WYDWL Harness & best type of collar?

Hey everyone!

Nico's doing really well with all the rest of his training, but I just cannot get him to not pull! I've had a chest infection for a while now & have pulled a muscle in my chest & ribs from coughing soo much & it is just agony walking him when he pulls at the moment! :(

He's snapped his collar twice now whilst at the park! Well I say snapped, more popped the plastic clippy thing out! So I also wondered if anyone had reccomendations for good secure collars? I've debated a buckle one as it seemed it wouldn't pop out like the plastic, but dogs breaking free of these seems to be just as common, maybe even more so? :/

I've heard lots of positive things about the WYDWL harnesses & just wanted some advice really. He's around 8 months now & the main question I had was which size to get? Also, would this be suitable upto his fully grown size or would I need to get one for his size currently & then a larger one later on?

Also, any reccomendations of the best place to buy one would be great! (I'm the the Uk)

Thanks, Stephanie x

the walkyourdogwithlove harness goes by weight not size , so depends how much he weighs - a large is for a 55lb dog upto 110lbs so plenty of room for adjustment - they are from the US but if you order via Staceybob she is an affilate with them and can get them for you at a discounted price :)

for walking collars i use a semi-slip which has no parts that can come undone , they just slip over the dogs head and have a small part which tightens so if they pull backwards on a walk they cant get their head out :) u can get these pretty much anywhere online but i reccomend www.indi-dog.co.uk

I use a Martingale collar on Suka - has been VERY effective with stopping his pulling because, when I put a harness on him, that makes his pulling a LOT worse! They can't break out of these because they don't have a buckle, and if they try to slip out from it, it tightens so they can't.

This is NOT a choke collar and it doesn't tighten all the way - I think not even halfway - and if you use it correctly it can be a safe and effective tool!

Ohh, thats good that i can get it from the Uk, i will have to PM her when i get around to weighing him! :)

Thanks for the advice about the collars too everyone, I think I'll go with a semi slip, was looking at those any way, but there are soo many types I couldnt decide!

One last thing, when i take Nico park, he's usually on a 8m flexi/retractable lead & I recently brought the bike attachment so he can go biking with me too - are the WYDWL harnesses and/or the semi slip collar suitable to use with both of these? Just thought I'd check whilst the threads open, as I have no experience of either! :)

Thanks again! :)

Ohh, thats good that i can get it from the Uk, i will have to PM her when i get around to weighing him! :)

Thanks for the advice about the collars too everyone, I think I'll go with a semi slip, was looking at those any way, but there are soo many types I couldnt decide!

One last thing, when i take Nico park, he's usually on a 8m flexi/retractable lead & I recently brought the bike attachment so he can go biking with me too - are the WYDWL harnesses and/or the semi slip collar suitable to use with both of these? Just thought I'd check whilst the threads open, as I have no experience of either! :)

Thanks again! :)

i have used the wydwl harness with a flexi but they will spin the dog round if the dog runs to the end quickly , u will need a different kind of harness for a flexi/bike attachement

i'd reccomend an indi-dog harness again :)

Haha! Yeah, that's what I was thinking, with the ring being on the front! I don't think he'd much like that! :P

How is the semi slip with the flexi or bike attachment? Or would i be best with a normal collar? I wouldnt want it to choke him! Just as that way I could put both on him before we leave, as I take him a walk first, then we go park for a run around or bike ride, and I think it'd be difficult to swap harnesses once I'm there! That way hopefully I can get the best of both, no pulling for the walk but easy to just clip onto collar once at the park.

Haha! Yeah, that's what I was thinking, with the ring being on the front! I don't think he'd much like that! :P

How is the semi slip with the flexi or bike attachment? Or would i be best with a normal collar? I wouldnt want it to choke him! Just as that way I could put both on him before we leave, as I take him a walk first, then we go park for a run around or bike ride, and I think it'd be difficult to swap harnesses once I'm there! That way hopefully I can get the best of both, no pulling for the walk but easy to just clip onto collar once at the park.

I wouldn't use a collar with a bike attachment cuz the dog will b pulling n could damage his neck

I walk skyla on a semi slip on a flexi but she doesn't pull , if she pulled I'd use a harness instead