ZInc deficiency????

Some time ago, approximately one month, some red spots appeared on the skin near our husky's mouth. Gradually, they extended and his nose was affected too. Now these spots look like this:

DSC06277.jpg

DSC06280.jpg

DSC06281.jpg

DSC06282.jpg

DSC06284.jpg

We visited 2 vets, but none of the treatments worked. Of course, he had some samples tested but nothing came out (I'm not sure what he was tested for though). I've been reading about zinc deficiency, but none of the vets thought about that. Does it look like it?

If any of your dogs had anything similar, please feel free to tell me because it would be helpful, at least to discuss it with the vet. Thank you very much.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like zinc deficiency to me , I use zinc gluconate from holland and barret as the vets one is really expensive or you could use this one www.northolm.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=44 ,I found it to be trial and error with the zinc suppliments so I stick to the one from holland and barret ,I also give them kelp and a small piece of ox liver .Hope this helps a little :)

i know this sounds stupid, but does your husky eat blackberries from the plant???

micha was getting sores around her mouth, and she was tested etc etc never figured it out with the vet, he said it was an alergy of some kind, we watched her like a hawk, and it wasnt untill we saw her eating blackberries from the plant we figured out what it was.

best of luck

david

I'll have to go with Nix on this one. Ive not seen Zinc Deficiency before so I wouldn't like to say if it was or wasnt.

Have you seen him eat anything he shouldnt have (a plant/fruits/vegs growing in the ground or plants/ something around the house) or has he rubbed against anything that could have caused a reaction?

Well, I don't know either how Zinc deficiency looks like, so that's why I asked.

This thing has started about a month ago. At the beggining there were 2 tiny spots, barely noticeable and now it looks like this. We live in an apartment, so he could've hardly eaten a plant. We would have noticed immediately since we have like 3 plants inside and all the rest are on the balcony, where he never ever enters. We also checked wheter there might be something in his food, but I think it's highly unlikely since we have fed him Acana Prairie Harvest before with no sores on his lip.

This was poor mishka when she had zinc problems as a young pup, she was eventually put on zin tabs by vet after many tests as our vet had not seen zinc problems before. she is now only having some sardines once a week & off the tablets, Terry on here saw what mishka looked like when it was red, she had it on her face, paws, bottom area, ears too.

Zinkless02.jpg

Yes once she started the zinc tablets it only took a few weeks for the hair to grow back & she looked a normal, pretty girl again . she was on the zinc tabs for over 3 years, only recently taken her off them & she has sardines once a week now, it hasn't returned thank god. stress can make it break out again too.

It looks like a mild bout of ZRD to me.

ZRD typically presents initially as red, raw-looking weepy patches around the muzzle, eyes, ears and sometimes the feet, legs and in bitches, the vulva too. The patches then go dry and scabby with hair-loss. Left untreated you can get thickened scar tissue that looks like 'rhino skin' One of our recent fosters had a small patch like this from a persistant patch of ZRD rash.

We have a 3 year old affected, who has recently had a quite acute flare-up. I ought to have got photos of it, but its just about cleared now.

Vets can sometimes go round the houses with it if they are not familiar with it and did have a dog to our vets recently where we saw a locum who tried to tell us it could be allsorts of other conditions till I said we knew it was ZRD and the dog was on supplimentation for it, to which she replied "oh, yes, hadn't thought of that"

It can be triggered by a diet not suitable for a dog with ZRD, weather (we get flare-ups typically early summer) and stress factors: change of routine, change of home, change of diet, bitches around their seasons etc.

We suppliment with a combination of alternate Zinc Gluconate and Zinc picolinate given at a dose of 1mg per KG bodyweight (15kg dog = 15mg Zinc) both bought from Holland and Barrett. We also give a small cube of ox liver every couple of days. This is rich in Zinc and also vitamin A, which is needed for the Absorption of Zinc (as ZRD is not a lack of zinc, but a metabolic inhability to properly absord zinc from the diet)

In the case of acute flare-ups, we double the zinc dose for a couple of weeks and give 1mg per kg bodyweight twice a day. do take care as too much zinc supplimentation can cause gastro-intestinal upset and diarrhoea, though we have never had this happen when we do double-dose short term. I believe Zinc oxide suppliments are not as effective (Zinc oxide is more common in supermarket suppliments, so check the labels ;))

Also depending on diet, calcium can inhibit zinc absorption, so if you feed raw bones especially, its better to give the Zinc suppliment at another point in the day to avoid as much as possible the two being in the digestive process at the same time.

We also apply sudocreme direct to the sore areas (it contains zinc) which seems to calm the redness and helps healing.

Naturally Zinc-rich foods include red meat (lamb is particularly good) oily fish such as pilchards and sardines and pumpkin seeds: grind a heaped teaspoon in a coffee grinder or similar, and add to food daily.

Most commercial foods dson't contain enough zinc for a dog with ZRD and poultry has some, but not as much as red meat.

To add: Yes, the hair will grow back once treated, though it can take time. You might also find with a flare-up, that even once you start supplimenting, it might get worse before it gets better and you need to give it a couple of weeks sometimes to start seeing an improvement.

Good point Anne.

ZRD does often mean zinc supplimentation and attention to diet will be a lifelong thing when the condition first appears in a adult dog. Can be transient in a youngster (we had a one-off in a young dog which has never reappeared) but generally permanent in most dogs over a year old.

• 2 weeks later...

Just though to let you all know how he is doing.

His nose patch disappeared almost completely and those pink areas under his lip are much less visible and his hair has started growing again.

We have started him on Pet Phos Pelage and fish oil and hope it will disappear for good this time.

Next week we are going away, so I hope the people we are leaving him at will take good care of him, as we won't be able to see how this will evolve until we return.

• 2 weeks later...

If the problem comes back, starts affecting the feet or other areas of the body, or shows crusting, or is accompanied but lethargic behavior, you should check for pemphigus. We started out thinking we had a case of zinc responsive dermatosis and it took a long time to get a diagnosis. My dog almost died while we figured it out and only lived 15 months after he was diagnosed. Once they are lethargic you have kidney/liver involvement & need to move fast with treatment. --Kelly C