GSDs? :)

miguel

Tao is so beautiful - I just want to hug him!

He would hug you like he does me. He gets his two front paws on my shoulders and pins me into the reclining chair. Then gives my face a good wash. He did the same to my sister when she paid me a visit.:doglaugh:..........Ron

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would hug you like he does me. He gets his two front paws on my shoulders and pins me into the reclining chair. Then gives my face a good wash. He did the same to my sister when she paid me a visit.:doglaugh:..........Ron

Storm does the same to me when I come home from work lol

Yeah, I'm especially worried about HD....especially because (if things go well with my parents) we'd be getting one from the humane society...so we wouldn't know if she came from a good breeder or not.

I heard there are other health problems...like a higher risk of cancers, tumours, and eye problems...but that might also be related to poor breeding as well?

the other condition GSD's have frequently is an enlarged heart, can be treated very well with medication etc.(this is the condition Jake had)

[ATTACH=full]31862[/ATTACH]

Does it go away with the medication, or is it a chronic condition where they'd have to be on the medication their whole lives? Is this due to poor breeding again, or is it just a fault in the breed itself?

It does not go away need to stay on meds for ever. I was told by my vet that is is a fault that GSD's have a lot at the time he had about 25 GSD's in his practice and 1/3 had this condition.

Everyone talking about bad health issues unfortunately all breeds have heath issues and gsd are a large breed so will be prone to them. Tia had bad legs as she got older but both her parents, grandparents and so on had 0/0 scores which is the best. Hollie dad had 0/0 and her mum 5/5 which is still really good so it all depends on the dog. I never had any health issues with tia till she got a cyst and spayed then she starting getting ill.

I was lucky with my Jake, he had no health issues what so ever, he passed away in May this year at the grand old age of 13 :( he was great with everyone, even strangers, unless I just tweeked his collar with my hand then he would guard me with his life

My brother has a GSD and he doesnt put any training effort into him but hes a real sweetheart ^.^ you definitly have to be the Alpha with that kind of dog. Sometimes it depends on the parents personality becasue Ive seen aggressive GSD's to cuddly love bugs :P They are very loyal too which is nice and smart

• 2 weeks later...

we have a gsd pup of 9 mths our husky bella was great with him but previous we had max (RIP big man ) gsd who we had to the ripe old age of 14 he was brillent with the children and loved a tummy tickle, but would let ppl know he was there when the door went he even had the police scared to come into the house when we had an attemped break in but the man in question had to go to hospital first as max didnt want him to come in as he didnt live in our family pack lol we love huskys and gsd we would be lost without them :grouphug:

I grew up in a small(100-400 person) village/town and almost everyone had a GSD. There was a lot of bad incidents that happened around home as I call it, that if you saw a GSD you went the other way no questions asked. Seems a lot of them were curious and escaped from their yards, most of the time they got out to find their owner who had left to go visit a friend. But when they got out of their yards, they attacked a few children at the playground without provocation. So with the right amount of socialization, im sure a GSD could make a wonderful dog. One thing to know is there are all different builds of GSDs, some are Husky like an others are built almost like St.Bernards(big boned).