Do you crate them ?

Dunc

Get them crated its not fair not to, mine have always had them and dont mind one its its there little home in our home :)

Our dogs are 2-4 years and will always be in there crates when we are out or in bed, as soon as we turn off the tv of they run to see who can get in there bed 1st lol

I crate Kimba, all i have to say is "bed" and he trots off with his teddy :P bless.

He's also in it during the day when we're at work.

Does anyone let their husky have the run of the house if they're not in? I think mine would eat everything including me cat lol

• 3 weeks later...

Zak is crated when left during the day as he feels the need to empty every cupboard and the fridge/freezer then he takes up residence on my sofa.

He sleeps in our room on the floor at night.

My parents husk has always had the run f the house along with their GSD and now their rottie and although he used to do the normal puppy things hes fine.

Stacy x

Well i came home earlier and Zak has demolished his crate and was wandering round the house at his leisure with a bone from the treat cupboard so i need to update this post to he is crated when out unless he doesn't want to be

stacy x

oh dear! Kimba got out of his cage once, i pulled up on my drive way and he was sat on the wondowsill looking out quite happy! Luckily, he didn't destroy anything and his treats are up high out of his way lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well you have been warned !! huskies are very......... inteligent!! lol yes they can work out how to get out of crates so we have small padlocks on the corners but not on the door opening, how they get out is by pulling on the cage sides to pull down then push fast to make it go past the little hooks !! crafty eh! another is there tricks to get out of harnessess, well what we do is put there collar on , put the harness on, and then use a small say cat collar to link the two together, that way if they free themselves from the harness they get a shock because you still have them by the collar !! lol they learn to open doors too !! best way to beat this is turn your locks upside down, then it puzzles them, but it is really funny with the things they get up too , thats why I love this intelligent breed.

• 3 weeks later...

when i crate trained Kimba it wasn't peaceful as dunc will tell you when i rang him at 3am in tears nearly cause i was so tired i couldn't sleep lol This is the way i didi it, others may have different ways:

Left cage open with treats in, teddies, hot water bottle and blankets, he went in and out of it for a few hours, then when he went in i pushed the door too for about a minute opened it, let him out praised him and gave him a treat.

Later, he went in with it locked with me in the room and fed him treats through the bars.

Next step-left room for 10 seconds came back, let him out and praised him, - carried on doing this, gradually increasing the time he was on his own.

At night, he cried and cried and cried, eventually, i slept with my mp3 player on and appologised to the neighbours the next day, they were really good and said they didn't mind, it was weekend and no work or school and they knew he wouldn't do it for long.

Phew, hammered my keys there!!! If you decide to do it lesley, let us know how you get on xx

so kendra has managed do a bit of time in her crate, i first let her go in without shutting door then fed her treats while fussing her when door was shut, do think she likes the fury bed in their though, so went shop today she went in fine, came back made big fuss, when tried put her back in later she ran off from me when she was in she barked like mad but when i returned she was just sitting there. good girl kendra x

• 2 months later...

The first few nights home my hubby let Sneakers sleep on his chest on the sofa, then I said enough is enough so he went out and got a huge crate/cage thing and put it in our room for night time. The first night he put it right by our bed and Sneakers whined for about 5-10 minutes. We were laying in bed and just kept saying "night night." softly and he went on to sleep. Took him out to use the restroom (well, the yard..) during the night and he went right back to sleep. Next night he didn't cry at all. Now he likes it for naps when we are home, though he seems to prefer staying out in the yard if he's more awake and we aren't able to play with or watch him inside. He generally is in the crate at night, in the morning after our walk while I shower (b/c he usually takes an hour to hour and 1/2 nap then) and anytime I'm leaving or can't watch him and he's acting sleepy during the day. With all the kids stuff and toys I'd be afraid to let him have the run of the house when we're not actively watching him.

If you are wanting to use a crate, I'd suggest you just be very matter of fact about it and go into it assuming that your dog will like it. It will likely help to also make sure your dog is tired when you put him in the first couple of times so he'll be ready to go on to sleep rather than be wanting to play. Those who have dogs who don't like it I wonder if they are sensing your hesistation about it and it scares them? After a few nights and daytime naps it becomes a very safe place for them to stay - we kind of see it as his "bedroom".

If you are wanting to use a crate, I'd suggest you just be very matter of fact about it and go into it assuming that your dog will like it. It will likely help to also make sure your dog is tired when you put him in the first couple of times so he'll be ready to go on to sleep rather than be wanting to play. Those who have dogs who don't like it I wonder if they are sensing your hesistation about it and it scares them? After a few nights and daytime naps it becomes a very safe place for them to stay - we kind of see it as his "bedroom".

I agree with this. The more big of a deal one makes out of the crate, the worse it is going to get. I think a lot of the screaming has to do with separation anxiety, but also because they think they are missing out on the action. If I leave my pup in the cage with me around he is fine (unless he gets crazy bored or has to pee). The second I leave my room he whines and cries for a minute and then stops. But if I were to talk loudly with another family member then he will hear this and start screaming like crazy and raging against his cage.

You just have to ignore it and pretend like its not a big deal even if the dog is acting like it's the end of the world.

Also if you have other dogs then leaving the crate next to where the dogs sleep also helps. But you can only do that after a decent amount of potty training and sphincter growth :D

I always take crate training gradually. I teach the 'in your crate' command and slowly accustom the dog being in the crate with a locked door. Crates should never be used as a punishment and should always be a positive place for your dog, your dog should *want* to be in there as opposed to being forced in there.

I agree with this. The more big of a deal one makes out of the crate, the worse it is going to get. I think a lot of the screaming has to do with separation anxiety, but also because they think they are missing out on the action. If I leave my pup in the cage with me around he is fine (unless he gets crazy bored or has to pee). The second I leave my room he whines and cries for a minute and then stops. But if I were to talk loudly with another family member then he will hear this and start screaming like crazy and raging against his cage.

You just have to ignore it and pretend like its not a big deal even if the dog is acting like it's the end of the world.

Also if you have other dogs then leaving the crate next to where the dogs sleep also helps. But you can only do that after a decent amount of potty training and sphincter growth :D

Agree with you on that - and with sneakersmama, added to rep

never use the crate for punishment, or they will not want to go in and all your hard work is out of the window.

Mine just wander in and out quite happily, and when i say in your bed - they're off like a shot as they know they get a chew when it's bed time lol

I also agree. A dogs crate should be a place for relaxation and sleeping, not punishment. By using a crate as punishment will stop the dog from having the calm and relaxed atmosphere they should have. Basically a crate for a dog is like a bedroom is to us.

Gizmo was already crate trained when we first had him so we didn't have to do much with Gizmo apart from a few nights I had to sleep on the sofa with him in the crateuntil he has gone to sleep and then I went back upstairs. Gizmo isnt crated now and sleeps in the kitchen.

Marley and Bandit wasn't crate trained when we had them. Fortunately it didnt take long for them to get used to it as they slept together (Still do) and Gizmo would sleep against their crate aswell and we never had any problems with them at all. The only time we will get any cries is when they need the toilet.

Blaze doesnt have a cage he sleeps in the kitchen and at sumpoint durin the night he comes upstairs into my room guess weve bin lucky cuz hes not wreked the house lol hes only chewed my phone charger robbed the tinsel ov the xmas tree and he ripped a tiny bit ov wallpaper off the wall n thats all hes done

Does anyone else have the problem of their pup getting their mouth stuck in the bars? Eika does this as she freaks out when she goes in her crate...

so...we have given up on the crate...she sleeps in our room at night, all night, not a peep from her. Then during the day she has the kitchen.

blah