thinking of buying a puppy thread

davidjk

Im actually so angry here tonight, i have just rang my breeder for the seventh time still trying to get the papers for niko who is 7 months old now, but he was so rude to me on the phone and keeps saying you will have your papers in two weeks, and when i told him he has been saying that for ages now, he got so agressive and told me if he decides to send me the papers, he is going to mark them so i cant breed niko because im annoying him so much! like wtf! i now feel i have been scammed, he still has ads up selling huskies and stating they are kc registered as both parents are too, im so upset about this as i checked out so many breeders before i settled on him, has anyone any advice on my next move here?

Im actually so angry here tonight, i have just rang my breeder for the seventh time still trying to get the papers for niko who is 7 months old now, but he was so rude to me on the phone and keeps saying you will have your papers in two weeks, and when i told him he has been saying that for ages now, he got so agressive and told me if he decides to send me the papers, he is going to mark them so i cant breed niko because im annoying him so much! like wtf! i now feel i have been scammed, he still has ads up selling huskies and stating they are kc registered as both parents are too, im so upset about this as i checked out so many breeders before i settled on him, has anyone any advice on my next move here?

Contact trading standards, if you bought the pup as KC registered he should come with KC papers when you took him home not 7 months later or never!

sounds as though you have been done over on this one :angry:

when i got my pup the breeder gave me a form to transfer ownership, this is a KC form and was all done and dusted within 1 week. there is no reason why this shouldnt have been done immediatly when you got the puppy.

yeah i'd say contact trading standards and if you really want to pursue i guess a small claims court but if you dont want the papers for breeding or entering into races, showing etc then it may be more stress for you than its worth.

He told us that the papers have to be sent from him first to get the registered show name for niko and then we will get them in two weeks, he seemed so genuine and we visited his house 5 times until niko was old enough to take home, but tonight he just turned so nasty and was quite scary on the phone, thanks for that advice, i will ring them first thing in the morning

He told us that the papers have to be sent from him first to get the registered show name for niko and then we will get them in two weeks

i think it might be worth contacting a trustworthy breeder to find out exactly, but i think the pup does need to be reg'd first. but as im not a breeder im not 100% sure.

my pups transfer paperwork defo had the breeders name on it so i am guessing she reg'd first. i had to pay about £20 to transfer over. perhaps contact SHCGB for advice and also find out if the breeder is well known.

This i would say is a major factor make sure the Breeder whants to stay in touch and give Life Long Advice, when i first got my little Girl the breeder gave all information is House and Mobile Number, and i also have him as a friend on Facebook, he also had a tear in his eye when we came to pick her up., We keep in touch with each other all the time.

same here ;) lol

i think it might be worth contacting a trustworthy breeder to find out exactly, but i think the pup does need to be reg'd first. but as im not a breeder im not 100% sure.

my pups transfer paperwork defo had the breeders name on it so i am guessing she reg'd first. i had to pay about £20 to transfer over. perhaps contact SHCGB for advice and also find out if the breeder is well known.

Yep the breeder deffo has to send off the registration for the litter this is usually done within the first few weeks of birth then they get the transfer forms for each pup and they should go home with the pup when they go to their new home.

he told me when i get the papers i would have to pay an extra 15 euro to get the pup transferred to my name which i knew and didnt care, thats why everything seemed so genuine and i totally trusted him, even if i dont get the papers, im still going to chase this creep and report all his ads that he puts up as he charges 700 euros for the pups and not even providing the papers so at least it might help someone else :angry:

• 1 month later...

my story is quite the same.. i got my first husky from a breeder who only cared about the money... but anyway, i bought the puppy because it was suffering from demodectic mange. the owner didn't know about that and doesn't seem to care.. but i noticed it as soon as i saw the bald spot at his eye region. glad to know it was still treatable and was just a local type of demodecosis. i got him to the vet and continued a series of treatments. he was given an ivermectin shot and it worked out well.. so now, my Zeus is fine and is as fun as he can be! all i want to do now is to have another sibe to be his companion.

• 1 month later...

I bought my husky from a small breeder in a little town in texas "Quitman" I lived there for a few years and my father in law is the veterinarian there so it was someone who he knew from seeing her animals. She breeds pet quality siberian huskies as well as show quality huskies too, she includes a full background on all of her animals and truly has some beautiful dogs. I know she ships as well as does personal pick ups, we really couldn't have been happier with the beautiful boy we brought home!

• 2 months later...

This thread is pretty useful, being a first time husky owner soon when I get enough money I'm pretty weiry of who would be the right breeder to go to as I don't want to be robbed off, I want the bredder to actually give a damn about this amazing breed and not just in it for the money.

• 1 year later...

I would like to add my experience!

We had an African grey parrot up for sale as I was heavily pregnant and he was disturbing my sleep, our baby was born and still no buyer for the parrot, 3 weeks after the birth of my daughter I was contacted by a man that breeds his 2 huskies and registers them on dog lovers. He was offering a puppy for the parrot which my partner agreed as he had always wanted a dog. We now have a lovely little 6 month old puppy that I wouldn't ever dream of giving to anyone! My problem was that I was told her papers would be sent to me, the only reason I wanted them was for a history of her breeding! The other people who bought puppies from the same litter got their papers. We on the other hand were told that they were in the mail. I found this odd. I contacted the guy several times asking for just the details of her parents and grand parents, I got no answer. So I sent a request to dog lovers club to see if they could assist me. They told me they could not register my dog without the breeder giving the parents and grand parents information! Needless to say I am now worrying about the health and safety of the parrot we gave them! They dogs were very well looked after and looked in great condition but I find it odd that they are now ignoring our plea for the simple names of grand parents names! My advice to anyone is! If you want a background to your dogs breeding and relatives, go to a reputable breeder that breeds good quality healthy dogs! My puppy is the picture of health but people keeping their word would be nice!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi , I'm really after some advice , After months of talking with the family we have decided to get a puppy and i have always wanted a Husky since i was a kid , My wifes a little unsure but we was wondering how would a puppy be with a cat , I have a persian cat who is the queen of the house and wouldn't want anything to happen to her ,

We would look to have a bitch (not sure if that makes any difference) and would be apart when un-supervised.

Any help on this would be great

Hi , I'm really after some advice , After months of talking with the family we have decided to get a puppy and i have always wanted a Husky since i was a kid , My wifes a little unsure but we was wondering how would a puppy be with a cat , I have a persian cat who is the queen of the house and wouldn't want anything to happen to her ,

We would look to have a bitch (not sure if that makes any difference) and would be apart when un-supervised.

Hello and welcome to Husky Owners, thank you for asking first before taking any actions towards getting your first husky puppy. Considering the fact that you have a cat, it is very good to know that huskies have very high prey drive and anything that's smaller than them or even at around their size could in 99% of the cases be considered a prey - cats, birds /chickens/, even sheeps and so on.

I don't want to be discouraging but you'd be taking a great chance if you let your husky unsupervised with your cat. I still had a cat when we got my Ares and he was only playing with him but nowadays Ares would go nuts over chasing every cat/squirrel/bird/mouse we see.

• Like 2

Hey there Matt welcome to our big husky family :) thank you for doing your research before purchasing a pup xxx as Dimitar (post above) has said, a husky and a cat in the same house is pretty much a recipe for disaster. Are there cat owners in our husky owners forum? Yes, there are quite a few. But they keep their pets very closely supervised. I even heard (read) most of them keep the two animals entirely separated. The dog also needs to have a docile, tolerant personality. Not all huskies have that. You can always search for such husky in a breed specific rescue center and break your house into two sections, but the risk will always be there. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but although it's in the "doable" category instead of "impossible", I'd still kindly recommend you to take a look at another breed...

• Like 1

Hey Matt, if you get a puppy and if the cat is even the least bit dominant then it's possible, puppy learns real early to not pester the cat.  On that note though, others had had the sad experience of having them get along for years and all of a sudden Husky determines that the cat's prey. 

As the others have said, Husky's and cats generally don't mix well.

And thanks for doing your homework on this, finding out that Husky's consider most smaller things as prey, after the fact, is never pleasant.

On another note, I went to visit my aunt who has a Golden and a cat - I put Sasha in the back yard with both the Golden and the cat, watching closely to see what was going to happen - so I could interrupt if needed.  Cat was laying on a picnic table and Sasha came over to investigate, cat stood up, Sasha backed up, cat came off the table and Sasha took off with the cat in hot pursuit!  My aunt and I both about died laughing!! Would I have trusted her alone in the house with the same cat - not on your life!

Edited by Al Jones
  • Like 2

I'm a little slow coming into the conversation, but wanted to add my two cents worth. First of all, paper work exchange varies, some breeders don't pass paper work along until certain conditions have been met by the new owner, such as spaying/neutering. Usually those conditions should be set forth in a contractual agreement between you and the breeder. If the breeder does not have a clear contract of what s/he will provide in regards to the pup; health guarantee, hip/eye certification information on the parents, shots/vaccinations, etc. vs. what you will provide; regular contact with breeder, additional shots/vaccinations, spay/neuter, etc. I would seriously consider walking the other way.

In regards to the cats, this is so totally dependent on both the conditions under which the pup was raised as well as the temperament of the dog (and the cat). I've seen lots of Siberians in the same household as cats, and both of mine are totally tolerant of the cats in my home. In fact the cats will often go into the crates with the dogs when the crates are open. That doesn't mean I would trust them to be good around other cats, especially if those cats were to run, as running often elicits the prey drive response. Do some research, find a breeder that has cats, and with whom the puppies have been raised around cats, make sure your cat will tolerate the dog (also a major factor), and you can have both in the same house without fear. Do a quick google search of Siberian huskies and cats - there are literally hundreds of pictures on the net. I personally would never allow ownership of cats to drive me away from the possibility of owning a Siberian.

MystApolloandacat11Sept2012_zpsd47ed219.

• Like 2

Hi I have just took ownership of a 5 month old pup but also have one at 19 months both females I understand they will fight for dominance how long will this last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, I see you've created a separate thread for this and I hope you get the help you're looking for. :)

For people who can Offer some advice, Here's a link to the other thread. It would be easier to keep all advise on that thread rather than here to make things simple and hopefully reduce any repetition of the same things.