Rascal is crossing the bridge in a few hours...

My boyfriend's border collie Rascal has had a setback with his slipped disc injury. He is to the point where he cannot move his back legs at all.

When this first happened a couple of months ago, he was dragging his back legs a bit. My boyfriend and his friend Perry (he took Rascal in when my boyfriend had to sell his house... his other 2 dogs- Tika the Husky and Bear the American Bulldog mix- live at my house with my Husky Viggo) decided to try crate rest. Miraculously, it worked. But it did not last forever sadly.

Rascal will be PTS at 11:00 AM EST. He is 11 years old and is the most obeidient, sweetest dog you would ever know.

Run free over the bridge Rascal! Viggo, Tika, Bear and I will miss you dearly. :rainbowbridge:

My boyfriend's border collie Rascal has had a setback with his slipped disc injury. He is to the point where he cannot move his back legs at all.

When this first happened a couple of months ago, he was dragging his back legs a bit. My boyfriend and his friend Perry (he took Rascal in when my boyfriend had to sell his house... his other 2 dogs- Tika the Husky and Bear the American Bulldog mix- live at my house with my Husky Viggo) decided to try crate rest. Miraculously, it worked. But it did not last forever sadly.

Rascal will be PTS at 11:00 AM EST. He is 11 years old and is the most obeidient, sweetest dog you would ever know.

Run free over the bridge Rascal! Viggo, Tika, Bear and I will miss you dearly. :rainbowbridge:

sorry to hear this. no more pain for him though.

That's one of the most difficult decisions we as dog owners have to face. An old guy with decent quality of life can just slip across the bridge in his sleep and while we miss him, we know it's okay. Having to make the decision to put one down because the quality of life is no longer there ... it's not okay, but it's something we have to do.

My sympathy to everyone - RIP Rascal, until you all meet again!

so sorry for your loss....im sure you have lots of wonderful memories of rascal ..which will comfort you at this sad time ...:rainbowbridge:

Thanks everyone!

My boyfriend, Skip, had a really tough day yesterday. Just hearing him tell me about the passing made me start to sob. He thought it was wonderful that Rascal, who always had one ear up and another ear down, kept his one ear up even after he passed. Skip was there the entire time with him. He stroked him and talked to him as he passed. He even mentioned the names of some of his other dogs who had already crossed the bridge.

I know he is in a better place now. A place where his legs will work again and he can run free.

rascaltikaandbear.jpg

The Road Rise to Greet you, Rascal! Thank you, Nikki and Boyfriend for giving Rascal the love and care he deserved. Be comforted in the sure knowledge that you will all meet again and he will not only recognize you but bound over to you young, strong, happy and radiant with health. He will always remember your love for him and lead you safely into Paradise! Miss him? yes, like a child but not forever. My prayers for a safe journey for him and for you Peace! Run Free Rascal!! Teach the angels how it's done!!

Fr. Carmen OFM