thinking of buying a puppy thread

davidjk

I am really glad that I am not in the position of having to buy my first Siberian Husky puppy today. The whole business is fraught with problems, not least because the vast majority of people breeding nowadays are not remotely interested in the welfare of the breed, only the money they can make. Just look at the hundreds of Sibe pups available on e-pupz...........

At the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon (ie a grumpy old man - which I am) I really regret the way things have changed in our breed (and many others).

The problem is that the internet (and the proliferation of commercial breeders - whether puppy farmers, backyard breeders or naive/greedy "pet" breeders) has made it so easy to buy a puppy of any breed almost instantly.

When we first got into Siberians almost 20 years ago, it was very different. Most breeders were ethical and reputable. If you contacted a breeder about a puppy, they would quiz you about your knowledge of the breed and then politely advise you to go away and visit dog shows, rallies and, most importantly, people who owned the breed, so that you could find out first hand what the dogs were like to live with. Then after 6 months or so, to go back and see them. If at that point you were still interested in having a puppy, the breeder might put you on their waiting list. A year or so later - again - if you were lucky, you might get your puppy. When you finally got a puppy, you would have more or less served an apprenticeship in the breed and would know exactly what you are letting yourself in for.

Nowadays, you can be sitting at home watching "Snow Dogs" or "8 Below" on TV one evening, little Johnny says, "I want one of those" and after 30 minutes or so on the 'net you could have "sourced" a pup ready for collection the next day.

This is one of the main reasons why so many huskies come into rescue - we've had 10 dogs under 6 months of age handed in to us over the past 6 months - all of which reflect the scenario above.

I know it is difficult, but we would advise people looking for a puppy to be patient. Take your time and find the right breeder with the right puppy - even if it takes you (like it did us) almost two years before you get your pup. After all, anything which is really worth having is worth working and waiting for.

The advice we give to people looking for a pup is here and if you follow it, I don't think you can go far wrong: http://www.dreamcatcher.org.uk/looking_for_a_puppy.htm

Mick

• Like 3

i think im right in saying that everyone here knows how keen we are to start our pack, so thanks for the info mick, we will take it all on board and use it as much as we can.

In the mean time, if anyone knows of a young dog needing a very keen loving forever home...please let us know asap.

Ade and claire

Great idea, added to rep David, and Mick

Ive moved this to the husky questions section and stuck the thread so it's at the top of the page :)

Ade - I know you've researched the breed and are desperate now to get your first pup, don't worry, they are worth the wait :0 not sure about the sleepless nights and toilet training but hey ho - it doesn't last forever lol

I think this is a really good thread!! As a first time sibe owner I can really understabd why breeders or owners are so passionate about the breed and dont just want to give pups out just to anyone> I Remember the feeling of really wanting a pup but am so glad we waited and done our research and come across Grey and offered him a home ( he was the Dog for us!) :D

Have you applied to SHWA(UK) we have 9 Sibes in welfare waiting for that forever home, also the GB club have a overloaded welfare too,

Where are you in the UK, maybe good for you to meet a pack and you are more than welcome to come and meet our lunatics,

All of our dogs are pets, but we do show and work them, all of the adults bar one have got their studbook numbers,

We would be more than happy for you to come and meet us,

as other people have said, be aware and be careful as all husky pups are stunning, go and meet people go to a few shows and in the winter rallies, spend time looking, if you are not sure about a breeder pm us and we can help,

for the love of our breed and the future of the breed, take your time and I am sure the right dog is out there for you,

Terry

great thread idea added to rep

great advice Mick added to rep

The best advice I could give to anyone looking for a sibe puppy is firstly do your research on the breed and secondly dont jump straight inwith the first litter of puppies you find. Look around and speak to each breeder first and get a 'feel' for them first. Once you have spoken to several breeders sit down with everyone else in household and put everything on the table and discuss the good and bad points of each breeder and go for the one you ALL feel most comfortable buying a puppy from. Also ask others (on here, for example ;)) if they have had any experience with the breeder and gather their thoughts which can really help you make the right choice.

I think a breeder you have a good reppor with is also a big plus point. Good reputable breeders will ask you to keep in contact and will always be willing to answer any questions you throw at them.

IMO if a breeder was of the opinion of well you bought him/her they're your dog now, nothing to do with me, i'd be turning sharply on my heels and walking the other way

we researched sibes, when we knew it was the breed for us, we read everything we could find.

then when we got micha we where slightly prepared for her.

when we reached 5 months boy where we at our witts end with micha, she was so bad, but then something clicked and she calmed down.

i think she was just pushing the boundaries to see how far they would give.

any way the point is no matter how much you read there is never enough info.

so hints and tips from owners would be so good

• Like 1

woohoo..after an hour long phone conversation we are finally organising a home visit from the siberian husky club of great britain with a view to rehoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fantastic, Ade & Claire! I'm just waiting for SHWA to get in touch & RSPCA are arranging a home visit with us to rehome what will be our 2nd sibe ....

In the meantime, keep researching the breed & asking questions on here!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

fantastic idea i just wished i had found this site before i rushed out to get the pup of my dreams! first one was an inbreed and my little echo i have now i got her though feeling sorry for the puppies as they were kept in a bad condition. followed my heart not my head! i bought echo then reported seller to rspca. still battling with diarrhea with my vet! and she was only 4 and a half weeks old! not ready for a new home. there are so many fakes out there in it for the money its discusting!! and really hard to know who to trust!

• 4 months later...

I think a breeder you have a good reppor with is also a big plus point. Good reputable breeders will ask you to keep in contact and will always be willing to answer any questions you throw at them.

IMO if a breeder was of the opinion of well you bought him/her they're your dog now, nothing to do with me, i'd be turning sharply on my heels and walking the other way

• 2 weeks later...

We considered getting a pup but felt we needed to know itwas defo the right decision for us & our lifestyle. We fostered through shwa & have learnt loads. Really glad we did this before we got a pup & made all the mistakes many people make.

We are now ready for our own, but with so many in welfare I can't bring myself to hand over that £. For our first it will defo be a welfare dog....who knows our 2nd may be a pup once we have sound contacts through rallies etc

for the first time ever I'm so looking forward to the winter being with the dogs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This i would say is a major factor make sure the Breeder whants to stay in touch and give Life Long Advice, when i first got my little Girl the breeder gave all information is House and Mobile Number, and i also have him as a friend on Facebook, he also had a tear in his eye when we came to pick her up., We keep in touch with each other all the time.