Outward Hound Dog Backpacks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130587304627?var=430034210408&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Anyone have any reviews on this backpack? It's very cost effective for me, as I would only use it for 20 minutes a day at most. I just want something to slow Echo down a bit (and give her a job!) on our walks to the park... she runs around on her 50 ft lead at the park and has a playdate with a Beagle every night, but she is so anxious to get there, that the walk there is a nightmare to say the least (the walk back is nice, as she's good and tired!). Honestly, it may be a short 10 minutes there, but it seems to take forever, and after working a full day at the Humane Society, handling rough dogs 9 hours a day, the 10 minutes it takes to get Echo to the park hurts bad at that point lol. And she definetly pulls harder than a lot of the dogs at work! We may have hiking trips in the future, but right now, just looking for something basic, as well as something that won't fall apart so soon after only light use. Thanks! :)

I got Bo a similar backpack to try and tire him out as he is so full of energy. Did slow him down a little but also helped to build up his muscles even more and as Bo can pull like a train continuously this wasn't too helpful. He isn't very big but phenominally strong. Recently Bo ended up badly damaging the ligaments in my son's arm and he has only just started physio 10 weeks after it first happened and still taking pain killers.

I have one as well and love it. We've only just gotten it and the one I have came in two pieces - one is the 'harness' which goes on the dog and the second is the pack itself. I found it extremely helpful in getting Ryn to adjust to wearing it. She can now carry her own water, flexible bowl and poo bags on our walks. She's not really excited about it yet, but is learning that it's a good thing.

Thanks everyone for the reviews! I will probably order one on Friday. I was gonna order it earlier, but Echo jolted so hard yesterday and snapped another leash.. nylon this time :confused: It was cable last time, so a bit more understandable, but nylon?? So I had to buy her a new (and more expensive:jawdrop: ) leash today, and it better hold up, lol So the backpack will wait til next payday!

Get a good quality leather lead - braided at either end will likely be harder to snap, but if they're well stitched, that can be good, too - and with a brass snap. Give it a good rubbing (both sides) of mink oil to soften the leather when you first get it, then occasionally rub more in to keep it supple and in good condition. It will stretch out over time, but I have several that I've had for probably 15 years!

Have had an Outward Hound backpack I've used for many years (off and on), as well, and really like how you can remove the pack from the saddle part, giving the dog a bit of a rest and helping them cool a bit. If you go hiking in areas with natural trails where you can get a topographical map, consider going for a Working Pack Dog title from the Siberian Husky Club of America... http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm

Get a good quality leather lead - braided at either end will likely be harder to snap, but if they're well stitched, that can be good, too - and with a brass snap. Give it a good rubbing (both sides) of mink oil to soften the leather when you first get it, then occasionally rub more in to keep it supple and in good condition. It will stretch out over time, but I have several that I've had for probably 15 years!

Have had an Outward Hound backpack I've used for many years (off and on), as well, and really like how you can remove the pack from the saddle part, giving the dog a bit of a rest and helping them cool a bit. If you go hiking in areas with natural trails where you can get a topographical map, consider going for a Working Pack Dog title from the Siberian Husky Club of America... http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm

Thanks for the great advice.. I already purchased a new leash (a Kong bungee type leash), but perhaps the leather will be my next. I was really hoping not to have to resort to a chain leash at all, because I know it can be painful to hold the chain part on a dog that is pulling a lot!

Thanks for the Working Pack Dog title.. had no idea it existed.. sounds like something we could definetly accomplish together.. will definetly look into it :)

Thanks for the great advice.. I already purchased a new leash (a Kong bungee type leash), but perhaps the leather will be my next. I was really hoping not to have to resort to a chain leash at all, because I know it can be painful to hold the chain part on a dog that is pulling a lot!

Thanks for the Working Pack Dog title.. had no idea it existed.. sounds like something we could definetly accomplish together.. will definetly look into it :)

Love how kind my leather leads are on my hands, as well as how long they last! :) One of my earlier dogs earned her WPD, and my Shad that I lost last summer had most of the walks done for his, but I just never managed to get the last one in... :( It can be a lot of fun to do! :yahoo:

Echo's backpack came in the mail today, woohoo! She was not too thrilled to have it on at first, but it was no biggie once we were outside with it, she could care less. I had one 20oz water bottle on each side, and even that small amount made a difference. She would still pull like crazy and jump if she saw another dog, but that's nothing a bit more weight won't cure (I hope! lol). Most of the walk was very smooth. It was definetly a worthy investment!

I do have it adjusted as tight at possible (even had to cut some length off the straps so they weren't hanging and annoying her during the walk.. but I left enough so that I can adjust it as she grows), but even the stap in the very back isn't very snug.. is this normal? I got a medium, which is supposed to be for an 18-50 lb dog, she's 40lbs and I have it as small as it can possibly be. Also, does it stay adjusted or am I going to need to constantly readjust it? I ask because I have a Premier Easy Walk Harness, which is not my primary harness anymore, that I would have to adjust several times during the walk because with pressure, it would just unadjust itself. Thanks all! :)

426529_10150598147797880_781147879_9167720_1637576738_n.jpg

It shouldn't be tight enough that it chafes the dog or is 'skin tight', but it shouldn't be really loose cause that'll cause a change in the weight distribution and can cause her injury.

Here's more info...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4777519_fit-dog-backpack.html

As for your other adjustment question...I'm not sure. I only had mine for a year, and only used it a few times, before selling it after I found out about Suka's arthritis. But, during those few times, it never unadjusted.

I also used the 20 oz water bottles, then when she needed a little more I added cans of beans or whatever I had, also It took a few times to get the straps just right and then after that I never had to move them again, and whenever I get ready to put it on her she goes crazy cuz she knows we're going on a long long walk, and boy it makes her tired. BTW the backpack looks great on her!

Ah! I'd been looking for that page for a while; just never tried the most logical place for it. Also found the Canadian version on the SHCC page ( http://www.siberianhuskyclubofcanada.com/ and listed under programs) and might give it at a go sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, approximately one week after recieving the backpack, this happened:

426911_10150610853002880_781147879_9209498_997801380_n.jpg

I am not sure what went wrong :( There was less than 4 pounds in the pack, and as we were walking, I noticed a string dragging behind us. I guess it had started unraveling as we were walking and that's what it looked like when we got home. Is there any specific reason why it would do this? It was working so well for her too!

Nothing is Echo-proof.. this is the 3rd equipment failure of some sort since January, lol.

Well, approximately one week after recieving the backpack, this happened:

426911_10150610853002880_781147879_9209498_997801380_n.jpg

I am not sure what went wrong :( There was less than 4 pounds in the pack, and as we were walking, I noticed a string dragging behind us. I guess it had started unraveling as we were walking and that's what it looked like when we got home. Is there any specific reason why it would do this? It was working so well for her too!

Nothing is Echo-proof.. this is the 3rd equipment failure of some sort since January, lol.

Wow, looks like a defect, call and send back, I'm sure they'll replace it.

Wow, looks like a defect, call and send back, I'm sure they'll replace it.

I would get a defected one, lol. I got it off Ebay brand new, would you reccomend going to the seller or would the company that manufactures them replace it? I think the second choice would be the easier route, if they will do it. Thanks!

• 7 years later...