husky with floppy ears?

murdoc

I have a 9 month old purebred husky that still has floppy ears. I was wondering if anyone else had/has or know of anyone that had a husky with floppy ears? I have AKC papers saying he's purebred. I saw both of his parents and they're both purebreds with erect ears. I asked my veterinarian about his ears and she said it's up to dog if they want to erect their ears or not so I shouldn't worry to much about it. But.. I can't help but be curious about his ears?!:(

post-6383-13586003701816_thumb.jpg

I have a 9 month old purebred husky that still has floppy ears. I was wondering if anyone else had/has or know of anyone that had a husky with floppy ears? I have AKC papers saying he's purebred. I saw both of his parents and they're both purebreds with erect ears. I asked my veterinarian about his ears and she said it's up to dog if they want to erect their ears or not so I shouldn't worry to much about it. But.. I can't help but be curious about his ears?!:(

are they permanantly floppy?

On the sutton park meet recently, there was a malamute that had floppy ears when he was in a relaxed mood, or when he was being lazy :P

Hmm that's really interesting. Were they messed with alot while he was younger? I know if you mess with them alot when they are younger they can stay floppy as the cartilage is really soft then and you can mess up the ears if you toy with them to much. Definitely a gorgeous boy though

Thank you :)

I believe his ears are permanently floppy. I read a lot of stuff online saying husky's ears are suppose to erect at a certain age? I know huskies aren't fully grown until the age of 2 so there's still hope? But thank you for the replies!

Hmm that's really interesting. Were they messed with alot while he was younger? I know if you mess with them alot when they are younger they can stay floppy as the cartilage is really soft then and you can mess up the ears if you toy with them to much. Definitely a gorgeous boy though

I don't believe they were. I had him since he was 7 weeks old unless they were messed up prior to me having him.

Marius's have been erect since he was born this is him at 3 days old

Willow_1male3days1Marius.jpg

2 weeks

Willow_1male2wks1.jpg

3.5 weeks

Willow_1male35wks2.jpg

and 6 weeks

Willow_1male6wks5.jpg

They have never been floppy :P but the same breeder I got him from has puppies that do tend to have floppy ears but only until they are about 4 weeks havnt seen it past that.

Aspen_2male.3wks.5.jpgAspen_1male.3wks.3.jpg

There are different things that can attribute to it. It could be weak cartilage if you played with them too much when your dog was younger. This happens sometimes in german shepherds too and sometimes its just bad breeding (if they never come up) the ears are too big and cannot stand up on their own. Could also be a calcium deficieny and/or bad diet. Tho there is hope because some ears dont pop up until they are 12 months old. You could try taping them but if you dont do it properly they could end up all kinds of messed up :P and i would wait until yous dogs a year old to do that anyways or you could go to the vet and ask about it and the calcium thing

Yanky's weren't erect until almost 6 months. His keeper at time kinda "helped out" by brushing egg onto his ears. A tradional Moroccan folk-remedy apparently ;) . Prior to that they were semi-erect, kinda floppy only from the middle ear, with the base erect. Are Murdoc's ears always in the same position as in the picture, or do they change a little throughout the day, based on his attention/mood?

His ears change a little throughout the day. When he's happy, his ears are erect or slightly erect for a couple minutes and then they go back down. When he's lying down on his side, his ears are erect. Other than that, his ears are normally down. When I am taking him out for walks or to PetsMart, his ears are sometimes erect with the tip down.

My guess is that they will stay floppy if they have not gone up by 9 months of age. I remember seeing something interesting on a breeder's website one time. This particular breeder had a floppy eared malamute and bred it. Apparently, the floppy ears were passed to the puppies. Since this was not a desirable trait, she never bred the malamute again. I don't know if this is an inherited trait or not, I'd just thought I would mention it. It's interesting that both of your pups parents have erect ears.

Personally, I think your Husky is GORGEOUS! :D

That's a little old I think for the ears to not be erect but I have no experience with sibes. With GSDs however, anytime there was a pup with reluctant ears.. the remedy was more chewing. Giving them bully sticks or something similar. I guess it helps work the muscles that help the ears to stand? Either that or taping, which is more of a pita than it's worth if ya ask me. :)

• 9 years later...

Hi I’m new here, I also have a almost 9 month old male Siberian Husky and his ears are also floppy I have a 2 year old female Siberian Husky and her ears are fully up,  But I was also told and I also read that it could take up to a year before the ears actually go up & dogs grow at their own pace.. I am hoping his ears go up he’s a real heart breaker too!!