Please talk me out of it! >_<"

I think i'm starting to crack...:duh:

I haven't been able to stop thinking about the idea of getting a ferret.:duh: Not that it has overshadowed my desire to get a Husky, but i'm just looking ahead at all this time I will have...and as much as I love my bird, I want a fuzzy pet I can play with too. I have tried to deter myself by looking at all the bad points, but well...it's not working. :confused:

Someone please talk me out of it :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that is true, not that the ferret dying is a good thing of course, but it would be very naturally timed so when we can adopt a Husky, it will be a peaceful transition. Especially if we adopted within this year, and more-so if I can rescue a ferret like I would try to do.

Hrm...oh boy....I might have to just out-with-it tonight and see what my hubby thinks. He originally suggested the ferret, I told him I decided no substitutes and to just hold out. I was worried if I got a ferret, my inlaws might not be able to see how badly I want a dog. But it's proving harder then I thought, I miss fuzzies and ferrets might be the only other fuzzy my husband isn't allergic to besides dogs. I do worry about potential vet bills, because I hear mixed reviews about them being healthy or full of health issues. That could be due to the grain ferret diets though, I would invest in a grain-free diet like EVO of course...or raw if possible.

I also do worry about our bird a little, but I think if we keep the ferret constantly supervised when out and have an escape-proof cage, it might be alright. I don't want to think about what would happen if the ferret got loose though...:confused:

I had to go to Sekichu today (kind of Japanese Lowes/Home Depot) because I needed work shoes for my new job, and of course while I was there I spent time with the puppies. I know it's sad they are probably from a puppy mill, so of course I don't plan to adopt there...but it's my only exposure to dogs besides occasionally visiting my mother-in-law's Maltese and seeing people walk their dogs (which hurts me a little inside each time sense I don't have a dog to walk :( ). Spending time with those puppies really wakes me up, and makes me realize how much I want a dog. I do really like ferrets, but I don't feel the same with ferrets that I do with dogs.

Today was an even bigger wake up call, because they had a Black Lab puppy and a Border Collie puppy...normally it's Chihuahua's, Toy Poodles, Maltese...I was so in love! I think I forgot how much I love big dogs (big meaning not a toy/small). I grew up with a big woolly Chow Chow x German Shepard mix, it was nostalgic playing with the big puppies.

sO7kvdiA2es

Anyway, it set my back on my determined journey to get a Siberian Husky...but when I am sad and miserable at home without a dog, what on earth should I do? That's when I usually crack and want to get a ferret, to have at least a sort-of dog fuzzy around. In-laws won't budge on a dog at this point, even a small one, it has to be silent. Why can't dogs come with mute buttons? :banghead: I have so much love I can give to a Siberian Husky who really needs a home out there...and I can't even adopt one now!

Sorry, this is turning into a steam room conversation - it was meant to be for discussing ferrets as pets. My bad. :confused:

Look now, stop torturing yourself. I know your apartment would allow ferrets, and if you have the time, space and money to take care of a ferret then why not? ;) they might not be able to make you stop wanting a dog so much, but at the very least you will have a pet that you can cuddle while waiting for your future husky to arrive :)

Btw that border collie's adorable :wub:

Hi there I think you you should just go for it and get yourself a ferret. I had ferrets for over 10 years and they make great pets. I would advise going with a raw diet as they can get many problems with a dry diet.

Darren & Diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone, you're a wonderful bunch of people. I am going to have a few more talks with my husband about it before I decide. I am worried I am shifting between getting a ferret and waiting for my Husky way too much, it's kind of an emotional roller coaster for me and I don't want to put a ferret between that. Maybe I am experiencing dog withdraw? Is that possible? It's my first time living without a dog around, it's been about a year and I was doing okay until recently. I'm sorry for sharing this emotional time with you, but I really appreciate your support and for caring about me. It means the world to me, especially because all of you have Huskies so you must understand how badly I want to adopt one.

until then? you have all out huskies to drool over lol

I do that on a daily basis! :rolleyes:

Btw that border collie's adorable :wub:

I know!! I especially liked 1:00 on the video. Too cute!

I would advise going with a raw diet as they can get many problems with a dry diet.

I agree a raw diet would be best for a ferret, but I will need to work out if we can afford to do it in Japan, and re-research how to do it properly. I thought a grain-free dry diet would be a good way to start things...although point taken I really should research if we can afford to give a ferret a raw diet first. :oops:

Sorry for all the edits on this post, I think i'm a little scatter brained tonight. :confused: Hopefully I got everyone now.

Thanks so much everyone, you're a wonderful bunch of people. I am going to have a few more talks with my husband about it before I decide. I am worried I am shifting between getting a ferret and waiting for my Husky way too much, it's kind of an emotional roller coaster for me and I don't want to put a ferret between that. Maybe I am experiencing dog withdraw? Is that possible? It's my first time living without a dog around, it's been about a year and I was doing okay until recently. I'm sorry for sharing this emotional time with you, but I really appreciate your support and for caring about me. It means the world to me, especially because all of you have Huskies so you must understand how badly I want to adopt one.

no its not abnormal at all.

if youve lived all your life with a dog, it can be hard to adjust without one.

no its not abnormal at all.

if youve lived all your life with a dog, it can be hard to adjust without one.

Oh thank you so much for understanding!! It is SO hard...:(

I have a crazy idea to visit the dogs at that store like I did today, on a weekly basis, and seeing how I feel. If that doesn't work out, then i'll look into the ferret idea again. I had thought about it before, but it came across to me at self-torture so I actually started avoiding that store all-together unless I really needed something there like today. But maybe it would be therapeutic in a way...remind how worth it it will be when I can finally have a dog. It's so easy to get into a slump without a dog around and forget that wonderful feeling you get when they are around.

I have a crazy idea to visit the dogs at that store like I did today, on a weekly basis, and seeing how I feel. If that doesn't work out, then i'll look into the ferret idea again. I had thought about it before, but it came across to me at self-torture so I actually started avoiding that store all-together unless I really needed something there like today. But maybe it would be therapeutic in a way...remind how worth it it will be when I can finally have a dog. It's so easy to get into a slump without a dog around and forget that wonderful feeling you get when they are around.

is there people you know with dogs you could maybe walk?

or you could start a dog walking business?

agree with Louise.. rather than playing with puppies behind the cage it'd be much better for you to visit people who own dogs and play with their dogs :) I don't know where Ageo is, but is it in Kansai? A shelter in Japan called ARK (something something Kansai) is very famous for being the only Japanese shelter that accepts ALL kind of dogs. Wondering if you have time to volunteer there? :)

is there people you know with dogs you could maybe walk?

or you could start a dog walking business?

Actually I REALLY want to do just that! The problem is my Japanese isn't very good, I am not sure I could communicate with the people who want their dogs walked. It might make it difficult for them to trust me, and I wouldn't blame them. I know a few foreign women like me in my general area that I can communicate with in English, but only one of them has a dog and said dog doesn't like strangers apparently. My mother-in-law is the only person I know with a dog otherwise, and she is super-dog-mom and walks her Maltese everyday. I have been thinking of doing it when my Japanese is better, but in the mean time all I can do is keep studying.

agree with Louise.. rather than playing with puppies behind the cage it'd be much better for you to visit people who own dogs and play with their dogs :) I don't know where Ageo is, but is it in Kansai? A shelter in Japan called ARK (something something Kansai) is very famous for being the only Japanese shelter that accepts ALL kind of dogs. Wondering if you have time to volunteer there? :)

I have been looking into volunteering at a shelter too and offering dog walking, bathing, socializing, anything really! Ageo is in Saitama, up near Tokyo. Unfortunately ARK is down in Kansai, but they are developing a Tokyo branch slowly. I met a lovely woman from Australia who is an ARK volunteer and is helping to develop the Tokyo branch of ARK, and she helped me find a couple of shelters near me (one for dogs, one for cats), but again with my Japanese...I tried sending the dog shelter an Email at least saying I was interested in volunteering but I haven't heard back from them in a couple of weeks now. I will keep in touch with the volunteer I met, but i'm not sure how much else she can help me except to let me know about ARK events if I can afford to take the train to them.

I love Japan, but it would be so easy to get my dog fix if I was still in the USA :banghead:

I have been looking into volunteering at a shelter too and offering dog walking, bathing, socializing, anything really! Ageo is in Saitama, up near Tokyo. Unfortunately ARK is down in Kansai, but they are developing a Tokyo branch slowly. I met a lovely woman from Australia who is an ARK volunteer and is helping to develop the Tokyo branch of ARK, and she helped me find a couple of shelters near me (one for dogs, one for cats), but again with my Japanese...I tried sending the dog shelter an Email at least saying I was interested in volunteering but I haven't heard back from them in a couple of weeks now. I will keep in touch with the volunteer I met, but i'm not sure how much else she can help me except to let me know about ARK events if I can afford to take the train to them.

I love Japan, but it would be so easy to get my dog fix if I was still in the USA :banghead:

Japanese is not that hard to figure out.. Give yourself couple more weeks and you'll be much better :) I believe your email didn't get any reply simply because the volunteers there don't speak English (in Japan if you speak English you're a genius LOL) so guess sending another email in Japanese would help. Remember to keep practicing! Pick one hour of the day and name it "Japanese Hour", it's the time when you forbid yourself from saying anything in English. For that one hour only, you are only allowed to speak and write in Japanese :) language gets so much easier if you have that kind of practice every day ;)

meanwhile, getting a little ferret would help you ease your loneliness :) I know how hard it is... I have to wait a long, stressful nine years before I can get my hands on my first dog... Never missed those days =\ every day felt so lonely :(

Japanese is not that hard to figure out.. Give yourself couple more weeks and you'll be much better :) I believe your email didn't get any reply simply because the volunteers there don't speak English (in Japan if you speak English you're a genius LOL) so guess sending another email in Japanese would help. Remember to keep practicing! Pick one hour of the day and name it "Japanese Hour", it's the time when you forbid yourself from saying anything in English. For that one hour only, you are only allowed to speak and write in Japanese :) language gets so much easier if you have that kind of practice every day ;)

meanwhile, getting a little ferret would help you ease your loneliness :) I know how hard it is... I have to wait a long, stressful nine years before I can get my hands on my first dog... Never missed those days =\ every day felt so lonely :(

:grouphug:I know how you must have felt!

I don't think Japanese isn't hard either, it's just A LOT of memorizing. I can communicate very simple things. For example "I will go to the store" but I can't say something like "I will go to the store tomorrow at 1pm and pick up some rice for dinner." Does that make sense? It would be a mix up of something like "Watashi wa...ashita...ichi gogo...ano...sto-a...gohon...kaimonoshimasu...yoru gohon...ikimasu." >_<" I will keep practicing though! And I will give the ferret just a bit more thinking time first, just in case.

:grouphug:I know how you must have felt!

I don't think Japanese isn't hard either, it's just A LOT of memorizing. I can communicate very simple things. For example "I will go to the store" but I can't say something like "I will go to the store tomorrow at 1pm and pick up some rice for dinner." Does that make sense? It would be a mix up of something like "Watashi wa...ashita...ichi gogo...ano...sto-a...gohon...kaimonoshimasu...yoru gohon...ikimasu." >_<" I will keep practicing though! And I will give the ferret just a bit more thinking time first, just in case.

what did your partner say about the ferret? :)

btw a mixed sentence like that is acceptable. No matter how many mistakes you make, keep speaking Japanese for a full sixty minutes. Eventually you'll learn what are your mistakes and things will be much easier to be memorized that way ;)

what did your partner say about the ferret? :)

btw a mixed sentence like that is acceptable. No matter how many mistakes you make, keep speaking Japanese for a full sixty minutes. Eventually you'll learn what are your mistakes and things will be much easier to be memorized that way ;)

He appears to be supportive, he knows how sad i've been feeling lately about the dog thing. But I do feel guilty wanting a fuzzy when we already have a bird. I don't want to come across like our bird isn't making me happy, I love Mugi to death...it's just she isn't interested in cuddling, or playing with toys, or spending time with me, and never asks for my attention except when she wants food. In fact I am convinced her #1 love in life is food before everything and everyone. I am also paranoid about if there is a future health concern with the ferret and it needs surgery or something and I send the whole family into a money worry. Maybe I worry too much though. :confused: Maybe we should wait and save up a bit more money first...just in case...

He appears to be supportive, he knows how sad i've been feeling lately about the dog thing. But I do feel guilty wanting a fuzzy when we already have a bird. I don't want to come across like our bird isn't making me happy, I love Mugi to death...it's just she isn't interested in cuddling, or playing with toys, or spending time with me, and never asks for my attention except when she wants food. In fact I am convinced her #1 love in life is food before everything and everyone. I am also paranoid about if there is a future health concern with the ferret and it needs surgery or something and I send the whole family into a money worry. Maybe I worry too much though. :confused: Maybe we should wait and save up a bit more money first...just in case...

relax, Evyn... Breath. Just because you have more than one pet doesn't mean you love the new one more than the old one. Make sure you buy your ferret from the best breeder out there so that the risk of health problems can be lessened. But however if you're not financially ready then the ferret should wait, too. Still, if you know you'll do okay with a healthy ferret without his/her vet visits costs, then I guess you should punch your fear in the face and go for it :D a healthy, well-bred pet is not likely to need an expensive vet trip unless he/she is in grand age. You'll be fine, stop torturing yourself :)

relax, Evyn... Breath. Just because you have more than one pet doesn't mean you love the new one more than the old one. Make sure you buy your ferret from the best breeder out there so that the risk of health problems can be lessened. But however if you're not financially ready then the ferret should wait, too. Still, if you know you'll do okay with a healthy ferret without his/her vet visits costs, then I guess you should punch your fear in the face and go for it :D a healthy, well-bred pet is not likely to need an expensive vet trip unless he/she is in grand age. You'll be fine, stop torturing yourself :)

Awww thanks Olivia! I'm not sure if i'll be able to find a breeder because I think most, possibly all the ferrets in Japan are imported from the large ferret farms such as Marshall and Path Valley. I hear the Marshall ferrets have good temperaments but are less healthy. And the Path Valley ferrets are more healthy, but bite more. I'm not sure if that is true though. What brand of food did you feed your ferrets? I will do raw if I can, but I may need to stick to a grain-free dry food for a while first like EVO for example.

I am asking about rescuing a ferret, but so far I am getting replies from the people I know who volunteer that they rarely or never come across ferrets at the shelter. Otherwise i'll need to save up for getting a ferret at the store, which starts about $500 I just found out! :confused: That's more then i'll probably spend on the cage and all the accessories combined. :confused:

At least I found the EVO ferret food, which I hear is highly recommended if you must do a dry food. Looks like about $35 for a 3kg bag. As far as I know that should last one ferret about 2 months and 2 ferrets about a month?

Awww thanks Olivia! I'm not sure if i'll be able to find a breeder because I think most, possibly all the ferrets in Japan are imported from the large ferret farms such as Marshall and Path Valley. I hear the Marshall ferrets have good temperaments but are less healthy. And the Path Valley ferrets are more healthy, but bite more. I'm not sure if that is true though. What brand of food did you feed your ferrets? I will do raw if I can, but I may need to stick to a grain-free dry food for a while first like EVO for example.

I am asking about rescuing a ferret, but so far I am getting replies from the people I know who volunteer that they rarely or never come across ferrets at the shelter. Otherwise i'll need to save up for getting a ferret at the store, which starts about $500 I just found out! :confused: That's more then i'll probably spend on the cage and all the accessories combined. :confused:

At least I found the EVO ferret food, which I hear is highly recommended if you must do a dry food. Looks like about $35 for a 3kg bag. As far as I know that should last one ferret about 2 months and 2 ferrets about a month?

I don't know anything about ferrets.... In fact I have just heard that they can be kept as pets :confused: and they're an expensive pet! x_x keep your fingers crossed, you'll come across a perfect one soon... Better start saving from now on tho

I don't know anything about ferrets.... In fact I have just heard that they can be kept as pets :confused:

Oh okay sorry! I must have confused your post with someone else's. :confused:

and they're an expensive pet! x_x keep your fingers crossed, you'll come across a perfect one soon... Better start saving from now on tho

That's what i'm doing now. :D I might as well save for a month or two, maybe even until the end of the year if I can manage it. I think waiting just reassures that I am making the best decision. And if I end up deciding i'll be alright with just the feather-butt around (aka our bird), then that's just more savings for my Husky. :D

I feel a lot better now, hopefully I will get past this emotional roller coaster soon and find some balance.

Hmmm this is just a thought and you may not be on board with it but have you thought about keeping rats as pets? I know a lot of people don't like rats but they really are great pets. They are as smart as a dog, can learn basic commands and tricks. They are clean but do have a rodent smell. They are fun to watch and if hand tamed from a young age are cuddly (especially the males as they tend to be lazy lap rats and females tend to be more curious and playful). They are far less expensive than ferrets. They are healthy and have an average lifespan of 2-3 years so they wouldn't be around when you got your husky. If you do get rats just make sure to keep 2 as they are social animals and really need at least one constant companion. I have 2 male dumbo rats along with a few other animals and my husky.

Hmmm this is just a thought and you may not be on board with it but have you thought about keeping rats as pets? I know a lot of people don't like rats but they really are great pets. They are as smart as a dog, can learn basic commands and tricks. They are clean but do have a rodent smell. They are fun to watch and if hand tamed from a young age are cuddly (especially the males as they tend to be lazy lap rats and females tend to be more curious and playful). They are far less expensive than ferrets. They are healthy and have an average lifespan of 2-3 years so they wouldn't be around when you got your husky. If you do get rats just make sure to keep 2 as they are social animals and really need at least one constant companion. I have 2 male dumbo rats along with a few other animals and my husky.

Actually I LOVE rats!! I've had them several times before, and when I worked at a pet store I tried to promote them like you are now. It was always an uphill battle, people just judged them for their tails...so sad. But unfortunately for me now...my husband is allergic to them. :cry1: At least I have a strong idea that he probably is, he had a pet hamster before he met me that he was allergic to and (love him) he kept that little hamster until she died of old age, even though the doctor nagged him to get rid of her.

I might have to make that suggestion though, maybe if he doesn't handle them at-all and we keep their cage very clean, we could make it work...maybe. It's more of his hands breaking out, and he said sometimes he sneezes but not too much. Funny enough, I have never seen rats at the pet stores here in Japan, not yet anyway. Not even mice! (I love mice too) It might involve visiting one of those crazy Japanese exotic pet shops that have

and other creatures I question should be available as pets like that. :confused:

Actually I LOVE rats!! I've had them several times before, and when I worked at a pet store I tried to promote them like you are now. It was always an uphill battle, people just judged them for their tails...so sad. But unfortunately for me now...my husband is allergic to them. :cry1: At least I have a strong idea that he probably is, he had a pet hamster before he met me that he was allergic to and (love him) he kept that little hamster until she died of old age, even though the doctor nagged him to get rid of her.

I might have to make that suggestion though, maybe if he doesn't handle them at-all and we keep their cage very clean, we could make it work...maybe. It's more of his hands breaking out, and he said sometimes he sneezes but not too much. Funny enough, I have never seen rats at the pet stores here in Japan, not yet anyway. Not even mice! (I love mice too) It might involve visiting one of those crazy Japanese exotic pet shops that have

and other creatures I question should be available as pets like that. :confused:

I wasn't sure if Japan had pet rats either lol. Maybe you could work something out with and your husband won't be allergic to them *crosses fingers* What is it about certain animals that causes him to break out? If hair maybe get hairless rats ;)

And just to share here's pics of my boys lol

Kabuki:

post-2303-0-09731000-1399716821_thumb.jp

Shinobi:

post-2303-0-14804400-1399716825_thumb.jp

post-4265-13586034048927_thumb.jpg

post-4265-13586034049501_thumb.jpg