The danger of Xylitol

Not too long ago, I found out about the danger of Xylitol, an artificial sweetener and what it can do to dogs. As a sugarfree gum chewer , I have made sure to be extremely careful! Well, my boyfriend had a pack himself and I locked it away before I left for work today. I have stressed to him over and over that it is dangerous and never to leave it out. Well, came home from work today, there was a shredded pack of gum on my bed.. all pieces were gone, so Echo ate about 12-14 pieces of gum, that contained Xylitol. Let's just say I was not thrilled and I was quite angry at the carelessness. Something that could have easily been avoided. She was her normal, hyper self, but I put a call into the vet to see what I needed to do. It had been too long to induce vomiting, so I brought her in. They checked her blood sugar, which had dropped, and also took her temperature, which was a little high (but I'm hoping it was just from the excited hyperactivity at the vet) and they gave her a charcoal treatment. They said that she should be fine, but just to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't become lethargic, doesn't have glassy eyes, siezing, etc. So far, so good. Although I more than likely would have looked something up on the internet, I'm glad I was already recently educated on the danger of Xylitol and took immediate action... no matter how normal your dog acts when injesting something like that, it's better safe than sorry.. I could have lost her had I not acted quick, despite the fact she was still feeling herself by that point. Just so glad she is ok and I got to her quick enough, and hope it was quick enough that nothing goes wrong with her liver. The vet seemed to think she would be in the clear though. And I wanted to share also to those who may not know the dangers, as I didn't not too long ago, and that Xylitol is found in many things we consume and it is lethal, even in small amounts. Here's an article I found with more information about it.

Xylitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute that’s helped diabetics and weight loss seekers get their sugar fix––in spite of dietary restrictions. And, just like chocolate and grapes, it’s natural, further disproving the claim that “natural is always safe.â€Â

That’s because Xylitol, a sugar compound sourced from the Birch tree, has been recently discovered to be 100 percent lethal to dogs. In many cases, the quantity of Xylitol-containing food was small––as in a box of sugar-free Tic-Tacs (really), a Jell-O sugar free pudding snack or one sugar-free cupcake.

With Xylitol poisoning the most obvious sign is seizuring...as your dog's blood sugar levels plummet. Should she survive this phase, liver toxicity and clotting problems often result.

As if that wasn't enough to strike fear into the heart of any dog lover, the additional danger in Xylitol is three-fold:

1. Only small quantities are needed to do serious damage

2. Xylitol is found in an increasing number of consumer products and foodstuffs (kid’s vitamins, mints, gums, toothpaste, sugar-free baked goods, etc.)

3. Most dog owners don’t yet know about it

As a veterinarian, the latter hazard seems most pressing to me. After all, if you have no idea that Starbucks mints contain Xylitol, you won’t be so careful about where you leave your purse. If you don’t know that a sugar-free cupcake contains it, you might not think twice about throwing a stale one your dogs’ way––or leaving the box on the counter.

Not until your dog starts seizuring, as her blood sugar drops, will you begin to wonder what could have led to her physiological free-fall.

This is really scary stuff. More so because many veterinarians are still in the dark about Xylitol, its effects and its prevalence. A seizuring dog? Could be from anything. Unless you’re asked about specific food poisons, you might not think to check if your gum is still in your pocket. You might have forgotten about the pastry, stressed out as you now are.

Which begs the question: Should these products be labeled “unsafe for canine consumption�

Though I’d like that to be the case, it’s not happening anytime soon. After all, chocolates and grapes don’t host warning labels. Because ultimately, it’s up to YOU to know better. And now you do.

Spread the word among your dog-loving friends. Read your labels. Don’t buy these products unless you truly need them in your diet (until they switch to another sweetener choice). Inform your family. And, if you choose to use these products, be very careful where you leave them.

Finally, feel free to lobby your local Starbucks to substitute Xylitol for safer sweeteners in their mints and gums. Tell Flintstone’s their vitamins need not contain it. Send out emails to companies who use Xylitol in their product lines. For those of you willing to get in on the act and save a few dogs’ lives, here’s a list of the consumer products that currently contain Xylitol. Make YOUR voice heard.

lovemysiberian

Just made this a "Sticky" so it will appear in the first few items always at the top of the health section.

Well done great post. :)

This is a great post. Sorry you had to experience this first hand. Have you given your boyfriend a dope slap yet? I'm not proposing violence, but hope he learned from this and there are no repeats.

Hey,I am really concerned about a product I have in my cupboard called"Vet Aquadent"an anti-plaque solution for adding to drinking water of cats and dogs. One of the ingredients is xylitol.It is made by a company called Virbac.

I have added this solution to the pets drinking water in the past,although not frequently and only a small amount at a time.I purchased this on-line when buying pet meds,it is also on sale at my local vets.

I am presuming that the discovery of xylitol being toxic to dogs is very recent,therefore hoping these products are in the process of being withdrawn.

To enable me to personally take this up with manufacturers/suppliers,please could you give me further info as to the report and evidence of toxicity to dogs,which I could quote? Anything that could help wpuld be great.

Has this originated in the US?

I have heard reports of artificial sweeteners being carcinogenic and harmful to humans,and they are contained in more products than people realise.

Hey,I am really concerned about a product I have in my cupboard called"Vet Aquadent"an anti-plaque solution for adding to drinking water of cats and dogs. One of the ingredients is xylitol.It is made by a company called Virbac.

I have added this solution to the pets drinking water in the past,although not frequently and only a small amount at a time.I purchased this on-line when buying pet meds,it is also on sale at my local vets.

I am presuming that the discovery of xylitol being toxic to dogs is very recent,therefore hoping these products are in the process of being withdrawn.

To enable me to personally take this up with manufacturers/suppliers,please could you give me further info as to the report and evidence of toxicity to dogs,which I could quote? Anything that could help wpuld be great.

Has this originated in the US?

I have heard reports of artificial sweeteners being carcinogenic and harmful to humans,and they are contained in more products than people realise.

I just read that the Xylitol in pet mouthwashes is non-toxic amounts, however, I would definetly check in with your vet about it, just to be sure!

Thanks everyone, she is very much like herself today, didn't seem to phase her. As for my boyfriend, it's hard for him to show emotions, but he seemed to get a little anxious when I was complaining about the gum being left out and the consequences and how things could have been worse.. I think he felt a bit guilty, just not openly. I'm sure he will listen to me (at least when it comes to stuff pertaining to Echo, lol) from now on.

sutsibe , thanks for the tip! I will definetly look into getting her some milk thistle. What kind of store would I find it, grocery store, pharmacy?

Thanks so much! I knew that gum was bad for dogs, that it contained something with an x that was toxic to them, warned bf when we got Kira about it. I never knew it was Xylitol >_< That stuff is in everything! D: Will be watching out for it now that I know what the "x" word was. Thanks ^^

I just read that the Xylitol in pet mouthwashes is non-toxic amounts, however, I would definetly check in with your vet about it, just to be sure!

Thanks everyone, she is very much like herself today, didn't seem to phase her. As for my boyfriend, it's hard for him to show emotions, but he seemed to get a little anxious when I was complaining about the gum being left out and the consequences and how things could have been worse.. I think he felt a bit guilty, just not openly. I'm sure he will listen to me (at least when it comes to stuff pertaining to Echo, lol) from now on.

sutsibe , thanks for the tip! I will definetly look into getting her some milk thistle. What kind of store would I find it, grocery store, pharmacy?

Yes I will speak to my vet who is great for some good advice.

If it is harmful,then it shouldn't be used at all,even in small doses.

In a few years we will probably hear that it causes problems in humans too with long term use!

Glad your girl is ok ,there is nothing worse than worrying that your dog has ingested something and waiting to see if they pull through ok.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...