Amazing Canadian Offer on Kick-Sled!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FOLDING-WOODEN-SNOW-DOG-SLED-/300644641902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item45ffd12c6e

This is the guy I got my sled from last year and paid $192 CAD when he was trying to sell for $240. Selling for $189 with free shipping OBO!!! O_O Amazing deal! Great for someone looking to get into the sport.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

folding :o

what on earth happens if it folds while out running...sod that for a game of soldiors! no drag mat either and no bushbow plus the front edges arent rounded off enough so if an accident happened likelyhood of injury to dog is higher and worse. looks more like a childs sled and to market for more money they've added a line with no bungee to try and sell to dog owners.

Looks more like an item which should be sold for about £50 in a childs retail store

folding :eek: what on earth happens if it folds while out running...sod that for a game of soldiors! no drag mat either and no bushbow plus the front edges arent rounded off enough so if an accident happened likelyhood of injury to dog is higher and worse. looks more like a childs sled and to market for more money they've added a line with no bungee to try and sell to dog owners. Looks more like an item which should be sold for about £50 in a childs retail store

I don't know if you know much about kick sleds, this is the standard for most of the ones I've seen. Kick sleds were made for people to propel themselves, hence "kick" sled, but they can double as a dog sled. There's the rare few that have a brush bow but they are usually a lot more expensive and harder to find. Adding a brush bow to the kick sled would be easy and more cost efficient than buying one that's almost the same in design with a bow for almost double the money. As for the brake, it's nice that they included one, I've seen a lot of sleds where they come with nothing and you have to purchase your brake separately (if buying at the same time, the company will usually install for free). A brake is usually included if you are buying a high quality sled, most first timers will not be looking to spend much encase it doesn't work out.

Some examples of other kick sleds:

post-8679-0-07303600-1373722500_thumb.jp

Arctic kick sled. No brake included.

post-95-13737225332877_thumb.jpg

Maine made kick sled (Costs more and looks a lot less sturdy) Only plus to this one is that it has foot boards, something that my kick sled lacks but could be easily fixed. This model folds as well, it doesn't look like much is holding it up. No brake included, can purchase when ordering. Their brakes aren't good looking, better off to make your own.

post-95-13737225016705_thumb.jpg

Maine made child passenger kick sled. No brake included.

post-8679-0-84921500-1373722502_thumb.jp

Komatik kick sled, folds as well. No brake included.

post-8679-0-32184100-1373722691_thumb.jp

Yukon kick sled

post-8679-0-94264300-1373722824_thumb.jp

Here's one that I found, took quite a few minutes of looking to find. This sled folds as well. No brake included.

Kick sleds are convenient, for people that don't have many dogs who want to enjoy the sport, and for people that don't have a huge truck for a bigger sled. I had no problem fitting the kick sled into my tiny little pontiac wave hatchback and my dogs. It barely fit, good thing it did or I wouldn't have had any way to transport it to the park last year when I used it. I lived in the city and I couldn't sled anywhere around me so if it wasn't for a kick sled, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the sport which is depressing to think about.

I'll include pictures of my sled at the bottom to show off some of my points.

Now, back to the sled to counter anything you said about it. The price is awesome! It's sturdy wood, this thing weighs as much as my basket sled that I recently bought. There's no chance of it folding in on you, has one of the most secure folding methods on any kick sled I've seen to date. The brake sucks, can be easily altered, someone suggested to me last year to weld a 4" plate of metal to the existing brake and it'd easily stop two dogs (talking from friend's experience with same brake design). As for the drag mat, make one, usually you can find someone throwing away a snowmobile track that's busted up, cut a piece of it from the track and attach it to the sled with rope or a bungee set-up. My basket sled did not come with one, but I got a track for free and I'm hacking it up :3 Runners do not have plastics, instead they have a tiny half inch strip of teflon, makes sliding harder since there's a lot more friction on the skis which is good if you're concerned about slamming into your dogs. If you think that is a bad point, well, they can be altered, see!

post-8679-0-42964200-1373722853_thumb.jp

Looks like that person as altered the exact same sled with screw on plastics.

post-8679-0-83560200-1373722858_thumb.jp

Another shot, couple of the same sleds, both with some alterations. Popular sled, can you tell?

They did not throw on the rope to make it appeal to dog mushers, it's a rope for the parents to pull their child while they sit on the sled ._.

post-8679-0-60095900-1373722865_thumb.jp

Look familiar?

Anyone that uses the sled for mushing has changed the rope because it's not meant to be attached to your dogs. It's not a gangline it's a pull rope. As for the bungee, I have yet to see a sled that has lines included with it for no extra charge. You buy your shock absorber or a line that has one built in. Bungees/shock absorbers are a preference, there's a lot of professional mushers that don't even use a shock absorber.

post-8679-0-11566400-1373722983_thumb.jp

My gangline with built in bungee purchased from pawtrek.

Bottom line, don't knock the sled, it's an awesome starter sled. I wouldn't want anyone to be turned away because of the negatives listed when in most cases, this sled is the same if not better than most of the ones shown above. Dogs can get hurt on any sled, it doesn't matter how amazing the sled is, it's up to the musher to keep their dogs safe at all times. I've run my kick sled with my two doggies and had no problems what so ever because I've done my research on sleds and know a thing or two on how to make sure it's a fun experience for everyone involved. My dogs are ECSTATIC when they see the sled coming out, as am I 8D

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has about the sled if they were interested in purchasing one.

Now for the pics of my sled!! <3

post-8679-0-76888100-1373722883_thumb.jp

Standing tall!

post-8679-0-28335300-1373722871_thumb.jp

Folded

post-8679-0-03888000-1373722878_thumb.jp

Showing the four bolts that hold it upright. Not small bolts.

post-8679-0-88620400-1373722895_thumb.jp

The runners, not the best in the world but better than full on wood, slides fairly well for what it is.

post-8679-0-61897600-1373722889_thumb.jp

How I altered the hook-up. Very safe and pretty standard.

I love how my living room is the dog room >_< Kick sled, basket sled, and my pawtrek XD;; Dog powered sports obsessed much?!

post-2930-13586009839143_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009839566_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009839899_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009841415_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009841953_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009842787_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009843276_thumb.jpg

post-2930-1358600984365_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009844005_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009844383_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009844699_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009845006_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009845407_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009845727_thumb.jpg

post-2930-13586009846056_thumb.jpg

Wish we had enough snow to warrant the purchase of one...for those couple of days a year it is just not worth it. Would be fun with my 2 tho, going to do some shopping for example lol

We usually have snow by now, but we only got 2cms yesterday, it's depressing. I want to put my new sled to use already!

I've seen a picture where someone took a kick sled and turned it into a kick sled with wheels! XD;

post-8679-0-34932100-1373722991_thumb.jp

And here's even a video! Haha, the guy doesn't seem too happy in it.

ZBA5l1_0y28

Now that to me DOESN'T seem safe, no kind of braking mechanism and that could potentially get going really fast. I'll stick to my pawtrek, it's awesome.

post-2930-13586009846364_thumb.jpg

good luck i wouldnt consider it EVER. looks a disaster waiting to happen. Kick sleds were origionally designed for humans only to have fun, not for working your dogs

i think the only use it has is to use it at a rally to get from your van to the toilet!

I know, I stated that in my post above, didn't you read that? FTR I don't think you read majority of anything I posted, read before posting because it only makes yourself look bad. Only thing you're saying that doesn't make it safe is the front, someone could put a bow on that for next to nothing! Drag mat can be acquired for free. You're argument is invalid imo

I'd like for you to keep your opinion to yourself if you are going to be so rude in the matter. I posted this thread for people that would be interested in a good deal if they wanted to try the sport. If you do not like the idea of kick sleds then keep it to yourself and don't try to ruin it for the others that might be interested.

if you look at my signature on my origional post that will answer your question.

I find that it's no more hazardous than dryland running. Accidents can happen working them on anything, even walking them poses a danger if they were to get off their lead, or even just by having the leash slack and they jump in front of a car.

All the worries that you have associated with the sled can be fixed as well, like I mentioned, if someone was worried of hurting their dog. Judging from all the people that use kick sleds, I think it's pretty safe, pretty safe from my experiences as well.

pmsl so if you need to 'fix the item before its safe...then you have said yourself its not fit for purpose.

well i've said what i wanted, and i hope some folk realise that picking up what seems to be a 'cheaper' option isnt advisable. its cheaper for a reason and for one i wont use 'cheaper' options when it comes to mine and my dogs safety.

happy trails

I found this one, it looks alot more modern but twice as much. I know I will have one one day even if it means moving to Scotland:)

http://www.tufftrail.co.uk/speedy_sleds?b=1

Little pricey but depends on a person's tastes. Kind of looks like two skis with a handle and chords, funky looking for sure. I like the old traditional look to sleds, wooden stuff, though I do like the aluminum toboggan sleds.

pmsl so if you need to 'fix the item before its safe...then you have said yourself its not fit for purpose.

well i've said what i wanted, and i hope some folk realise that picking up what seems to be a 'cheaper' option isnt advisable. its cheaper for a reason and for one i wont use 'cheaper' options when it comes to mine and my dogs safety.

happy trails

No, I said if you have problems with it, it worked perfectly fine for my dogs. Some people's wallets are limited, hence the post. *Shakes head* Apparently you have no problem with money so that's perfectly fine for you to buy more expensive gear.

I would never put the safety of my dogs at risk, I LOVE my dogs. I spoil them completely and utterly rotten! I'm lucky because I have some money I can play with so I bought a better set-up, I never said it was the best set-up, but it is a good solid sled for someone wanting to start out and see if it is for them.

my wallet is most defo limited like many other peoples, but i go on the belief that if i cant buy whats safe for me and my dogs then i go without and save up (or continue to do without).

If an item such as a rig, scooter or rig wont pass scrutineering (which this 'sled' wouldnt) then that instantly informs me its not of safe standard for the purpose of working dogs. thats not my opinion thats fact. scrutineering is there for the safety of the dogs.