Panting

Chip

For the past three nights Shadow has woke up and started panting and pacing, he sleeps in the bedroom, uncrated, with me and Storm, it does not appear to be a temperature thing although I don't have a thermometer to check, so I take him out to toilet in case he's that kind of desperate, he does go but as soon as he's in he's panting again, this is new behaviour for him so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is a common reason.

:confused1:

I actually dealt with this once with my Taz, he was up all day and night, whining and pacing and panting. Didn't appear to be in any pain, etc and it was out of the norm for him! Just could not get him to relax. I took him to the vet and the cause of his discomfort was a skin infection near his groin (yikes!). I would have never know, it was under mass amounts of fur and he never went at it at all. The vet only found it because he got real touchy when she went near it. He got a prednisone shot and some meds and was perfectly fine after that! I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it taught me that you never know, there could always be something underlying, like I said, I would have never even thought of anything like that!

I actually dealt with this once with my Taz, he was up all day and night, whining and pacing and panting. Didn't appear to be in any pain, etc and it was out of the norm for him! Just could not get him to relax. I took him to the vet and the cause of his discomfort was a skin infection near his groin (yikes!). I would have never know, it was under mass amounts of fur and he never went at it at all. The vet only found it because he got real touchy when she went near it. He got a prednisone shot and some meds and was perfectly fine after that! I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it taught me that you never know, there could always be something underlying, like I said, I would have never even thought of anything like that!

That never occurred to me either, sounds like very similar behaviour though, if it carries on I'll have him checked over at the vets, thanks for the reply, knowledge is power:up:

hope you can pin point it x

thanks, me too, he's fine in every other way except this new development which made me think it might just be a state of mind if that's possible:confused:?

He's finally settled down with the fan on full and the window open so might get a sleep tonight after all:rolleyes:

Hope you can figure it out and resolve it! Is it always around the same time of night? Could it be possible that something happens outside around that time (if so) that would make him nervous or anxious? (Like someone going by on their way to work very early or home very late?)

Hope you can figure it out and resolve it! Is it always around the same time of night? Could it be possible that something happens outside around that time (if so) that would make him nervous or anxious? (Like someone going by on their way to work very early or home very late?)

I don't think it has any outside influence as it's throughout the night, he's actually just got up off his bed, began to pant and gone and lied down in front of the door so maybe it's anxiety of being contained to one room? though he hasn't had this problem before and I cant think of any reason for it to have developed, he doesn't seem to have any sensitive areas where he doesn't want you to touch like lovemysiberian (Jackie) had experienced, and according to my fan it's 19 celsius in here (66 Fahrenheit) so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening - :duh:Brainwave: I started him on a dry food last week, the only thing that's changed, should've thought of that before, I'll try cutting that out again and see if it improves, :thankyou:for the reply

:huskyrocks:

I suppose that the dry food could be part of the problem - could certainly cause some gas issues... LOL, 66F is considered pretty warm around my house, at least until summer!

Luckily he's not too bad with gas issues lol but I'll see how things go, maybe consider experimenting with other dry mixes if this turns out to be the problem, and to be honest I've never trusted the thermometer on the fan because it's built in, and seems to give you the temperature of the fans motor, so it's likely a few degrees cooler than it says, you can imagine, british weather, window open and fan on full in front of window after midnight = cold lol.

Thanks again for the replies

I had this trouble with Mya panting all night not too long ago. She also had a skin infection and because of her thick fur it wasn't noticable until it started weeping. The vet said she probably had a high temperature because of the infection hence the panting. Once the infection was treated she stopped panting :)

Just a quick update, Shadow's been off the dry food for about 3 days now and and the panting seems to have stopped, still not exactly sure why this happened but he won't be having that dry food again which btw was a potato and salmon dry mix, if anyone's wondering.