• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Some time ago, approximately one month, some red spots appeared on the skin near Kremlin's mouth. Gradually, they extended and his nose was affected too. Now these spots look like this:

DSC06277.jpg

DSC06280.jpg

DSC06281.jpg

DSC06282.jpg

DSC06284.jpg

We visited 2 vets, but none of the treatments worked. Of course, he had some samples tested but nothing came out (I'm not sure what he was tested for though). I've been reading about zinc deficiency, but none of the vets thought about that. Does it look like it?

If any of your dogs had anything similar, please feel free to tell me because it would be helpful, at least to discuss it with the vet. Thank you very much.

Hi,

I'm from Romania.My dog seems to have the same problem as yours as it looks similar to what I see in the photos. Was it zinc deficiency or something else? I have been to the vet but so far nothing as we wait for the test result( something was taken from its nose). The blood test showed a zinc deficiency but the doctor couldn't tell us what exactly is happening with our dog. Could you please help me with some information about how you solve the problem? thank you!

Hi,

I'm from Romania.My dog seems to have the same problem as yours as it looks similar to what I see in the photos. Was it zinc deficiency or something else? I have been to the vet but so far nothing as we wait for the test result( something was taken from its nose). The blood test showed a zinc deficiency but the doctor couldn't tell us what exactly is happening with our dog. Could you please help me with some information about how you solve the problem? thank you!

We think it was Zinc deficiency as after 3 months of treatment with zinc tablets (for humans) it all cleared out and all other tests we did to him (mange, infections etc) were negative. We've not had any issues since. I cannot remember how the tablets we gave him were called unfortunately, a vet recommended them but only after we told her that we suspect in was Zinc Deficieny.

My dog is a boy called Cosmo, he is 2 years old and weights 23 kg. His condition deteriorated over the last 2 weeks and now it looks very bad.I've uploaded some photos. The vet recommended 50 mg of Zinc per day till we get the results of the biopsy as he suspects ZRD. What do you think? Does it look like ZRD or like something else? post-5371-13586075186982_thumb.jpg

post-5334-13585972400198_thumb.jpg

post-5334-13585972403071_thumb.jpg

post-5334-13585972405432_thumb.jpg

post-5334-13585972407776_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OMG these photo's look just like the problem Lucas has, he is going for a biopsy tomorrow. Lucas has it on his eyelids, mouth, balls & some round spots behind ears, has anyone else had it these in these areas ? :(

:)

Some time ago, approximately one month, some red spots appeared on the skin near our husky's mouth. Gradually, they extended and his nose was affected too. Now these spots look like this:

DSC06277.jpg

DSC06280.jpg

DSC06281.jpg

DSC06282.jpg

DSC06284.jpg

We visited 2 vets, but none of the treatments worked. Of course, he had some samples tested but nothing came out (I'm not sure what he was tested for though). I've been reading about zinc deficiency, but none of the vets thought about that. Does it look like it?

If any of your dogs had anything similar, please feel free to tell me because it would be helpful, at least to discuss it with the vet. Thank you very much.

i agree ..it does look it ..my friends husky has the same problem ...he on zinc tablets ...holland and barrett...from a puppy marley has had lambs liver once a week ...i cooked it in the micro wave ...not just a piece it is one of those sealed packs in the fresh meat section ...he has all of it ....well anything is worth giving a try ....good luck ...hope it works

Oh well... this post was from some three years ago.

What we did was finally, after discussing this with another vet, she prescribed him some (human) zinc tablets as there are no doggy ones on the market here. We gave him that for a couple of months (can't remember the brand or the dosage, it was a long time ago) but he cleared up for good after that and we were able to take him off the zinc without any problems. He's been off the Zinc ever since and we've had no problem. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but we feed him liver quite often.

I am now 100% positive that his bout of ZRD was caused by calcium supplements, which are regularly prescribed to puppies of large breeds here. It's quite a common practice among the vets here - although I am not sure what the grounds for this are. However, calcium can impair the absorption of zinc and I think that's what happened there.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering.... My dogs nose keeps getting worse and worse. His nose dries out, scabs, then peels and starts bleeding. Went to the vet a couple times and was told it was a zinc deficiency. I started giving him the zinc tables, he couldnt keep them down. I tried waiting til after he ate, even cut the dose, still didn't work. Its been an ongoing battle for three years, does anyone have any tips how to help heal his nose???