HELP! Bald spot on elbow!

No pictures because it's night and my phone's camera doesn't do well on night times, but here's a description. On one elbow only :huh: there's a circle bald spot, the skin is red and the fur around it feels coarse. It doesn't hurt and doesn't bother him but I bet it's slightly itchy. What caused this??? :confused:

possibly from just lying on hard floor let me see if i can get a pic of blazes elbow to see if its the same

ETA: he wont let me :/

LOL wait until he's asleep. Hard floor caused this? :eek:

EDIT: so as long as he still loves to sleep on the hard floor he will always have the bald spot? Will it grow bigger? Any way to make the lost fur grow back? This is not leading to any skin issues right? O_O

Yeah, its from lying on hard floors. You can put some skin cream on it to help it not get hard or make sure the dog sleeps on something soft instead. It's not that big of a deal. I've seen the bald spots as big as 2 inches across on bigger dogs, but I doubt it would get that big on a husky. After a while if it gets bad enough no hair will grow on it and it will get a scaly texture to it.

No pictures because it's night and my phone's camera doesn't do well on night times, but here's a description. On one elbow only :huh: there's a circle bald spot, the skin is red and the fur around it feels coarse. It doesn't hurt and doesn't bother him but I bet it's slightly itchy. What caused this??? :confused:

Might be because he was on the floor to long, or does he like to slide back and forth my does, but maybe it's because he lays on the floor to long and he's not getting up, that's what I know.

Yeah, its from lying on hard floors. You can put some skin cream on it to help it not get hard or make sure the dog sleeps on something soft instead. It's not that big of a deal. I've seen the bald spots as big as 2 inches across on bigger dogs, but I doubt it would get that big on a husky. After a while if it gets bad enough no hair will grow on it and it will get a scaly texture to it.

he prefers hard floors than anything :facepalm: but I guess I can start training him to sleep on a dog bed.. Will be quite a challenge to find a dog bed his size tho =\ jeez why little dogs rule the petshop :( don't want this bald spot to develop even more... Will go ask the vet where to buy skin cream

Might be because he was on the floor to long, or does he like to slide back and forth my does, but maybe it's because he lays on the floor to long and he's not getting up, that's what I know.

LOL yea he does that sometimes. Whenever you call him he'll always come to you with a sliding stop LOL unfortunately it's hard to make him stop sliding around :confused: I will invest on some dog bed tho

he prefers hard floors than anything :facepalm: but I guess I can start training him to sleep on a dog bed.. Will be quite a challenge to find a dog bed his size tho =\ jeez why little dogs rule the petshop :( don't want this bald spot to develop even more... Will go ask the vet where to buy skin cream

That will be a great idea to train to sleep on a bed, it will help his elbows and he would love it. Good idea:D

just remember with your climate that he might not want to go on a dog bed...floor is nice an cold...unless off course you built a large box with grass in it lol

mydiamond as you've heard, it's almost normal with any dog that lays around, they tend to put pressure on the joint that's on the ground and eventually it'll callous over. My old lab used to lay on the deck outside my trailer - and the older she got the more she just laid around so she developed that callous on her elbow. Generally I don't think it's anything to be concerned with as long as they're getting enough exercise. And dogs love the hard places because they always seem to be the coolest, so before I invested in a doggy bed, I might try an old blanket to see if he'd even consider laying on something other than the bare floor.

Well you could have him come on carpet.

oh no not carpet.. Diamond would tear it apart in day one x_x I rehomed all carpets in areas where Diamond is allowed to roam once he came in! :confused:

just remember with your climate that he might not want to go on a dog bed...floor is nice an cold...unless off course you built a large box with grass in it lol

that's the problem there :( Would it be weird if I just wrap his elbows with a soft towel before he goes to bed :P there's a chance the towel would turn into a chew toy the next day tho :rolleyes:

mydiamond as you've heard, it's almost normal with any dog that lays around, they tend to put pressure on the joint that's on the ground and eventually it'll callous over. My old lab used to lay on the deck outside my trailer - and the older she got the more she just laid around so she developed that callous on her elbow. Generally I don't think it's anything to be concerned with as long as they're getting enough exercise. And dogs love the hard places because they always seem to be the coolest, so before I invested in a doggy bed, I might try an old blanket to see if he'd even consider laying on something other than the bare floor.

old blanket, check.. Dog, check.. Holidays, check.. Would experiment on the old blanket thing :up: time to do another experiment+research :yahoo:

still gonna invest on some skin cream tho.. Wonder if human's skin cream would do OK?

I know our climate is different then yours but in know my 2 will go and lay in the coldest part of the house in the summer at night which is the mat near the front door as the access hole to the crawl space of the house is there and it just is the coldest part...the dog beds I might as well pack away as soon as the night temp goes above 12 cel.

oh no not carpet.. Diamond would tear it apart in day one x_x I rehomed all carpets in areas where Diamond is allowed to roam once he came in! :confused:

that's the problem there :( Would it be weird if I just wrap his elbows with a soft towel before he goes to bed :P there's a chance the towel would turn into a chew toy the next day tho :rolleyes:

Oh well that was a good idea to remove the carpet then very good idea, my don't chew carpet, BUT my golden who id only 8 months old chews my tables chairs but think goodness that it is the older furniture, think I spelled that right:p

I start to think that if the temperature rises to a ridiculous number (like thirty, or even more) I'd put his dog bed inside my room and turn the AC on x) with the AC set to 18 degrees the dog bed won't be too warm right?

So I'm still having the dog bed in my shopping list. And the skin cream. And the old blanket. Oh what expenses LOL good thing I still have a good amount of savings :D

Olivia, it would probably be better to NOT get skin cream of any sort for his elbow. The rough callus he'll build up from laying on a hard surface, while not pretty, will actually work to protect the skin underneath. If you soften the skin, it could make it more likely for the skin underneath to be damaged, which could lead to risk of infection...

Suka's got it on one of his elbows, and he's had it for 3 years. He lies on soft mats and stuff, so I don't know why it isn't going away. The vet took a skin sample, and it came back normal - she said it was just scar tissue and its nothing to be concerned over. It doesn't bother him, either.