Waiting for blood work results is like....

Watching paint dry.

I took Lincoln into the vet this morning to have some blood drawn for a liver/kidney and CBC check since its been a while since his last one plus hes on a low dose of steroids. So I want to make sure every thing is okay. Im worried its not :( Theres always something wrong with this dog.

He was so bad today at the vet im really shocked hes NEVER been this bad, he has always allowed my other vet to do blood draws. But this time I had to leave the room because I couldnt stand watching him like that. They needed two techs and a muzzle. I have no idea why the attitude change...

I opted to have it screened in house so I dont give my self a coronary worrying over night about it

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On a positive note, from what you say, he's not symptomatic although on long term steroid use and hopefully this test will turn out the same as the previous one and you'll be in the clear, or at least have less worry for while :)

Positive thoughts heading your way from me an the huskateers :)

He was only on the steroid since January 2012. He was on 6mg twice daily or prednisonlone and I weaned him down to 2mg every other day to control itching

One of our cats takes pred, as does my son from on occasion. Bizarrely they're on the same dose! Lol

I'd give it an hour then ring them an ask if they have any new info rather than leave it till after closing. Although its quite possible they'll ring even after closing, I've had phone calls out of the blue from our vet on a Friday at 9:10pm! :) stay positive

The vets leave at 5pm. I just dont want them to think im annoying them. I just want the results because my heart condition gets worse with stress/anxiety so I havent been able to do anything today

You're not being annoying at all, you've waited all day. Its quite reasonable for you to ring now:) the worst that can happen is they'll tell you they'll ring back

I was going to give it until 4:30 then I was going to call. I would think if they ran the blood earlier and something serious came up, they would of taken a couple minutes to call. So part of me is still worrying with sickness and the other part is thinking every thing is alright

I was going to give it until 4:30 then I was going to call. I would think if they ran the blood earlier and something serious came up, they would of taken a couple minutes to call. So part of me is still worrying with sickness and the other part is thinking every thing is alright

I agree, fingers crossed everything is fine

I'm very lucky, our vets are great at keeping in contact

I got a call.

Everything bur his white blood cell count is normal. His WB is 3.42 and the normal range is 5.5-16.9. She wants to run a round of different antibiotics to treat staph infection as the other one may not be working as hes so used to being on it (developed an immunity), so she will draw me up a quote. She told me to retest in 6 months.

Good that his platelet count went from 138 in July 2010 to 180 this time. So its now in normal range

That's good, you probably don't need me to tell you as you'll already know, but you can request a repeat prescription for 6 months for any antibiotic you need if you need it that long and buy the drugs online as its generally cheaper than from the vet. In fact, depending if it's a human drug you may be able to get it from a normal pharmacy. That's how we get Safi's omeprazole. We get some funny looks going an asking for the prescription for 'Safi the Dog' as its not always the same person at the chemists.lol The Denamarin we get online as it saves us quite a bit