4 mo puppy w/GI upset...HELP!

My puppy Akira is 4 months old and has had GI upset (diarrhea/gas) since we got her at 8.5 weeks old! We have been to the vet at least once if not twice a week since we got her. She has had at least 5 negative stool samples, x-rays, protonix shots, and has been on flagyl! We currently feed her Blue Buffalo large breed puppy which seemed to be fine until this week. We had her fast for 24 hrs which is what the vet recommended because she had 3 really bad stools. We were giving her treats such as Zukes Peanut butter and Fruitables but its been at least 3 weeks since she has been just on her kibble. With her kibble, we do put in 1-2 tsp of Fruitables Pumpkin which was suggested by our trainer. Shes still having really mushy stools this afternoon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

She eats 1.5 cups twice a day' date=' per the the instructions on the back of the bag[/quote']

The instructions on the bag will be too much. Huskies need very little compared to other dogs.

To put it in perspective...our 1 yr 2 month, big, bulky male is currently eating the amount that the bag recommends we feed to a pup of about 4 months old. Too much food is the most likely cause of the runs in huskies.

Ppersonally, I wouldn't starve for 24 hours at such a young age but would cut food right, right back and feed chicken and rice for at least a couple of days until poops are solid. When you do reintroduce the kibble...do so in small amounts. If poop is solid...increase slightly...if at any point poop is becoming loose again, go back to the previous quantity and stay there until you feel its time to increase.

What are you feeding? Some foods disagree with the delicate husky tummy.

And keep us posted on how it goes!

We feed her Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

How much rice and chicken should i feed her?

I gave our little one a cup of rice and boiled chicken...more as a special treat, they both got it, and she is 5 months...coming yp 6....but a very dinky one so maybe try that. Both of ours are always on the borderline between hungry for more and runny poops! But, feeding less = better weight gain and easier to clean garden! You'll be surprised by how little they do eat!

If im over feeding her should I be switching to a different type of food? For example, the Orijen large breed puppy? Our trainer told us not to give her kibble that has more then 30% protein. Is there a protein restriction for puppys/adult dogs? Im a nurse and I know that for adults being on a high protein diet for an extended period of time is not good for your kidneys.

My puppy Akira is 4 months old and has had GI upset (diarrhea/gas) since we got her at 8.5 weeks old! We have been to the vet at least once if not twice a week since we got her. She has had at least 5 negative stool samples, x-rays, protonix shots, and has been on flagyl! We currently feed her Blue Buffalo large breed puppy which seemed to be fine until this week. We had her fast for 24 hrs which is what the vet recommended because she had 3 really bad stools. We were giving her treats such as Zukes Peanut butter and Fruitables but its been at least 3 weeks since she has been just on her kibble. With her kibble, we do put in 1-2 tsp of Fruitables Pumpkin which was suggested by our trainer. Shes still having really mushy stools this afternoon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

i literally just went through this with my girl. cut the treats out completely and give her 1/3 a banana sliced up. put it on her food and it should help. if not i'd recommend switching the food brand.

try feeding her a bit less, maybe drop it down to a 1 cup. Huskies dont need as much food as reccomended. Try it and see if it helps as you could be over feeding.

your picture is amazing of your huskys as for thpost a agree with all the above it may be a little bit of over feeding or maybe the brand does not settle with her huskies can be really fussy

If im over feeding her should I be switching to a different type of food? For example' date=' the Orijen large breed puppy? Our trainer told us not to give her kibble that has more then 30% protein. Is there a protein restriction for puppys/adult dogs? Im a nurse and I know that for adults being on a high protein diet for an extended period of time is not good for your kidneys.[/quote']

If you change too much at once you'll find it tricky to actually figure out what the problem is.

If it was me, i'd simply cut food way down for a few days and see if that helps. Once you start getting solid poo it'll be easier to gage if the food is causing any issues. If you're worried about the kibble then do go with chicken and rice only for a few days to settle the tummy. But remember...if you do change kibble make sure that you do it gradually. Theres a good food thread on here somewhere if you have a snoop. :-)

Andy could not stomach Blue Buffalo when we brought him home, and we ended up giving him what we had left of Stormy's senior food from Iams and he loved it, so we switched to the regular Iams. They all get it, a cup, twice a day. Andy has had a loose tummy for a few days, is on the flagyl now, and is getting rice and hamburger (boiled) until he's solid again. :dogwalk: