Please talk me out of it! >_<"

Actually I LOVE rats!! I've had them several times before, and when I worked at a pet store I tried to promote them like you are now. It was always an uphill battle, people just judged them for their tails...so sad. But unfortunately for me now...my husband is allergic to them. :cry1: At least I have a strong idea that he probably is, he had a pet hamster before he met me that he was allergic to and (love him) he kept that little hamster until she died of old age, even though the doctor nagged him to get rid of her.

I might have to make that suggestion though, maybe if he doesn't handle them at-all and we keep their cage very clean, we could make it work...maybe. It's more of his hands breaking out, and he said sometimes he sneezes but not too much. Funny enough, I have never seen rats at the pet stores here in Japan, not yet anyway. Not even mice! (I love mice too) It might involve visiting one of those crazy Japanese exotic pet shops that have

and other creatures I question should be available as pets like that. :confused:

a little sneezing doesn't equal allergy ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sure if Japan had pet rats either lol. Maybe you could work something out with and your husband won't be allergic to them *crosses fingers* What is it about certain animals that causes him to break out? If hair maybe get hairless rats ;)

And just to share here's pics of my boys lol

Awww they're precious!! Well i'll look into it, no harm checking things out anyway! The allergy trigger varies from person to person. It can be the proteins from the saliva, or the dander I believe? I'm not sure what is his key trigger though. It's possible a hairless rat might still set him off if it's from the saliva for example, but if we can find one, we can always have him hold on and see how his hands are later.

a little sneezing doesn't equal allergy ;)

Ah yes...but...when your fingers become swollen, broken, bleeding, and look more like zombie fingers...it is an allergy I think. :( Dust does it to him as well actually if we don't vacuum at least once a week or more. Poor guy...I am lucky not to have any allergies, and I hope I never develop one.

Ah yes...but...when your fingers become swollen, broken, bleeding, and look more like zombie fingers...it is an allergy I think. :( Dust does it to him as well actually if we don't vacuum at least once a week or more. Poor guy...I am lucky not to have any allergies, and I hope I never develop one.

oops poor guy.. maybe if he didn't touch the rats he'll be OK

oops poor guy.. maybe if he didn't touch the rats he'll be OK

I think so too...but I know he'll try to cuddle with them anyway. :( He loves animals too. It would be hard for me to avoid cuddling too, there's just something magical about cuddling furries. I am so thankful birds haven't been an allergy issue for him though, otherwise all we would have until I can get a Husky are fish, hermit crabs and other crawlies. I love my crawlies, but I miss animal cuddles and the bird isn't interested as much as I try to cuddle with her. Boo...:duh:

I think so too...but I know he'll try to cuddle with them anyway. :( He loves animals too. It would be hard for me to avoid cuddling too, there's just something magical about cuddling furries. I am so thankful birds haven't been an allergy issue for him though, otherwise all we would have until I can get a Husky are fish, hermit crabs and other crawlies. I love my crawlies, but I miss animal cuddles and the bird isn't interested as much as I try to cuddle with her. Boo...:duh:

Hey, isn't there this kind of test to see what triggers someone's allergy? Don't you think he should know what is triggering his allergy? Because if he's allergic of pets' fur... A husky is, sadly, not for you :confused:

Hey, isn't there this kind of test to see what triggers someone's allergy? Don't you think he should know what is triggering his allergy? Because if he's allergic of pets' fur... A husky is, sadly, not for you :confused:

He was already tested, but it was a long time ago so he can't remember all the details. What he remembers is no hamsters, no cats, dust is bad, but dogs are okay and he does just fine with them. We know hamster make him break out, doctor said no birds but birds are fine actually. :confused:

He was already tested, but it was a long time ago so he can't remember all the details. What he remembers is no hamsters, no cats, dust is bad, but dogs are okay and he does just fine with them. We know hamster make him break out, doctor said no birds but birds are fine actually. :confused:

the doctor didn't say "no rats" :clap:

the doctor didn't say "no rats" :clap:

More importantly he didn't say "no dogs" !!! :D (i'm secretly a little sad about no cats, but at least dogs are ok)

...but i'm taking a guess that rats and hamster might have similar allergy triggers. I could be completely wrong, but we'll see. I'm not sure they have specific tests for them. The hamster was just observational I think. "Oh your hands are broken and swollen? Oh you have a hamster? That's why, get rid of it." :confused:

More importantly he didn't say "no dogs" !!! :D (i'm secretly a little sad about no cats, but at least dogs are ok)

...but i'm taking a guess that rats and hamster might have similar allergy triggers. I could be completely wrong, but we'll see. I'm not sure they have specific tests for them. The hamster was just observational I think. "Oh your hands are broken and swollen? Oh you have a hamster? That's why, get rid of it." :confused:

well they're both rodents... but IMO their coat type is different (idk never held a rat before) so he'll be fine??

well they're both rodents... but IMO their coat type is different (idk never held a rat before) so he'll be fine??

If we can find rats and get him to hold them a few times, then we'll know for sure. It's entirely possible for him to be allergic to hamster and not rats, but I am trying not to get my hopes up, just in case.

It would be so much easier if I could just get a Husky and be done with it! :duh:

If we can find rats and get him to hold them a few times, then we'll know for sure. It's entirely possible for him to be allergic to hamster and not rats, but I am trying not to get my hopes up, just in case.

It would be so much easier if I could just get a Husky and be done with it! :duh:

be patient, there's a time for everything :) with your rat and bird as a companion, you'll get your husky before you know it :D

Here's hoping you can test with the rats and maybe things will work out, hairless or the furry kinds lol. Could always get sweaters for the hairless ones haha. They won't be the same as a husky but it will give you something to cuddle until you can welcome a doggy into your life :D Here's hoping something works out. Keep us posted :D

Here's hoping you can test with the rats and maybe things will work out, hairless or the furry kinds lol. Could always get sweaters for the hairless ones haha. They won't be the same as a husky but it will give you something to cuddle until you can welcome a doggy into your life :D Here's hoping something works out. Keep us posted :D

Will do! I took some time to think about it, and I am suddenly...very interested in the rat idea. I remember Pinjo I had a long time ago, I even took him to the park! Poor guy was so scared of everything though, I got him as an adult and just did my best. If I get a rat now, I would get a baby for sure and really socialize it. What is the youngest you can safely adopt a rat? I need to brush up on my rat research...it's been a long time.

A rat would also be more appropriate for us money-wise. A ferret is do-able, but tight. I know rats are a little bit more affordable, which means we could provide for a couple of rats with little issue. And it would be a better match for our bird we already have, I wouldn't have to worry so much. Only issue is the allergy concern, which ill try to check out. I think in a pinch, i'll do all the cleaning/necessary handling and -maybe- ... just -maybe- if hubby decides to cuddle and washes his hands RIGHT AWAY after...it could work out? I don't mind nagging him to remember, I nag him all the time anyway. :P

First though, I need to find rats. I know they are here, goodness it would be strange not to find rats anywhere. :confused:

Oh...and this is just cute overload! I searched YouTube to see if anyone has pet rats in Japan and found this video. Enjoy Fallon!

whXHbNDx9D4

Will do! I took some time to think about it, and I am suddenly...very interested in the rat idea. I remember Pinjo I had a long time ago, I even took him to the park! Poor guy was so scared of everything though, I got him as an adult and just did my best. If I get a rat now, I would get a baby for sure and really socialize it. What is the youngest you can safely adopt a rat? I need to brush up on my rat research...it's been a long time.

A rat would also be more appropriate for us money-wise. A ferret is do-able, but tight. I know rats are a little bit more affordable, which means we could provide for a couple of rats with little issue. And it would be a better match for our bird we already have, I wouldn't have to worry so much. Only issue is the allergy concern, which ill try to check out. I think in a pinch, i'll do all the cleaning/necessary handling and -maybe- ... just -maybe- if hubby decides to cuddle and washes his hands RIGHT AWAY after...it could work out? I don't mind nagging him to remember, I nag him all the time anyway. :P

First though, I need to find rats. I know they are here, goodness it would be strange not to find rats anywhere. :confused:

Oh...and this is just cute overload! I searched YouTube to see if anyone has pet rats in Japan and found this video. Enjoy Fallon!

whXHbNDx9D4

I'm not 100% sure but I think rats are weened between 6-8 weeks and can go home during that time. I believe my first pair of rats were 8 weeks when we got them. My males were 4-6 ish months when we got them. Kabuki my white one with the grey cape is super friendly and was handled more as a youngster. Shinobi the grey one is still friendly but wasn't handled as much and can be a bit standoffish. And OMG that video is super cute! I really hope it'll work out for you, give ya something to cuddle while waiting on a husky :D And if you get it as a baby like you said you can socialize it and take it out places. I think they can be leash trained but not 100% sure on that one. Just curious are you thinking males or females?

I'm not 100% sure but I think rats are weened between 6-8 weeks and can go home during that time. I believe my first pair of rats were 8 weeks when we got them. My males were 4-6 ish months when we got them. Kabuki my white one with the grey cape is super friendly and was handled more as a youngster. Shinobi the grey one is still friendly but wasn't handled as much and can be a bit standoffish. And OMG that video is super cute! I really hope it'll work out for you, give ya something to cuddle while waiting on a husky :D And if you get it as a baby like you said you can socialize it and take it out places. I think they can be leash trained but not 100% sure on that one. Just curious are you thinking males or females?

I did some Googling and got about the same answer, about a month or so. Isn't that video adorable?? :wub: I hope it works out too, at this point discussions involve my husband being concerned about his allergies, although he does want to make me happy, so we are a bit torn on the issue. :confused: This morning, I suggested we find a pet store that has rats, and ask the staff if he can handle one. He said when he had a hamster, which he got before he knew he was allergic to them, his hands would get REALLY itchy right away after holding her. So we'll see...but I don't have my hopes up. He said hamsters and guinea pigs set him off, so a rat probably will too. Then again he might just cave in and agree about getting one, but i'm trying not to be too pushy or look inconsiderate about his allergies.

I am thinking males, I hear they are more cuddly and likely to sit with you while the girls are more on-the-go and busy. I am a little worried about getting feedback about a males...ehhem...rathood. And I am not against a girl, but we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to get males as young as possible to socialize them so they will be as cuddly and sweet as possible. :)

I did some Googling and got about the same answer, about a month or so. Isn't that video adorable?? :wub: I hope it works out too, at this point discussions involve my husband being concerned about his allergies, although he does want to make me happy, so we are a bit torn on the issue. :confused: This morning, I suggested we find a pet store that has rats, and ask the staff if he can handle one. He said when he had a hamster, which he got before he knew he was allergic to them, his hands would get REALLY itchy right away after holding her. So we'll see...but I don't have my hopes up. He said hamsters and guinea pigs set him off, so a rat probably will too. Then again he might just cave in and agree about getting one, but i'm trying not to be too pushy or look inconsiderate about his allergies.

I am thinking males, I hear they are more cuddly and likely to sit with you while the girls are more on-the-go and busy. I am a little worried about getting feedback about a males...ehhem...rathood. And I am not against a girl, but we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to get males as young as possible to socialize them so they will be as cuddly and sweet as possible. :)

I prefer males because they are more cuddlier. I had a pair of females for my first rats and had to separate them as one was very aggressive and would attack and draw blood from the other. Females make good pets but like you said are more adventurous and not as lazy and cuddly. My males are LAZY lol. Kabuki likes to be held but Shinobi not so much but then again he was the one that lacked socialization. I say if you get them at 8 weeks and handle them often you'll have lazy, cuddly boys. I read that as boys mature they can get into little scuffles to establish dominance and most will grow out of it in time. My 2 have scuffles from time to time but not too bad. They are calming down since they are getting older now.

I prefer males because they are more cuddlier. I had a pair of females for my first rats and had to separate them as one was very aggressive and would attack and draw blood from the other. Females make good pets but like you said are more adventurous and not as lazy and cuddly. My males are LAZY lol. Kabuki likes to be held but Shinobi not so much but then again he was the one that lacked socialization. I say if you get them at 8 weeks and handle them often you'll have lazy, cuddly boys. I read that as boys mature they can get into little scuffles to establish dominance and most will grow out of it in time. My 2 have scuffles from time to time but not too bad. They are calming down since they are getting older now.

Good to know males really are more cuddly, that's definitely what I am hoping for. I already have my on-the-go bird so...I need lazy cuddles! :P I wonder if it helps to get two males at 8 weeks old from the same litter? I've heard of people getting their rats spayed/neutered and that it really does make a big difference. I heard it helps the girls more, it prevents mammary cancer I believe? For males it just removes scent marking and some dominance issues, and apparently their fur gets softer. :confused: But they say with males to do it as early as possible. I think if we could find a vet who will neuter a rat, we might go that route...but I do wonder about the safety of it sense rats are not a frequent visitor at most vets. :confused:

Good to know males really are more cuddly, that's definitely what I am hoping for. I already have my on-the-go bird so...I need lazy cuddles! :P I wonder if it helps to get two males at 8 weeks old from the same litter? I've heard of people getting their rats spayed/neutered and that it really does make a big difference. I heard it helps the girls more, it prevents mammary cancer I believe? For males it just removes scent marking and some dominance issues, and apparently their fur gets softer. :confused: But they say with males to do it as early as possible. I think if we could find a vet who will neuter a rat, we might go that route...but I do wonder about the safety of it sense rats are not a frequent visitor at most vets. :confused:

I have read it is good to get them from the same litter. My 2 aren't brothers and one is older than the other but they were housed together before I got them. If given the option I would have gotten 2 brothers. I also have heard of people spaying/neutering rats and like you said it helps more with females because of the mammary tumors. I've read with males it isn't advised to neuter unless absolutely necessary (really super aggressive males) as it can be really risky. Can't recall what was so high risk but I did read that most sources said not to. I had considered it with our boys until I read that so left them as is.

I have read it is good to get them from the same litter. My 2 aren't brothers and one is older than the other but they were housed together before I got them. If given the option I would have gotten 2 brothers. I also have heard of people spaying/neutering rats and like you said it helps more with females because of the mammary tumors. I've read with males it isn't advised to neuter unless absolutely necessary (really super aggressive males) as it can be really risky. Can't recall what was so high risk but I did read that most sources said not to. I had considered it with our boys until I read that so left them as is.

I think it's risky for males or females either way, especially sense they aren't neutered/spayed often like dogs and cats, so there is a strong possibility of someone inexperienced giving it a try. :oops: I also hear neutering is safer then spaying, makes sense. :confused: I think for the females, most argue that since females are so prone to mammary cancer, they have a strong chance of needing surgery anyway so a spay is like a good preventative. Apparently it's doesn't benefit the males as much though, except that their fur gets softer, they stop marking, and are less aggressive with their cage-mates. But I think you would need to neuter early to see most of those benefits. I am on the fence about it. :confused: I would definitely get two brothers if possible though, keep things as peaceful as possible. But should something terrible happen like one of the brothers dying...I wonder if a neutered rat would accept a new friend better then an intact one. :confused:

I think it's risky for males or females either way, especially sense they aren't neutered/spayed often like dogs and cats, so there is a strong possibility of someone inexperienced giving it a try. :oops: I also hear neutering is safer then spaying, makes sense. :confused: I think for the females, most argue that since females are so prone to mammary cancer, they have a strong chance of needing surgery anyway so a spay is like a good preventative. Apparently it's doesn't benefit the males as much though, except that their fur gets softer, they stop marking, and are less aggressive with their cage-mates. But I think you would need to neuter early to see most of those benefits. I am on the fence about it. :confused: I would definitely get two brothers if possible though, keep things as peaceful as possible. But should something terrible happen like one of the brothers dying...I wonder if a neutered rat would accept a new friend better then an intact one. :confused:

I'm not really sure if a neutered male would except a new cage mate better than an intact one. I would lean toward yes but really have no clue lol. I think either way as long as the intro was done slowly and over a few days or maybe a week or two it would be fine in most cases.

I'm not really sure if a neutered male would except a new cage mate better than an intact one. I would lean toward yes but really have no clue lol. I think either way as long as the intro was done slowly and over a few days or maybe a week or two it would be fine in most cases.

*nods* I am sure it comes down to the individual rats too, just like any other critters. But it probably helps to remove a source of aggression. I never had a pair of rats odd enough, I always had a single rat. That was when I was a kid though...trying to correct myself of all the mistakes my parents didn't correct me of. :rolleyes: Mind you I did my best to give him lots of love and attention.

*nods* I am sure it comes down to the individual rats too, just like any other critters. But it probably helps to remove a source of aggression. I never had a pair of rats odd enough, I always had a single rat. That was when I was a kid though...trying to correct myself of all the mistakes my parents didn't correct me of. :rolleyes: Mind you I did my best to give him lots of love and attention.

Yeah my first pair of rats were females and one was very aggressive so they had to be separated :( We rehomed the aggressive female and just kept theother. We should have gotten her a new friend but since she was already several months old we never did. She lived for 3 years as a solitary rat and from what I could tell was very happy but probably could have used a friend. Oh if you want to watch here's a video of my little ratties lol

ZBc6eGMlcnY