Husky mouth sore

Skooby

Hi everybody I've got a 3 yr old Siberian husky and on his bottom lip at the side of his mouth there is a sore looks like a cold sore that people have but bigger it's not bothering him he's not trying to lick it or nothing but still I'd like to know what it could be or what I can put on it. It's right under where his main big teeth hit the lip as I say it looks exactly like a cold sore any information on this if possible will be much appreciated thanks Kevin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the vet do a skin scrape for analysis. It could be related to zinc deficiency; very common in Huskies. There is a supplement (can't remember the name) that is available in some pet supply stores, that provides added zinc to their diet. If it is zinc deficiency, vet may prescribe an ointment for the affected area along with a supplement.

Looks like ZRD or a contact allergy.

I agree about the contact allergy. Our Kayak use to get something similar to that and after time it would go away. He would mainly get these when chewing on thick sticks. What do the inner gum and teeth around the area look like?

56b40b34-f343-a614.jpg

This is a pic of the sore

It may be a condition called "Cheilitis which is inflammation of the lip. "IF" this is what it is, the treatment is to clean the lips daily using benzoyl peronxide shampoo (OxyDex or Pyoben) or hydrogen peroxide diluted 1:5 with water. Apply antibiotic steriod cream like "Neocort". This is just a thought of what it may be. Was there a "crust" over the area? Is it sensitive to touch?

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Ralf there's there's nothing on the inner lip it's normal it's just that outta part with the sore he don't seem bothered by it. And yes it was a bit crusty but that's gone it don't look no where near as bad as it was. I'm going to a pet superstore tomorrow for a few bits I need to get for him. Is there anything I can get from the store to rub in or spray on it? Thanks guys for your time much appreciated

Ralf there's there's nothing on the inner lip it's normal it's just that outta part with the sore he don't seem bothered by it. And yes it was a bit crusty but that's gone it don't look no where near as bad as it was. I'm going to a pet superstore tomorrow for a few bits I need to get for him. Is there anything I can get from the store to rub in or spray on it? Thanks guys for your time much appreciated

Hi Kevin,

If anything at the drug store or if your pet center carries any mild form of Cortisone you can see if that works. Only put a very thin layer on the area at least twice a day. If they carry the Neocort or something similar get that but otherwise try the cortisone(child strength, as with any over the counter meds you would use on Skooby) But I would suggest the hydrogen peroxide/water mix for sure to keep it clean if anything. Good luck and let us know the progress.

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Hi guys I've done some research on ZRD and found this from this site http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/zinc-deficiency.3746/

The husky has the exact same thing in one of the pictures and they say to use Zinc Gluconate which is expensive in the link they give on there but anything to clear this and prevent it thank god for this site. :)

Hi guys I've done some research on ZRD and found this from this site http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/zinc-deficiency.3746/

The husky has the exact same thing in one of the pictures and they say to use Zinc Gluconate which is expensive in the link they give on there but anything to clear this and prevent it thank god for this site. :)

Please confirm with your vet what it is before you start treatment. Usually if you go to the vet with an idea about what it is they wont charge you as much. I do love these forums and they are a great source of information but always go to a vet before doing anything. and let us know how it goes after! :P

Our exact belief, always consult with your Vet, before doing anything unless you have experienced this before yourself in the past. As for we have had reoccurences of different ailments and we track and record all that has ever been done medically to our Siberians but always having our Vet coming to our home before we react.

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Hi thanks ralf I'm gonna take him down Monday morning and explain what I think it is and hopefully they will treat it but it does look as if it's this ZRD and even if it ain't there's no reason why I couldnt start giving shadow a zinc supplement in his food? Thanks for your time :)

Hi thanks ralf I'm gonna take him down Monday morning and explain what I think it is and hopefully they will treat it but it does look as if it's this ZRD and even if it ain't there's no reason why I couldnt start giving shadow a zinc supplement in his food? Thanks for your time :)

You should NOT give your dog zinc before seeing your vet

I took this from a vet website I study from:

"Zinc, a heavy metal, is the 9th most common cause of dog poisonings in 2008. Zinc is necessary for a normal immune system, and the formation of red blood cells. Zinc helps maintain normal blood sugar levels in diabetic dogs, is used to treat skin conditions and to aid wound healing. Excess zinc levels can lead to pancreatitis, or toxicity. Zinc toxicity is usually seen in puppies that are known for eating everything in sight. Especially dangerous are pennies minted after 1982; zinc toxicity can result from the ingestion of only three pennies. When the copper coating of the penny is broken, the zinc core is rapidly absorbed into the dog’s system. Transport crates can have high zinc levels, and you should try to prevent your dog from licking or chewing on the wires. Signs of zinc toxicity are decreased appetite, diarrhea and vomiting, and weakness that can progress to kidney failure. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any natural or herbal supplements."

You should NOT give your dog zinc before seeing your vet

I took this from a vet website I study from:

"Zinc, a heavy metal, is the 9th most common cause of dog poisonings in 2008. Zinc is necessary for a normal immune system, and the formation of red blood cells. Zinc helps maintain normal blood sugar levels in diabetic dogs, is used to treat skin conditions and to aid wound healing. Excess zinc levels can lead to pancreatitis, or toxicity. Zinc toxicity is usually seen in puppies that are known for eating everything in sight. Especially dangerous are pennies minted after 1982; zinc toxicity can result from the ingestion of only three pennies. When the copper coating of the penny is broken, the zinc core is rapidly absorbed into the dog’s system. Transport crates can have high zinc levels, and you should try to prevent your dog from licking or chewing on the wires. Signs of zinc toxicity are decreased appetite, diarrhea and vomiting, and weakness that can progress to kidney failure. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any natural or herbal supplements."

Michelle, Thank you for the Zinc information. Always good to know that much more about what can hurt/harm your Siberian/Dog.

Husky Lovers in Vermont

my dog thorn gets this exactly where your dog has it .he sucks on his blanket and its worse then. took him to the vets gave him hibiscrub 10:1 water and scrub it on with cotton wool and it cleared it .so i keep some for when it flairs up ask your vet about it:) worked for thorn was all crusty but hibiscrub was good