husky pts because it killed a sheep

ah i feel terrible, I'm sorry! i didn't mean it in that way!

That's fine, please don't feel bad :) I understand .......... totally.

We can't work our huskies as our winters have not been cold enough for a while now, but hopefully this coming one will be - then they can do what they were born to do :) They do run with my husband when he is training for a marathon, but other than that they mostly swim, go for hikes in the forests, and run on the beach - they are basically lazy huskies and love to sleep and just chill :huskyfall:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huskies don't have to worked, have long leash running or offlead time to be perfectly happy and healthy. Obviously its fun for them, but its not cruel or irresponsible if they don't get to do it. Mine get 50ft lead runs now and again, walked 1 or 2 times a day on normal leads and are not worked and hardly ever off lead as we don't have safe areas, but they are perfectly happy, healthy, fit and calm in the house.

I've tried to walk Luka on a standard lead - I could walk him 10 times around the park for hours and hours and when he gets home he is sill completely insane! I really do envy the fact that your guys are calm in the house lol! He is only 5months as well, god help me when he is another 6 months older :/ Maybe I should just ship him out to Siberia to get some serious sledding in!!

I've tried to walk Luka on a standard lead - I could walk him 10 times around the park for hours and hours and when he gets home he is sill completely insane! I really do envy the fact that your guys are calm in the house lol! He is only 5months as well, god help me when he is another 6 months older :/ Maybe I should just ship him out to Siberia to get some serious sledding in!!

Good idea, get the ship to stop off here to pick my two up and you will have a team :)

Good idea, get the ship to stop off here to pick my two up and you will have a team :)

I think it would be hilarious to see Luka pull a sled... right into a tree!! He sometimes wacks his head on the lamp posts because he is checking out something across the road instead of concentrating on where he is going lol!

it really depends on the dog. some a relatively low energy, and some are absolutely mental even if they get 3 or 4 hours walk a day. some of the fosters i've had have needed loads of long walks and were calm at times, but hyper the rest of the time. xxx

I don't let Suka off lead except in the dog park that he goes to often (usually twice a week when I'm home). Other than that, he's on a very short leash (approx 3 ft) because if I give him anymore freedom then that on a leash then he thinks he's entitled to pull me down! And getting pulled down is NOT fun.

Also, in the backyard, he has a 30ft tie out to roam around in. I plan to go hiking with him during the spring and summer, though, so that should be fun!

I wanted to see if I could get Suka into sledding with another team, but then I was told of his arthritis and all bets were off. :(

The law should be changed to prevent ANY dog being let off lead unless it's in a designated dog park of similar enclosed area. We banned capital punishment for murderers but a dog still pays with it's life for doing something on instinct. There has to be an alternative to PTS a healthy animal. In this instance perhaps the dogs owner could've been given the option to compensate the farmer for his loss and agree to muzzle the dog at all times in public

The law should be changed to prevent ANY dog being let off lead unless it's in a designated dog park of similar enclosed area. We banned capital punishment for murderers but a dog still pays with it's life for doing something on instinct. There has to be an alternative to PTS a healthy animal. In this instance perhaps the dogs owner could've been given the option to compensate the farmer for his loss and agree to muzzle the dog at all times in public

Do you think it would work if they introduced a test you had to pass to allow you dog off-leash? That way owners wouldn't have to worry about aggressive dogs when they take theirs to a dog park etc... I guess they could but it would be hard to enforce and a lot of hassle for owners as well?

Completely agree!

Unfortunately, the prey instinct does not distinguish either between small rodents and small dogs.

That's a blanket statement and not at all true. Plenty of highly prey drive dogs never display prey drive around small dogs. A high prey drive is not a bad thing, it can make a dog highly trainable.

Why should responsible owners be punished though? Plenty of dogs can and are trained to be reliable off leash.

Why should responsible owners be punished though? Plenty of dogs can and are trained to be reliable off leash.

Because we reside in a reactionary society where the failings of a few are often shouted the loudest and so we make laws for the many based upon that.

Unless their recall is 100% reliable then it's not worth the risk IMO

I agree. So those owners whose dogs do have a reliable recall shouldn't be punished because other people aren't responsible and don't do the right thing.

why risk it, there would be less dead or lost dogs, and less incidents of dog on dog or dog on human aggression.

I don't agree, I think it's the opposite. We mostly only have enclosed dog off leash areas here and cramming all the dogs into one small area means there are FAR MORE incidents of dog attacks and aggression.

Most dogs are not under effective control by their owners because they don't think they need to be bothered training their dog when it will only be let off in an enclosed area.

It is not a risk when you have a dog that has a reliable recall. Siberian Husky and Malamute owners do not make up the majority of dog owners.

Do you think it would work if they introduced a test you had to pass to allow you dog off-leash? That way owners wouldn't have to worry about aggressive dogs when they take theirs to a dog park etc... I guess they could but it would be hard to enforce and a lot of hassle for owners as well?

Not really sure that would work. Testing the owner doesn't change a dogs instinct, as a pet it may be the most loving animal in the world, but as a dog there will still be a chance that instinct will over-ride that. No test in the world can clarify that an owner knows a dog well enough to know that instinct wont take over. Just my opinion.

i'm referring to here in the UK, where there are tons of dick heads who let their dogs off without recall, and when they are aggressive to dogs and or people.... every open space many responsible dogs owners get attacked or thier dogs attacked or bothered by these types f dogs and irresponsible owenrs, we have hardly any dog parks here relative to the amount of open parks and meadows and woods where people walk thier dogs.

i'm referring to here in the UK, where there are tons of dick heads who let their dogs off without recall, and when they are aggressive to dogs and or people.... every open space many responsible dogs owners get attacked or thier dogs attacked or bothered by these types f dogs and irresponsible owenrs, we have hardly any dog parks here relative to the amount of open parks and meadows and woods where people walk thier dogs.

many of which have herds of deer roaming in the deer parks, sheep, cows horses in fields ETC

Not really sure that would work. Testing the owner doesn't change a dogs instinct, as a pet it may be the most loving animal in the world, but as a dog there will still be a chance that instinct will over-ride that. No test in the world can clarify that an owner knows a dog well enough to know that instinct wont take over. Just my opinion.

I was applying it more to off-lead dogs in enclosed dog parks - a lot of people report that they don't feel comfortable in a dog park because it attracts the wrong sort of people... Of course you can never determine if a dogs reaction will be consistent every time he spots "prey".

There are tonnes of people who let their dogs off here when they have no recall too. That won't change regardless of leash laws, we have super strict leash laws here and irresponsible owners don't care about them.

Having enclosed dog parks be the only place you can let your dog off leash is not going to stop irresponsible owners from doing the wrong thing and I can tell you they become a mecca of badly behaved dogs and owners who are too lazy to properly train their dogs. People think because an off leash area is enclosed, it means they can let their dog off leash without a second thought to what their dog is doing or how it behaves.

IMO, even in enclosed off leash areas, your dog should still be under effective control and part of that is having a reliable recall. Changing leash laws will only effect people who abide by them in the first place and who already do the right thing.

many of which have herds of deer roaming in the deer parks, sheep, cows horses in fields ETC

We have heaps of wild life here even in the city.

Of course you can never determine if a dogs reaction will be consistent every time he spots "prey".

I disagree in that I think it's pretty easy to tell when a dog is triggered into prey drive. Dogs with high prey drives can be the most consistent and reliable dogs out there.

:banghead: There must be a way for us to reach more husky/malamute owners and get them to join the forum. The only way to stop this senseless killing is through educating them (the owners) about the dangers of off lead huskies :(

spoke to a few husky owners in the last few days and put them onto this website because i totally agree the only way to stop irresponsibility is to educate. Not saying the people i spoke to are irresponsible :)