husky pts because it killed a sheep

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But lets be honest it is not just huskies or mal's......just keep them all on the lead.....even a, for example, Bischon frise can do some serious damage....

ridiculous - a lead costs nothing compared to a dogs life!

i used to walk Bings on a lead from poundland ffs! a lead doesnt cost the earth n yet people seem to think it does :(

Even if it did cost the earth i'd have thought people would have figured out the equations BEFORE getting a dog.

It's not about cost, it's about thinking you can beat mother nature.

"oh but it's not natural to confine him to a lead, poor thing"

I've had this said to me before. I responded that it wasn't natural for him to get shot by a farmer or hit by a car (potentially injuring others) either.

I don't know the whole situation, and if I did maybe I'd have different thoughts at this point. Wow are we a judgemental bunch today. My first thought was initially...what a jerk. It's just a stupid sheep. What an irresponsible owner...Maybe they'll learn from this.

Then I took a second and thought about things that I may not be aware of. Was the owner intentionally letting their dog off lead, or did it happen to get out of a house/yard like huskies can do sometimes. Then I had to stop and think...crap a sheep is essentially a farmers livlihood, sometimes food for their families. How protective am I of that sort of thing? Yeahhhh...

All in all it's a tragic situation. Poor dog...poor sheep (I'm guessing slaughtering is a bit quicker than being killed by a dog)...my thoughts to all in this.

I don't know the whole situation, and if I did maybe I'd have different thoughts at this point. Wow are we a judgemental bunch today. My first thought was initially...what a jerk. It's just a stupid sheep. What an irresponsible owner...Maybe they'll learn from this.

Then I took a second and thought about things that I may not be aware of. Was the owner intentionally letting their dog off lead, or did it happen to get out of a house/yard like huskies can do sometimes. Then I had to stop and think...crap a sheep is essentially a farmers livlihood, sometimes food for their families. How protective am I of that sort of thing? Yeahhhh...

All in all it's a tragic situation. Poor dog...poor sheep (I'm guessing slaughtering is a bit quicker than being killed by a dog)...my thoughts to all in this.

i know with the first one it was allowed to be let off the lead

OH FOR GODS SAKE WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN??

Copied from Claire at Share and Rachel from wiltshire huskies.....

Here we go again.. just been posted on my group page..... NEWS FLASH Just heard the owner of an alaskan malamute let his dog off in my Brother in law's field in Purton off Crickllade Road at Collins Lane and the dog attacked a ewe in lamb by the throat and killed it. Owner apprehended and the matter is in the hands of the police/c

ourt to decide on the dog's fate (believed it will be put down). Please owners take care not to trepass in farmed areas and do not let your dogs off there. I would even exercise my Bella at the farm and now the dog will have to pay the price. Attempts are being made to rescue the lamb in the mother at present.

Lambing season will mean more deaths, please people, share x

EDIT: THE DOG IN QUESTION WAS ONLY 17 MONTHS OLD.

HE IS NOW AT RAINBOW BRIDGE :(

absolutely a waste of a life

Someone I know's neighbours one year old husky got pts today because it was offlead and got in a farmers field and killed a sheep.

The farmer phoned the vet and demanded it be pts. :(

all because the owners didnt have it on a lead :cry1::cry1::cry1:

:rip: little man x

so very sad for both husky and the sheep ...why , why , do they take the risk when they know huskys nature can be to hunt !!!:(:angry:

I just have no idea how someone can justify letting their Husky off of its lead next to live-stock, especially live-stock that is so defenceless! Its just as bad as letting him off his lead walking down the side of a busy road :/ I strongly disagree with the decision to put these dogs to sleep - they should just be re-homed... I have no livestock in my area so there would be no danger of anything like that happening!!

I just have no idea how someone can justify letting their Husky off of its lead next to live-stock, especially live-stock that is so defenceless! Its just as bad as letting him off his lead walking down the side of a busy road :/ I strongly disagree with the decision to put these dogs to sleep - they should just be re-homed... I have no livestock in my area so there would be no danger of anything like that happening!!

yes rehomed with a responsible owner ...

Though you do have a very valid point about the sheep being the farmers livelihood I still don't feel it fair (and this opinion is governed by how I feel not about law or right or wrong) that the dog should lose its life. The owner should be made to pay for the sheep and lamb and the dog should go to someone better prepared to look after it. But then, as I say, that opinion is governed by how I feel about animals. But I have to agree when you say about judgemental- I instantly jumped to the conclusion that the dog was just allowed off lead without knowing the full story. Next time i'll pause and consider before rushing my judgement.

yes rehomed with a responsible owner ...

They need owners who have the means to give them a good quality life, not just a responsible one...

As much as I follow the on-lead vibe, I also think its unfair to keep a Husky on a lead the whole time... They were born to run, they love to run and they never stop running! If you can't provide this thrill for them in a safe environment, then they need to be worked, if you can't work them then pick another breed.

They need owners who have the means to give them a good quality life, not just a responsible one...

As much as I follow the on-lead vibe, I also think its unfair to keep a Husky on a lead the whole time... They were born to run, they love to run and they never stop running! If you can't provide this thrill for them in a safe environment, then they need to be worked, if you can't work them then pick another breed.

thats what 100ft leads were made for

thats what 100ft leads were made for

Agree with Lou there's no place around here 2 let mine off safely so I use 100ft leads over the field instead . Even if there was sumwhere 2 let them off safely I doubt I'd go there cuz ov other dogs n idiot owners would probs use it

I don't work mine either

I know there is the argument about whether to let them offlead or not. My argument is simply: when it doesn't work the dog pays the price :(

No argument or even discussion from me any more. Sasha hasn't been off lead except in the house, ditto Avalanche. One heartbreak was one too many for me.

Well, this floored me ................................ :(

Mine don't get worked and I have nowhere safe 2 let them off I use a 100ft lead over the local field but we don't go over often

Even if I had sumwhere 2 take them 2 b offlead I probs wouldn't cuz it would just attract the wrong people there

A husky can b happy without having 2 let it off or work it

Maybe I was a little unclear, of course a 100ft lead is enough freedom - I just meant i feel bad for some Huskies, like this one that comes to our park on a standard lead the whole time - all he gets is a walk, apologies if that was misunderstood!

edit: I hate hearing any animal getting pts, with that mind frame i admit i didn't pick my words carefully!

Maybe I was a little unclear, of course a 100ft lead is enough freedom - I just meant i feel bad for some Huskies, like this one that comes to our park on a standard lead the whole time - all he gets is a walk, apologies if that was misunderstood!

edit: I hate hearing any animal getting pts, with that mind frame i admit i didn't pick my words carefully!

Very unclear lol

I rarely use my 100ft leads tho tb and my boy is always walked on a standard length lead

If I take my girl out on her own tim I use a flexi but I can't use one on my boy

Unfortunately most ov us on here don't have the means 2 let them have freedom or work them

Huskies don't have to worked, have long leash running or offlead time to be perfectly happy and healthy. Obviously its fun for them, but its not cruel or irresponsible if they don't get to do it. Mine get 50ft lead runs now and again, walked 1 or 2 times a day on normal leads and are not worked and hardly ever off lead as we don't have safe areas, but they are perfectly happy, healthy, fit and calm in the house.