husky pts because it killed a sheep

spoke to a few husky owners in the last few days and put them onto this website because i totally agree the only way to stop irresponsibility is to educate. Not saying the people i spoke to are irresponsible :)

Unfortunately most ppl don't listen regardless as they think they know better

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a blanket statement and not at all true. Plenty of highly prey drive dogs never display prey drive around small dogs. A high prey drive is not a bad thing, it can make a dog highly trainable.

I guess I should have said that the prey instinct does not ALWAYS distinguish between small dogs and rodents. A small mistake certainly doesn't deserve an offensive response calling out a member as saying something that is not true. It is true sometimes, just as it is your personal opinion that a high prey drive can make a dog highly trainable, it can also make it a nightmare. Kindness goes a long way on this forum.

I guess I should have said that the prey instinct does not ALWAYS distinguish between small dogs and rodents. A small mistake certainly doesn't deserve an offensive response calling out a member as saying something that is not true. It is true sometimes, just as it is your personal opinion that a high prey drive can make a dog highly trainable, it can also make it a nightmare. Kindness goes a long way on this forum.

All I said was that it was a blanket statement and that as a blanket statement it's not true. I don't think that is offensive at all and I'm sorry that is how you interpreted it. I found your generalization a bit offensive to people with dogs that have a high prey drive. Having a high prey drive doesn't make them small dog killers.

Yes, dogs with high prey drives can be hard to work with when the wrong methods and handling systems are used. It's often talked about on this forum as a negative and IMO it isn't hence my comment that a high prey drive can make a dog highly trainable.

I was applying it more to off-lead dogs in enclosed dog parks - a lot of people report that they don't feel comfortable in a dog park because it attracts the wrong sort of people... Of course you can never determine if a dogs reaction will be consistent every time he spots "prey".

Sorry, never quite got your meaning as where I live we have no dog parks- only farms with sheep and livestock, so we have to be extra careful. Certainly didn't mean to imply that you thought you could predict a dogs instinct. Many apologies.

Sorry, never quite got your meaning as where I live we have no dog parks- only farms with sheep and livestock, so we have to be extra careful. Certainly didn't mean to imply that you thought you could predict a dogs instinct. Many apologies.

Don't apologise :) Sometimes its hard to put your point across through text! Im so glad thats one thing I don't have to worry about with Luka - he has nothing to chase! Apart from pigeons and squirrels - oh and this greyhound called Toby :) The other week, this golden retriever we walk with darted off and caught a pigeon though - that was something new to me - never seen it happen before!

Wow, I never knew the Husky is basically a Wolf! lol. By that line of reasoning if you have a beadred dragon, you have "basically" a t-rex, or if you have 3 cats you have "basically" a pride of lions.

Wow, I never knew the Husky is basically a Wolf! lol. By that line of reasoning if you have a beadred dragon, you have "basically" a t-rex, or if you have 3 cats you have "basically" a pride of lions.

yup we all have wolves living in our houses!

why one of us hasnt been eaten alive yet baffles me!

wow just wow have you seen some of the idiotic comments there now? huskies share 79% of the wolf dna apparently

That may be true, but we share 97% of our dna with chimps, and about 50% with bananas, which makes me laugh as that means we share dna with both the "predator" and the "prey",:jawdrop:, lol, now THATS scary.:lolman: