*Sigh* May have to find Tink a New Home

And I'm so frustrated. Our neighbors don't mind noise generally...they LOVE to watch the huskies play...but our beagle drives them insane. Every time they go outside with or without their furbaby she goes absolutely nuts...not like a little nuts...but like making the whole world realize that there's someone she's aware of nuts.

They've started to knock on our door to complain about HER noise specifically...I wouldn't have believed there was a dog that made Huskies seem quiet, but we have one. We've worked with her for a year to try to curb the barking and the howling and it's just not happening..so we're to the point where I can keep her in all the time, let the neighbors file noise complaints and pay fines...or find her a new home. I hate this. She drives me insane but not like anything I can't tolerate...it's not fair to keep her in all the time though, and it's not fair to my neighbors that they can't take their dog out to play because Tink has a coronary.

I don't know...I'm just so frustrated right now. She's a beagle. Beagles are loud...how else will they let you know where the Rabbits are hiding?

A good portion of it has to do with her breed. Beagles were bred to hunt rabbits. There's some amazing field competitions that span miles of acerage you can actually participate in...but one of the reasons they have such a howl is so that their handler/hunter is able to follow the sound and meet them where they've managed to find something. With her we've been to the hills and back...she's good with small kids, good with other dogs, great with people in general...just loud. We've done the spraying in the mouth, we've worked with three different trainers, and a variety of tools..deterants...

It's like with Huskies...you can work against their prey drive or train them sometimes under supervision to be tolerant of smaller animals...but it's always going to be there.

My neighbors are nice people...and I can imagine the railings I'd be having if their dog went insane EVERY time I walked out my back door....but yeah I'm just super frustrated tonight...

I don't know...I really don't tonight.

I know how loud they can be as my friend has one and when something sets him off I can hear him well over half a mile away. Have they tried interacting with him so that he understands they aren't a threat ( or rabbits in disguise) Maybe if you could get them onboard to give him treats when he is quiet. Don't know what your garden setup is like so it might not be workable.

:grouphug: having had to give up a dog myself do to the non stop "talking" I have to say it's a frustrating decision to be faced with. I agree that Bec may have some techniques you haven't tried yet that may help. Have you maybe tried going to a beagle forum to try to get some other advice?

I'm sorry to read this. There is a nighbor on my road who owns a beagle who makes a lot of noise as well. But, they are fortunate because they live at the end of my street (it dead-ends), so only a few people would hear it really. He howls every single time I walk by the house with the boys though so I do know how loud he can be.

Hmmmm... wish there was something I could think of that hasn't been mentioned yet. Good luck to you.

It's spring cleaning weekend and I've been busy since this started. This was a really hard choice for me, and this week has had a lot of tears involved. Ultimately it came down to...our neighbors have been patient, and we're going to be living here for a long time. It's not fair to them that they can't enjoy their yard or outside without Tink Baying constantly at them. We would be able to afford the citation the first time and maybe the second time, we wouldn't be able to sustian that over a long period of time, it would be taking money away from our household and therefore away from Fox and Eponine, and ultimately my children. We could keep her inside all the time and only take her out for walks, but she's so much happier when she's off lead and playing.

I'm amazed at how butt hurt people were over things (not here). Some memorable quotes from this week include:

• What does it matter if we have rabbits that we let roam free in the house? (some of you may know that beagles are bred for rabbit hunting, Tink's had some scent training, and she has in fact killed a wild rabbit before...so this is a mattering thing)

• Why do you need to see my house?

• If she's spayed does that mean she can't be used for breeding?

• How important is fenced yard to you? I mean sure we live on a major highway and have had a hound dog that's been run over on said highway before because she was following a scent...but we'll just tell her that these are her boundaries and show her the line a couple times.

• She's up to date on her shots and spayed, why do you need to know my vet's contact information?

• How good is she at keeping children out of trouble?

• Our other dog is dog aggressive, do you think that we'd be able to overcome this with Tinkerbell?

• Why do I need to research beagles? I mean a dog's a dog.

• Why does it matter if my neighbors are bothered by noise?

We did three homechecks after my barrage of questions, phone calls, and playdates....she ended up going to live with a family who already has another female beagle. They've agreed to contact me if things don't end up working out and we'll take her back in. She left yesterday and it was so much harder than I thought it would be. I'm going to miss her so much, but with regular trips to the dog park, and the freedom to be herself...well I think in the end she's going to be happier.

Aww Steph I'm so sorry :grouphug: People can be heartless and really dumb sometimes sorry it was a rough go to rehome her. I'm very glad she found a place with another beagle though dogs always seem a special kind of happy when they are around their own breed don't they :) It sounds like she found a great home though and if she gets lots of dog park trips she'll be on top of the world :D