10 reasons why you should crate train your Siberian Husky

1. Because housebreaking your puppy will be much easier! Cheyenne was a nightmare to housebreak. We tried everything (except the crate initally) and when we finally had enough of her climbing the gate to pee and then climbing back over to sleep... I broke down and gave the crate a try. Within a week i had a very much more reliable puppy! Although, not limited to puppies. Odin was an intact male for much of his life and probably spent most of his "first life" as an outdoor dog. Combined, you've got a snarky male who likes to mark things. Incorporating the crate and rewarding for elimination on appropriate things (trees, grass, shrubs) makes for a newly housebroken dog.

2. Because they get into EVERYTHING! Cheyenne and Mishka both had a horrible teething period. They wanted to eat everything and chew everything. Things that couldn't be put up (such as the couch or table.) Crating them while we were away got us safely through those stages. Huskies can get into everything/anything if they want to. And I've come home to quite a few disasters! Even though some things may seem harmless and just a puppies curiosity (such as going through the trash or rummaging in cabinets) they can also be potentially hazardous. An opened empty can can shred a dogs mouth, dangerous foods can be found in the garbage, and many chemicals can lurk in low cabinets. Crating them ensures safety for both your Siberian and your things!

3. Because crate training an adult is not as easy as a puppy! Crate training Odin was a miserable month and a half. For the majority of the night he would bark for a few minutes and then be silent. And then bark, and then be silent. Falling asleep wasn't easy! What normally takes a puppy about a week took us almost 2 months! With puppies they understand quickly that a temper tantrum will not get them out of the crate. Adult Huskies have a lot more "huskiness" to them and will really try and win that battle of wills!

4. Because at some point, you'll have to go somewhere without them! It's very very unusual for a dog over their whole lifetime to never need to be kenneled. Why cause the added stress of being put in a crate (which they have no knowledge or experience being in) on top of being left at a kennel. I see dogs all the time who quite literally go in a panic because they have no idea what's going on when they're dropped off and then put into a crate. Why cause your dog all that unnecessary stress in an already stressful place?

5. Because its easier to travel with them! Having a Siberian who is crate trained makes for a much happier traveling companion. No need to worry about them fussing over being left in a strange hotel room (and subjecting you to a potentially large property damage fee) or going camping and staying in the tent while you shower (tents are thin and easy to chew!) or bringing them to a pet event such as agility, obedience, or confirmation! They're in their crates and they're happy.

6. Because they need a place to call their own, too! As most of my dogs are older now, we don't use the crates as much. But when I do bring one out (for one reason or another) there's always a Husky in it! They LOVE their crates! And yes, they all started out as those screaming, crying, temper tantrum throwing, get-me-the-heck-out-of-here-now Huskies. They go in there to relax, sleep or get away from the commotion. When we have guests over I will often bring the crates out so they can retreat when they've had enough. They are denning animals, it's a natural behavior. It feels safe.

7. Because you never know what will happen! I have used my crates for so many medical related issues, it's unbelievable! dogs will often need crate rest or confinement after surgeries or if they're ill. Seamus was heart worm positive when he came to live with us. He was put through treatment and had to be crate rested while going through it. If he wasn't crate trained- that could have been one nasty situation! Imagine him freaking out and trashing around in his crate if he wasn't used to it. With the heart worms dying in his bloodstream from the treatment it could have really taken a toll on his body with him being so upset and restless! Rodeo is currently on 8 weeks of crate rest due to an issue with his spine. His crate rest is so strict he's only allowed out to use the bathroom. Any jerky jumping or running movements can put him right back where we started... Imagine how long it would take him to heal if he wasn't crate trained and enjoyed his crate. If anything this should be the most important reason. Because you never know what can happen to your dog.

8. Because its the safest way to bring about a new pack member or foster Husky! When any of my dogs have come to live with us they have always been immediately crate trained and spend most of their unsupervised time in the crate. Joining a new family can be stressful for both new and resident dogs. Each dog needs to be given its own space and time to adjust. The safest place for this to happen is in a crate. As stated before its a "safe place" and resident dogs can take sanctuary in the crate while the new dog gets comfortable. It's also a good idea to feed separately initially just so one transition at a time can happen. It's unfair on both new and resident dogs to make them eat in the same space as well as share the same place/people/attention all within the first few weeks. Time needs to be taken to successfully integrate the dogs together so everyone is comfortable and not stressed to the point of being over their threshold.

9. Because it can prevent separation anxiety! If I see anything as a general problem "behavior" with Huskies... it's separation anxiety. Giving a dog his own safe place is a great first step to having a comfortable confident dog. Dogs who have SA stress easily and rely heavily on human companionship. When you leave, you have a panicky dog who will often destroy items or engage in obsessive behavior which can be self destructive. They need to learn how to be confident dogs who are independent. Working with a SA dog on crate training can be very beneficial and often can help reduce the stress and anxiety on the dog or even eliminate it completely. We had a temporary dog with us for some time, her name was Jessy. She had SA bad and would sit on our couch and salivate/pant heavily all over the windows and eat the blinds when we left. She would often spend the first 20 minutes barking non stop. By the time she left us she was crate trained and would happily go in her crate when we left and we would return to a happy eager dog rather than a stressing mess. It took time and patience, but crate training her (and doing it the right way) got rid of her SA.

10. Because its not cruel. Giving the dog a safe place to either calm down, sleep, eat, relax, unwind, heal, or all of the above isn't a mean thing! I used to think crating a dog was so mean. And when Cheyenne was housebroken I took the crate away. She became so upset and would often mope through the house at night or after coming home from the dog park. She would usually settle for sleeping under the kitchen table. When I finally throught to bring the crate out she was elated (seriously!) and ran in there to pass out. Even Odin will sneak in there with a bone and go relax. All of my dogs "hated" the crate initially. But they can't hate it too much if it's basically now a race to get in there, right?

I feel spoiled when I read this. :P

Suka's not crate trained. I don't think he ever was - and we got him when he was 6 years old.

Suka doesn't have a problem except with the SA...and even then, he only ripped my window screen and tried to dig underneath the door to get out of the house and find us (and then jumped off the roof of a 2nd story house...). He didn't destroy anything else. Not even the subway wrapper I had out on my desk!

Someone is usually always home (my Mom's a stay-at-home Mom) and on the off-chance we all have to go out, we either find a dogsitter (we have a few favourites; cheap too!) or he stays in the car for an hour or so. He's very good in the car (lots of space, too. The space is large enough for 2 dogs to lie down comfortably!) and we take necessary action/precautions when it is too hot/cold out.

When Suka wants to be left alone, he either goes in the front hall and lies on the marble, or he goes upstairs and lies down at the top of the stairs.

Of course, I know that Suka's an oddity and any future dogs I'll have I know I'll have to crate train them. It just wasn't necessary with Suka.

EDIT: Although, there was a small problem when we stayed at a hotel while we were moving me in to University. (The drive was over 6 hours!)

One of us had to stay in the room and eat our food there while the rest ate where the guests are supposed to eat. It was okay, though, because we took turns.

That's the only situation where his SA has caused problems in the 2+ years that we've had him. And that's including the incident where we first discovered he had SA (the jumping-off-the-roof situation)

In addition to #7 with you never know what will happen. It makes it easier and greater potential for rescue if ever your house were to catch on fire. I know not a thought we ever want to think. But as a part time firefighter I can tell you fires are disorienting and loud and terrifying and animals often try to hide (in closets or under furniture) to escape from it but really it just seals their fate. Crated near an exit can increase the survival rate and keep rescuers safe as well. We look kinda scary all bunkered up.

Also #5 a friend of mine was in a bad car accident. If her dogs hadn't been crated they would have been killed in the accident. Or worse escaped onto the freeway! She changed my mind about traveling with uncontained animals in my car!

While crate training may not seem necessary it's still good to have them familiar with the concept and omfortable with it... For the reasons listed. You never know when you'll need it. To outright brandish it as cruel and not useful ( or just not find it necessary) I find silly because quite honestly at this point I don't know what I'd do without mine!

After having a chocolate labrador over for a few weeks who wasn't used to sleeping in his crate at night I can confidently say I will NEVER ever have a dog that free roams at night. I know some people think it's cute to wake up rediculously early with a big wet nose on your face every morning without fail but not meeee! Nightmare! Kiska's perfect with her crate, she loves being in there.

I feel spoiled when I read this. :P

Suka's not crate trained.

quote]

erm yeh im with you on that ..im lucky that i only had one incident of chewing .. maybe if i had of had more i may have looked at it differently.

1. Because housebreaking your puppy will be much easier

IMO i dissagree. my Tikaani i have had since puppy and have never crated her . Nikita i got at 3 yrs and Macie at 8 months and now Cheya at 3 yrs and have not used a crate in any way. apart from for transport reasons.

#2 i had one little bit of chewing out of Tikaani but then i made sure she had plenty of things around that she was allowed to chew.

yeh i can agree and totally understand reason 7

#8 i disagree with being the safest way .. i have 3 rescues and have never felt the need to seperate or crate..

mine dont have free roam of the house only the downstairs stopped by stairgates and when going to bed they are in bedroom with me and stair gate stops exit from room.. but to be honest the lay at side of the bed and dont move till either i get up or my alarm goes off. thats not something i have installed or trained them to do.. it just seems to have happened with Tikaani and Nikita and then Macie & now Cheya just seem to have followed suit.

me personally .i dont like crating dogs while you are out. i beleive they should have room to move around and play and interact. if the be safe room or outside kennel.. i know a lot do crate but just my personal preference is that i wouldnt ..except for a medical reason or for transportation. which is actually a big hate of mine ..people that transport animals loose in a car etc.

and Hy'Shqa theres nothing more loving than a wet husky nose early in the morning :lolman:

I know everyone has different opinions on crating but I am a convert! I was like you...didn't want to crate, let them have th room etc...then teeko got into a chewy stage and it wasn't safe for him to have free roam of the kitchen (his room) for fear of choking hazards (he had a thing for our wooden dining furniture!) or getting into somethinng he shouldn't (i had an intense fear he'd get into the cleaning supplies....even though they're stored in a high cupboard with a child lock! Paranoia....yes!). We crated him until past the teething stage then let him have free roam again. Annd.......the funny little thing hated it! Wanted his crate back! When we put a crate back in the kitchen for new puppy's arrival...he hopped in it smartly, lying down for his treat everytime we went out.

Teeko still has the kictchen as we had to crate the little one for her safety (she also loves her crate! Who knew?! Lol!)...but he will sometimes hop into the crate with her and snuggle up. We ended up having to get him one of those big plastic beds for under the table so he could have some feeling of being enclosed. (our kitchen can't comfortably accomodate 2 big crates lol)

So yeps....totally understand where you're coming from...but as a convert, its definitely one of those cases of 'don't knock it till you try it!'. Both mine love the crate (but only the little one gets the privelidge after finding her on the welsh dresser one day!)

I have a small house and a lot of furniture. I used to have a crate when Kismet was a puppy , but as she got bigger and the crate got bigger we had to phase it out. She sleeps next to my bed with me.

When we camp I have a canvas tent without a fitted ground sheet and she is tethered on her tie out line inside the tent, she has a soft crate as her camping bed as well, but she prefers to sleep beside my bed. I can leave her to go for a shower no problem as long as people understand the howling tent. :) But even in a crate the tent would howl :) When we stay in a hotel or at a friends house, she is happy on the floor beside whatever bed I am in. At home when I go out she goes out into the garden. I have a secure garden with a high fence and she has access into the conservatory with her bed under the conservatory table.

Would she cope in a kennels? I don't know. Hopefully we wont ever have to find out. Whenever I have been on holiday I have had a pet sitter who sleeps in my bed with Kismet beside them.

Perhaps if my house was larger I would have a crate. But it isn't so we work with what we have.