Avast & File Hippo

Mistyrayn

wanna pick the tech / computer brains we have on here..

i run Norton security and have recently been advised to use Avast which apparently is a free download ..so im all for that rather than paying for it. but can anyone tell me more about it .. its advantages or disadvantages over Norton.. apparently Avast is the security to use.. but if its so good ..how come its a free download ?? how easy for a computer idiot like me to set up..

also it was mentioned about File Hippo.. can anyone tell me more about this ?? whats it for and how safe is it to use

I recently started to use Avast. I am pleased with it at the moment, but since I haven't been using it for long, can't say anything else. So far it has detected an infection from a USB flash drive (I blame my friend for that, he knew his computer was infected, but did not tell me this before I put my flash drive in his computer!).

I used to have Avira Antivirus (also free) installed on my computer, but I think Avast is more user friendly. On the other hand, I have had a couple of false positives so far. I think that for a newbie user, it's quite bad as it can freak you out for nothing. But I guess you can just set the detection rate lower.

I also had Norton (paid) on my computer a few years ago. I was picking up infections very often and it was crap at actually removing them, so I ended up formatting very often. I wasn't happy with it then, but it's been a few years and maybe they have improved their software since then.

Overall, I think it is a good software and very easy to set up. I am not sure whether I would choose it over paid software (but I would also not buy Norton), as those generally tend to offer a more complete solution.