New bitch pack member wanted

Timbaboy

Hey all im ben i have a 4 month old sibe timba who is currently in light training for racing, my dad use 2 race my 2 previous huskys about 7 yrs ago ,and i really want to get into it, im looking for one or possibly 2 bitches to join my team, the girl(S) which i buy or rehome will also be family pets as we absolutly love animals, please get back to me if any of you guys find some huskys fit for family pets and running, a great home is assured. must be good with children & dogs but not essential that they are trained as i am patient with that lol, any age considerd thanks again Ben & Timba please dnt hesitate to contact me on 07912020936 anytime or email @ Ben_wagstaff@hotmail.co.uk thanks again.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any at the moment, but will keep my ears out for you.

Are you going to any of the races this season?

Thanks and yes definatly elvedon and sherwood forest, and hopefully which ever other ones i can get to because the more people you speek to when your at the races, you just get so much help and advice from them its brill.

he dosent pull anything lol just at the side of the bike i have to stop him after 15 mins because otherwise he would run forever and kill himself

Hiya, I think even thats too much for a 4 month old dog. The rule is 5 minutes for each month of the dogs age, so for a 4 month old, that should be 20 minutes a day, so I would suggest that would be broken down into a couple of 10 minute walks, not runs. Please listen to Terry's advice, and take your time, it would be awful to injure the dog so young.

he dosent pull anything lol just at the side of the bike i have to stop him after 15 mins because otherwise he would run forever and kill himself

I wouldn't have him on the bike at 4 months - i've only just put Kaiser on a bike and he's nearly 8 months and even then he runs for 5 mins max

What you don't want to happen is for you both to put all this effort in and then when he's old enough to race and pull, you find he can't as his joints have been damaged due to being over exerted early on :(

2 years???? Cause u can saz....scooter class this year!!! I'm running a two dog and one in scooter or a three dog depending on how my newest pack member is doing by the start of the season.....will deff be at sherwood thats my training area!

after looking into it sherwood will be my closest training camp when can you go there and whats the best way to get started there? thanks ben

Please listen to what people are saying, STOP training your pup he is far to young and if you damage him you would never forgive yourself,

There are a lot of experianced people on here and they do know what they are saying, As a rescue worker and breeder I would NEVER let you have a dog if I thought that was how you are going to treat it,

Please don't ignore the advise, we have had Sibes for 16 years now and am shocked the way people over train young dogs and then wonder why at a young age these dogs are burn't out,

Terry

Seriously at 4 months old Isis wasnt doing anything like that - she was just out for several short walks a day, and a good play in the garden with the kids. She Nearly 9 months now and has only just started going out on short 5-10min runs a day along side me (Not pulling)!

didn't realise u had starting training already....i agree with everyone else 4 months is way too young, even to be running along side a bike.....a short ten minute walk a couple of times each day is more than enough! Enjoy some play puppy time with him he'll be grown up and ready to train before u know it so enjoy the play puppy time when you can!

Thanks every one advice taken! i feel really bad now! every one else ive spoke to seem to think what i was doing is fine. there obnviously wrong. im so glad i came on here now, its just he seems to love to jog thats all si i assumed a littke wouldnt hurt him but thanks for the advice ill stick to walking. thanks again ben

yea he needs time to grow and develop into a dog before he starts running.....ten months at the earliest to start training him....doesnt stop u from starting on things like commands.....on ure little walks u can always teach him haw and gee!! Just stick to walking! Come along to a few rallies, u'll meet ppl who will b more than happy to talk huskies all day and night long....enjoy him as a puppy for now once he grows the puppy days are gone forever!!!

Thanks every one advice taken! i feel really bad now! every one else ive spoke to seem to think what i was doing is fine. there obnviously wrong. im so glad i came on here now, its just he seems to love to jog thats all si i assumed a littke wouldnt hurt him but thanks for the advice ill stick to walking. thanks again ben

no need to feel bad, i didn't know at first - you never know unless you ask :) Everyone makes mistake but as long as we learn from them, then they are good mistakes to make :)

Hope we see you at some of the rallies, would love to meet Timba :)

Agree with whats been said so far ;)

We don't start any sort of pulling training till at least double his age, and even then, its very short, flat distances with experienced older dogs doing the work alongside them.

One thing you CAN do while hes so young is to start teaching him his commands on a lead. No harm in teaching him 'Gee' 'Haw' and 'on-by' while hes walking, which will give him a head start when he is old enough to start learning the fine art of mushing :cool:

Certainly get yourself out and about over the coming months and chat to people as you'll gain a wealth of information.