair to the existing dog. And if you thought things were going to work out but they don't, shelters will always accept the dog back. They'll find a new home for them.

Being fearful of bringing an adult dog into your home is something I don't really understand either. But then, there are lots of people who cannot even control puppies or handle their biting and "aggression" so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that people would be afraid of a mature dog...

As it stands there's not enough regulations concerning breeders/puppy mills/BYB's and, for that matter, mandatory spaying/neutering of dogs/cats. That being said, health issues may be an issue whether buying from a breeder or from a puppy mill/BYB, but they all still deserve a loving home even if the dog has a short life span due to genetic problems. At least you would have given the dog a happy life although short lived... I couldn't afford the cost of what these Husky breeders were asking for their pups so I researched daily to find the right one for the price I could afford. This doesn't make me any lesser of an owner than if I spent a $1000.00 for her. I consider myself a damn good owner and have consistently looked for new ways to maintain a healthy and happy Husky. This is why I spend so much time on this forum to better myself and even throw in my 2 cents of experience if it helps others. That's all I have to say concerning this subject!!

If that's your only concern about a rescue I think you will find your fears easily alleviated! Some rescues do home evaluations/visits, some want you to bring your dog to meet the potential new one. I've done this every time I've rescued. Once I fell in love with a big brindle, pit/mastiff mix, so I brought my dog to meet him and several other potential dogs. She ignored every one of them until the brindle came out. She instantly rushed the fence at him. Sadly he wasn't the dog for me. As much as I enjoyed that dog's personality, it just wasn't worth it to take the risk of working on it. It's not fair to the existing dog. And if you thought things were going to work out but they don't, shelters will always accept the dog back. They'll find a new home for them.

Being fearful of bringing an adult dog into your home is something I don't really understand either. But then, there are lots of people who cannot even control puppies or handle their biting and "aggression" so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that people would be afraid of a mature dog...

My major reason for wanting to rescue is simply to skip the puppy stage. it's been fun with Luka but i'd love to have a potty-trained sweet boy in my home next. That makes me feel better that rescues make sure they can adapt in your home before you can adopt. Eases my mind.

And i do see the point in paying more money for a higher quality bloodline. (breeding purposes) but like i said, my choice was to have a "pet quality" husky. He has papers, the breeders were very knowledgable, he has no health problems, and is guaranteed against hip and eye problems. And as previously stated I had to sign a contract that i would return him if i wished to get rid of him.They also requested i email them pictures occasionally (big give away on that they care about their dogs). Just proves there are quality breeders out there that don't charge a ridiculous sum of money.

My major reason for wanting to rescue is simply to skip the puppy stage. it's been fun with Luka but i'd love to have a potty-trained sweet boy in my home next. That makes me feel better that rescues make sure they can adapt in your home before you can adopt. Eases my mind.

And i do see the point in paying more money for a higher quality bloodline. (breeding purposes) but like i said, my choice was to have a "pet quality" husky. He has papers, the breeders were very knowledgable, he has no health problems, and is guaranteed against hip and eye problems. And as previously stated I had to sign a contract that i would return him if i wished to get rid of him.They also requested i email them pictures occasionally (big give away on that they care about their dogs). Just proves there are quality breeders out there that don't charge a ridiculous sum of money.

LOL, that's a big part of why I do it to - I do NOT like dealing with puppies! I've done it several times, and I'd do it again if I had to, but I'd much rather deal with an adult dog any day.

If only all breeders were like yours! It would be a total non-issue!

LOL, that's a big part of why I do it to - I do NOT like dealing with puppies! I've done it several times, and I'd do it again if I had to, but I'd much rather deal with an adult dog any day.

If only all breeders were like yours! It would be a total non-issue!

LOL. i would do it again but if i can find another male (which from browsing online will be extremely easy) i will sign up in a heart beat. I have planned from the beginning to have 2, i just feel like Luka should be older before we get him a brother. We are working with bite inhibition right now with Luka (basically trying to spare my toes from his razor blades otherwise known as teeth.) :arghh: it'd be so nice to skip all of that. lol

i'm actually surprised i found the breeders i got Luka from. They had 2 litters this year and that's it for a long time. They really don't want you to breed their dogs either. I did a lot of research before i started puppy shopping so I knew what to look for.

Living in an area considered as the Puppy Mill capital of the world (quebec, Canada), I totally understand everyone's opinion concerning this subject, but I didn't want to spend $700-upward for a Husky used for showing, racing, or breeding. I received mine through an accidental litter and have no regrets. I was able to view where the litter stayed, chose my pup based on temperament / behavior / submissiveness (is this a word?), and was able to take the pup to the vet for a full checkup before committing to it for a fraction of what it would have cost me at a breeder. I think its ridiculous the amount of money a breeder wants for a pup. It's utterly absurd to believe that some legitimate breeders don't breed for the money. C'mon people, don't be so naive...

We shouldn't assume this. We have lots of stereotyping in this thread. I realize you said "some" legitimate breeders breed for money. Respectfully, I disagree. If they breed for money, they are NOT reputable. Those are BYBs. Legitimate (I personally think we should use the word Reputable... since legit doesn't mean they are awesome breeders) breeders for instance don't make money off the dogs. A good breeder is lucky to break even. Do you all even know how much it costs to ensure that sire, dam, grandparents, and pup are all medically sound? Thousands of dollars. Eyes, hips, thyroid, knees, and more have to be tested yearly to ensure the puppies' pedigree is sound. And sometimes health problems still sneak in. If that problem is genetic... its the breeders responsibility to pay for any complications the health issue brought on. For the rest of the life of the dog even. With that being said, I'm not saying all breeders who don't stick to these guidelines are horrible, but they're taking a huge risk!

Also, not all byb are in it for the money they're just ignorant. I personally think you should have tons of money to play with before you want to breed as a hobby. It is so expensive if done correctly! So while I agree that some breeders do breed for the money, I do NOT agree that they should be called anything more than a byb therefore that last sentence in that post is moot point. Do not assume all breeders charging over a thousand are "ridiculous" they have to charge that to pay for all the medical tests that ensure the pups won't be plagued later on in sicknesses that could've been avoided. And they still have to chip in their own money at times!

I used to want to breed Alaskan Klee Kai. I had a breeder that was hand picked from the breed developer herself to mentor me. I watched as this breeder struggled with decisions and financial difficulties. She wasn't goin to "sell" me a puppy. She was going to give me one because of the breed developers faith that I wanted to do it right. This breeder was even willing to give me a dog from her own breeding program. The bitch was already two, which is the recommended age to have a first litter. There are a few reasons to wait this late... and even then, one of her puppies developed Juvenile Cataracts. The dam was over two, had tested to be medically sound, and still threw pups with issues. So, the breeder had to pay for every puppy from that dam to be fixed and some were even returned to her as they were sold as breeding potential before. The breeder was devastated, and has now resolved to wait four years to breed any dog or bitch. She has long ago decided to stop mentoring me since she considers herself as a failed breeder. This changed my mind completely. I will always recommend to spay and neuter unless you are financially prepared for situations such as these. You never know what lies in the medical history of any dog unless you pay for the health and genetic testing.

I hope this didn't make anyone mad, I do hate confrontation. But I could no longer sit by without sharing my experiences with you all. I hope the message reaches you all in good standing and the best of intentions from me. :-)

It's kind of funny how times have changed... Decades ago families used to obtain mutts from accidental breedings for free, feed them Purina Dog Chow and/or table scraps, and live as their family pet until 14 + years. Now the dog industry is a multi-billion dollar per year business. I must admit, I'm guilty of this as well. I spend to ensure my dog eats a well balenced meal, routine vet visits, search for proper healthy treats, etc.... I don't ever remember my parents making a fuss over our family dogs like I do with mine and they lived a good ripe old age. Things are just not simple anymore...

It's kind of funny how times have changed... Decades ago families used to obtain mutts from accidental breedings for free, feed them Purina Dog Chow and/or table scraps, and live as their family pet until 14 + years. Now the dog industry is a multi-billion dollar per year business. I must admit, I'm guilty of this as well. I spend to ensure my dog eats a well balenced meal, routine vet visits, search for proper healthy treats, etc.... I don't ever remember my parents making a fuss over our family dogs like I do with mine and they lived a good ripe old age. Things are just not simple anymore...

I dunno, I think it depends on your experience. Every dog that I remember from back in the day that was fed table scraps and grocery store dog food was overweight, had issues, and while some did survive to the 14 year mark, not many did.

I think if we go farther back to when people ate less processed foods their dogs were no doubt healthy, but the average North American (and I suspect European) diet in recent times contains a whole lot more carbs, high salt content in meats, and artificial/highly processed foods - none of which is healthy for a dog (or a human, really).

But I agree with your first statement - it's interesting that accidental litters of random dogs were free (granted they wouldn't have had all their shots, etc, but free's still free), but throw in a bit of clever advertising and the success of a single mix gaining huge popularity (I'm looking at you, labradoodles) and suddenly they're the latest hot commodity, not matter what the mix is!

Lol I was thinking that too! I just think it is because we weren't as educated back then.. especially about what goes into most dog foods... and Ive come to realize that this goes far beyond care of pets. Take a look at how we raise children, and cell phones, I mean things were different then, but looking back, some people think, how did one survive back then? They were a stronger but less educated generation that's for sure. :)

I dunno, I think it depends on your experience. Every dog that I remember from back in the day that was fed table scraps and grocery store dog food was overweight, had issues, and while some did survive to the 14 year mark, not many did.

I think if we go farther back to when people ate less processed foods their dogs were no doubt healthy, but the average North American (and I suspect European) diet in recent times contains a whole lot more carbs, high salt content in meats, and artificial/highly processed foods - none of which is healthy for a dog (or a human, really).

But I agree with your first statement - it's interesting that accidental litters of random dogs were free (granted they wouldn't have had all their shots, etc, but free's still free), but throw in a bit of clever advertising and the success of a single mix gaining huge popularity (I'm looking at you, labradoodles) and suddenly they're the latest hot commodity, not matter what the mix is!

The food was HEALTHIER lol why didn't I think of that?? Wow, I feel dumb. lol