Questioning the bond between Husky and Owner

Hagon

I've been wondering about the bond between a husky and his owner.

Don't take this question TOO serious, or it might sound a little silly.

I've been wondering about this for a little while. It's said everywhere that huskies are very independent and also very affectionate and loves everyone unconditionally, just the same. Even total strangers. What makes the bond between the owner and the husky so special?

I've read that you must allways keep your husky in leash or contained within an area or else it will escape ( And they are very clever at that, apparently). I've heard numerous stories about people having their huskies which was accidentally released storming out into the horizon, sometimes never to be seen again. Do they not care about / miss their owner when running away?

Apart from beeing the " Pack leader" and having the trust and obedience of your dog, is there anything " special" between the owner and his good ol' husky? Does the husky love his owner more than any other human and/or dog they know, or do they just look at the owner the same way an employee look at their "boss" which happens to also be one of his friends?

How is the relationship between a husky and his owner, versus any other human?

How is the relationship between a husky and his owner, versus any other dog and HIS owner?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering about this for a little while. It's said everywhere that huskies are very independent and also very affectionate and loves everyone unconditionally, just the same. Even total strangers. What makes the bond between the owner and the husky so special?

I've read that you must allways keep your husky in leash or contained within an area or else it will escape ( And they are very clever at that, apparently). I've heard numerous stories about people having their huskies which was accidentally released storming out into the horizon, sometimes never to be seen again. Do they not care about / miss their owner when running away?

Apart from beeing the " Pack leader" and having the trust and obedience of your dog, is there anything " special" between the owner and his good ol' husky? Does the husky love his owner more than any other human and/or dog they know, or do they just look at the owner the same way an employee look at their "boss" which happens to also be one of his friends?

How is the relationship between a husky and his owner, versus any other more common dog and his owner?

Hmmm...not sure of the differences with other breeds with regards to bonding. Good question! I think with Teeko, the OH will agree here, he has definitely bonded more closely to me and there is an obvious affection towards me that differs from my OH while the little girl is the opposite...she dotes on the OH.

However...i still think if he lost us....then yes he'd be distressed but would happily approach and trust any other human that showed him affection. I have seen him get in a real tizzy in a game of hide and seek where he clearly had no idea where I was and got himself quite distressed....but....he's always on a lead so I dont honestly know if he'd be different off lead.

Way I like to see it....i loves my dogs...my dogs love me....thats they way it'll always be...a happy, furry family! :-D (feel free to mock, lol, but I prefer to look at tje sunny side...and remain naive when appropriate!)

My partners father has a lab called Barney who is 9. Barney is devoted to his owner, on Saturday I watched him sit on a field behind his owner staring at him, ball in mouth patiently waiting for his owner to turn round and give him attention. No other thought crossed his mind, just owner and ball.

Husky's aren't like that, they think independently or 'outside the box' if you like. Yes they love everyone they meet, but they recognise their human from other humans. They can read you as well as you read them. They are THE most expressive dogs I've ever known. You can see the cogs turning just by watching their faces. If they blithely followed instruction in their natural surroundings it could kill them and their human. That independence and quick intelligence is what sets them apart. Having said that, they love the security their human creates for them and in my own experience no matter how busy a day they've had, at the end of it will always end up laying under your feet

My husky is not typical in being friendly and loving toward everyone. He is actually very cautious and timid around new people but will slowly warm up to them. Kuma has defiantly bonded with me and my OH. If he were to get lost I feel he would eventually warm up to a new owner but like with us it would take months before he finally relaxed and opened up to them.

Koopa my pit bull loves people and never meets a stranger. He would happily go up to anyone to be loved on but he is a loyal friend to me and my OH. Koopa is very much devoted to us while still being super friendly.

Tenchi my pekingese is a lot like Kuma in that he is aloof with strangers but opens up more quickly to new people. He is a momma's boy though and is my little buddy lol

I just want to say,

Zarly is my partners dog, she is obsessed with him, will do anything for him and the bond is incredible.

We've had other breeds of dogs and not had this, Marakai is my dog and we've only had him 1 month but he has bonded well with me so far, trusts me and does what I ask of him because he wants to make me happy - not because there is food!

All Siberians are known for what they call a "7 mile" run. When they go on this run, their homing instinct just goes out the door, right along with them. This is true to where someone else finds the Siberian, they will comfortably settle in with the new home. So Tag, Tag, Tag your Siberian with a collar.

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Interesting questions!!!

I was until recently living with 2 sibes . 1 male and 1 female. The male doted on my ex and loved him to pieces - would pine for him if he went upstairs and closed the door (!), but never seemed too fussed by me. He changed over the last year and in particular when I moved out. Taking him on walks he was well behaved and at times even trotted next to me and looked up for direction. My female, Raya was more 'my dog' as she followed me everywhere and used to sit with me and jump on my lap (I like to think for comfort, but prob more for dominance!!!)

I'm now in a new place with my new OH and Raya. She has been getting used to the surroundings, but she has changed. She now seems to favour my new OH and isn't quite the same with me. I don't really understand why, but she is not as clingy as she was. She sits with me, but something about her is different....

I don't like the thought of her snuggling up with new people if I had to give her up - but at the same time I would want her to (if that makes sense) -because I would want her to be happy. After I left my previous place last year, I was told that both huskies kept going to the front door looking for me and Raya was given my sleeping bag to lie on for comfort as she was 'missing me' and kept getting on my side of the bed!

Funny how animals do attach to people. A friends husky who doesnt tend to go near anyone, for some reason comes up to me and lets me stroke him and play with him. I'm told he doesn't do this with anyone else but her and tends to stay away from people. Maybe they feel in us something they identify with?

My main thought is just for Raya to be a happy healthy husky :D

When I got Shila and Orion, within a day of being around her Shila was attached to me. Even now she still barks if I leave and I think her favorite thing is sitting beside me or lying beside me. She follows me everywhere no matter if it's to the kitchen, or to the bathroom :lolman:

Orion is more independent but lately one of the first things he has to do on being let out of his kennel is to come to me and get patted, or when I sit down he has to jump up and shove his head against my chest. That said, he sees other people he just wants to go meet them and if it's my family, whom he knows, he goes puppy submissive/excited. Shila on the other hand, while excited, goes bonkers when I come home in the morning.

I think if taken by someone else they'd adapt, but I'd like to think Shi would still miss me.

I like to think of huskys (a highly intelligent dog) as young children, very trusting and open with anyone who gives affection. Yes they may run (and run and run) but just like a child they would recognise you instantly when you went to pick them up and would great you with excitement. I also think that just like a child as long as they are loved and well cared for they will adapt to any new surroundings should they be "taken" after a bout of running. That said if the dog is a little older and used to a routine the new "owner" may find it difficult to have a disruptive dog (disruptive because the routine has gone) and may "turf" them out. Thus making the bond unbreakable between and husky and their human - similar to a mum and child. I know I feel like a mummy with my fur baby.

Anyone who sees me with shadow can tell there is a strong bond there that will never go away he is different with me than anyone else but he also loves anyone and everyone but it is not the same as what he is like with me :)

I so agree and understand in what you are saying, my Sasha, every move I made there she was. We run a bakery and live on the premises.I would wake early, would come through the living room and all three Siberians would be asleep. I would close the door so I would not wake anyone. As I would start my day, I would hear a low whimper at the door and I would open the door and there would be Sasha. She would come into the baking room and always lay in the same spot to where she could see me. This happened every day for years. Now when I bake, I so miss not seeing her where she always laid. I do believe the Siberian is so keen/intelligent and so in tune to their humans but because of their strength, they will adapt if some one shows them love.:heartbeat::wub:

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Very good topic.... Although I don't have a husky yet... my parent's dog - not sure the breed - she loves my father... she will sit/lay next to both my parents... and they both give her attention, but when my dad goes out anyplace, she will go lay by the door and wait for him to come home. My dad is retired and home more then my mom... but the dog was full-grown when they got her.

My first thought was that the dogs bond early on... but at least with my parents dog it happen even though it wasn't a puppy. :D

My Mom says that Suka still goes up to my room every night to see if I'm there, only to lie down at the foot of my bed to sleep. I've been gone for 5 weeks now, and he does it every night...sometimes multiple times per day!

The first time I ever came home, I was gone for a month and a half. I only came home for a few days (Thanksgiving), but as soon as Suka saw me he'd peed in excitement! He's never done that before!

But, he's not exactly loyal to us! He once let a little kid attach a leash to him and take him to his (the kid's) house! They called the humane society, which then called us to tell us where Suka was, but still...he didn't even put up a fuss! He was happy to go along with the kid...probably hoping he had food! lol!

I think I have a pretty strong bond with mika comPared to everyone in the household. Mainly cuz everyone tells me how much he cries when I leave the house. He doesn't cry for anyone else. Tht being said, seems like he takes me for granted when we go out to the dog park. (on lead of course lol) ..Won't even acknowledge me lol won't change the fact that I love him very muchhhhh!

That strong bond and the urge to go explore aren't mutually exclusive! Even though most of us love our furry friends/family members dearly, we still generally bring ourselves to leave them home while we go off to work, shopping, or out with friends on social occasions... My guys tend to be very bonded to me (and vice-versa!), but most of them would love a chance to go and explore - although they want to be sure I'll be waiting for them with dinner ready when they get home!

How is the relationship between a husky and his owner, versus any other dog and HIS owner?

huskies were bred to run (and pull, yes). In summers (or any other season, couldn't remember it correctly LOL) the Chukchi people would let their huskies ran off and feed themselves. So whenever they're off-lead, it is a signal that says "ok u can go now" for them. And as you already know, dogs live by instinct. They don't miss their owner the way humans do, the only thing they know is that they're off-lead and they have always been taught to RUN so this is not about loyalty IMO. It's just about how they were raised thousands of years ago. Even through so many years of domestication and usage as a companion , doggies would always act the way they're taught to act several thousand years ago. THAT is why we have typical breed traits :) because some breeds were taught to herd, some others were taught to swim, and some other were simply taught to run and run and run AND RUN :) as an answer to your question about how friendly huskies can be with strangers, it is because huskies have always been taught to be nice with just ANYONE since the very start. A website I read states that there's this custom in the chukchi tribe where little children were left alone in the same room with 12-13 huskies ALL night long--probably to test the kid's bravery. The website says that this is why huskies were generally great with kids, AND way too friendly with strangers. Still, they do have this special bond with their owner. You can clearly tell by how they would ONLY listen to a single person (ermm at least Dime's like that hehee) ;) wait, they don't? O_O okay LOL so u can tell by how they would happily welcome a few people--while they can completely ignore others. EVEN if they love just everyone :D

now correct me if I'm wrong, but this is as far as I know. Sorry if I made any mistakes :)

i have 2 huskies and a staffy x - the bond between me and my staffy is crazy - i cant go anywhere without him following me - he sleeps on my bed with me and if i go out he will either sulk on my bed or lay at the top of the stairs n wait for me to come back

my female husky is QUITE similar she is very obedient listens to me and cries if i go out n leave her - she HAS been let off the lead n she hasnt strayed far HOWEVER she has a VERY high prey drive so for that reason she is kept onlead - n when we go to the feild shes on a 100ft long lead - she isnt much of a runner which is why i think she doesnt stray

my male husky is VERY attached to my mother but he is a working husky (or he will b when i get a scooter) but i know the owners of his 2 sisters who are great working dogs - n he has the making of it too - so even tho he is super attached to our family its in his blood to run - n if he gets the chance run he will! however he doesnt actually try to escape the house - its just if he manages to get off his lead he will b gone

Like others have said, i don't think it's that they don't bond with their owner(s) as you can see the love and loyalty your dog has for you. And if they do escape etc, i don't think they are running away so much as running towards what ever it is that has their attention ;)

Roxy isn't a typical husky in that she loves everyone, she's not too fond of strangers at all, but once she knows a person she doesn't mind who gives her attention, as long as someone is! Though given a choice, she will be in the same room as me.

I think that the reason alot of us love huskies is due to their loving nature :) as nice as it would be to have a 'one person' dog, i think it's nicer to have a family dog!

I've heard and read that Husky's aren't as affectionate as say, Malamutes or other breeds, however, I would disagree. From my personal experience, what you put in, you get out. If you treat them special, take care of them well, and give them the best you will get that back-even though they are independent. Also to be noted, the more time you spend with them, the stronger the bond grows and the affection they will have for you. Our boy goes everywhere with my wife and I in the car, plus at home he is always around us every minute-he jumps on the bed with us and lays at the foot of the bed and lays his head over our legs and will often "check in" with us and see what we're doing and lick our face and you can just see the love in which he does it-I KNOW they are loving, loyal and affectionate little beings albeit their wild nature, independent spirit of adventure and strong prey drive coupled with the innate desire to run. They give what they get, but yes, they are loving and affectionate and very much capable of forming a bond with their family-yes, they will take to strangers with relish, but their nature is kind, and as such, they greet all with enthusiasm and playful joy. Thats our beloved breed we so :heartbeat::wub:love post-4-0-14732300-1381863197.png :wub:

post-3533-13586018558778_thumb.jpg

The bond between master and husky is special because a husky needs that extra attention and care to prevent them from climbing across the fence and becoming someone elses' dog. I think it's more one way. Us husky owners love our dogs unconditionally despite their, dare I say, less loyalty than other breeds. It's always better to give than to receive. Imagine how much we are giving to our husky as opposed to a very loyal breed...:)

My husky, Smokey, was a rehome/rescue. When he walked away from his previous owner (who got a little teary eyed) Smokey cried for a few minutes. He seemed to be hurt and put his chin on my husband's shoulder as my husband drove him home. Initially, a husky will probably miss his family but over time I think that he will begin to love his/her new home just the same. It's not upsetting to me to think about them in this manner.

I personally, see my husky as a very intelligent dog. If I compare him to my GSD, Zeeva, he is leaps and bounds more intelligent than her. But she is leaps and bounds more loyal to me. I don't think a husky sees his master as a "boss that also happens to be one of his friends." I believe that a husky sees his master as a caregiver, as someone to play with, as someone to fool and act clownish around, as someone to upset....as someone to provoke emotion from and give a response to. Because they are so intelligent, I believe that they can read their master very well. I know that Smokey knows when he's deceiving me or my dad. For example, he won't eat his food unless I pour something yummy into it. But I learned to take his food away and now he knows that I won't have it. Another example, he seriously laughs at me when he doesn't want his collar put on for walkies...It's hilarious to watch his goofy face when he knows he should be doing something but doesn't do it.

Pretty similar...

Very different. Every breed has their own quirks and characteristics that you have to account for when training them and taking care of them.

This was a wonderful question. Thank you! :)

huskies were bred to run (and pull, yes). In summers (or any other season, couldn't remember it correctly LOL) the Chukchi people would let their huskies ran off and feed themselves. So whenever they're off-lead, it is a signal that says "ok u can go now" for them. And as you already know, dogs live by instinct. They don't miss their owner the way humans do, the only thing they know is that they're off-lead and they have always been taught to RUN so this is not about loyalty IMO. It's just about how they were raised thousands of years ago. Even through so many years of domestication and usage as a companion , doggies would always act the way they're taught to act several thousand years ago. THAT is why we have typical breed traits :) because some breeds were taught to herd, some others were taught to swim, and some other were simply taught to run and run and run AND RUN :) as an answer to your question about how friendly huskies can be with strangers, it is because huskies have always been taught to be nice with just ANYONE since the very start. A website I read states that there's this custom in the chukchi tribe where little children were left alone in the same room with 12-13 huskies ALL night long--probably to test the kid's bravery. The website says that this is why huskies were generally great with kids, AND way too friendly with strangers. Still, they do have this special bond with their owner. You can clearly tell by how they would ONLY listen to a single person (ermm at least Dime's like that hehee) ;) wait, they don't? O_O okay LOL so u can tell by how they would happily welcome a few people--while they can completely ignore others. EVEN if they love just everyone :D

now correct me if I'm wrong, but this is as far as I know. Sorry if I made any mistakes :)

" So whenever they're off-lead, it is a signal that says "ok u can go now" for them. And as you already know, dogs live by instinct. They don't miss their owner the way humans do, the only thing they know is that they're off-lead and they have always been taught to RUN so this is not about loyalty "

thats the only thing i think is a mistake... yes dogs are geneticly trained on how to act and think from thousands of years ago and still do dont get me wrong but now it is also- only natural for a dog to expect a human to be around to help them after MANY of years of seeing annsestors and life after life of humans comuikating and helpin also feeding them wich is the main thing to a dog and genuarly looking after them , which means that the only thing they no isnt to just to run and not miss there humans , they look at us a essential in there life they know no better ... or ur dog would feed its self let himself out too pee in the back garden atualy he would probly use the toilet if they were that inderpendant haha ... i think a bond between you and your dog is however you look at it ... do you want ur dog to be your best freind? do you want him to just pull you around on a sledge? or just a qwik hello and goodbie dog and let someone else care about him? how ever you bond with your dog is how he will bond with you, u show him love, u help him out when he needs things you take him for long adventuras walks and play and conect with them then rele at the end off the day its hard for them not to love you... like i said its allready breed into them that humans are good and there too help .

ps sorry about spelling im deslexitc and carnt rele spell :sorry: lol

" So whenever they're off-lead, it is a signal that says "ok u can go now" for them. And as you already know, dogs live by instinct. They don't miss their owner the way humans do, the only thing they know is that they're off-lead and they have always been taught to RUN so this is not about loyalty "

thats the only thing i think is a mistake... yes dogs are geneticly trained on how to act and think from thousands of years ago and still do dont get me wrong but now it is also- only natural for a dog to expect a human to be around to help them after MANY of years of seeing annsestors and life after life of humans comuikating and helpin also feeding them wich is the main thing to a dog and genuarly looking after them , which means that the only thing they no isnt to just to run and not miss there humans , they look at us a essential in there life they know no better ... or ur dog would feed its self let himself out too pee in the back garden atualy he would probly use the toilet if they were that inderpendant haha ... i think a bond between you and your dog is however you look at it ... do you want ur dog to be your best freind? do you want him to just pull you around on a sledge? or just a qwik hello and goodbie dog and let someone else care about him? how ever you bond with your dog is how he will bond with you, u show him love, u help him out when he needs things you take him for long adventuras walks and play and conect with them then rele at the end off the day its hard for them not to love you... like i said its allready breed into them that humans are good and there too help .

nah thats fine I can read ur post easily :up: thanks for correcting me, I'll keep that in mind ;)

I don't think dogs 'expect' anything. That's thinking like a person not a dog. I think they are born into an enviroment and they adapt to survive, as animals do. There are still places in the world where Huskies are used in exactly the same way that they were thousands of years ago, if they expected their human to feed them in the months when they struggle to find food themselves then they would starve.

Does that mean they didn't have a bond with their owner? No, it's the most basic survival instinct, which is one that can't be trained out of them. Stray dogs are another example, they survive because they have no other choice.

I do think that you get out what you put into a relationship with your dog, as you said, which in the domestic dog does make a big difference in their behaviour, but they all start out with 'blueprint' and adapt accordingly.

I don't think dogs 'expect' anything. That's thinking like a person not a dog. I think they are born into an enviroment and they adapt to survive, as animals do. There are still places in the world where Huskies are used in exactly the same way that they were thousands of years ago, if they expected their human to feed them in the months when they struggle to find food themselves then they would starve.

Does that mean they didn't have a bond with their owner? No, it's the most basic survival instinct, which is one that can't be trained out of them. Stray dogs are another example, they survive because they have no other choice.

I do think that you get out what you put into a relationship with your dog, as you said, which in the domestic dog does make a big difference in their behaviour, but they all start out with 'blueprint' and adapt accordingly.

dogs do 'expect' things as soon as they are born obvisly they will see there mum but then strate away there will be a human there in most circumstance, when there hungry they will let you no e.g howling taping there food bowl same goes for goin outside then will stand at the door and wait for you to open it or they will let you no they want to go out , anouther example, i live at home with my parents and my dog 'expects' me to come home when he can hear my car pull up and when i lock my car its qwite louad, he will be there every day waiting for me at the door, my mum and dad have said they havent heard anythin and he will just get up and rush to the door and wait for me to walk in ... dogs do without doubt expect humans to help them threw there lives , wild dogs no they arnt used to human help but if food comes for free and with no catches they will come and feed from what you are giving them prime example a fox round near me will go to a few retrants and will paintenly wait outside where people eat untill they finsh and most off the time the humans will feed him ... he goes to about 4 restrants not because he is a domestic dog or animal but because he can get food for free and with no catches ... obvesly dogs and huskys inpoticular have there historic roots but dosnent eveny one and evrythin ? people and animals adapt to things wich makes there life easyer fact