My dog has bitten

HazCad

I have had 2 bites at 2 diff times to my hand, first time Juno was in her crate, I leave the door open so she can have free walk in or out, but she had taken a new band for tennis with her in the crate, when I got on my hands and knees to reach in, I should have seen but didnt and got my hand pretty darn good, then one other time she was laying next to my bed and had a rubber dog bone of hers and I went to make her get out of my room since I was leaving to work, she got my hand again, , so since then I have taken all toys away from her, I work every night with her for 20 min and show her a toy, let her take it, but I hold on to it, make her drop or leave it, then repeat over n over, then thats it for the night, I always tell her good girl, I really make sure I over do the good girl part, also I keep a drop leash on her so she can drag it around the house but if I need to correct her the leash is always in reach, and I can make her sit and stay until I get her the ok. Oh and I have found if I put my hand open like so I can scratch her under her chin and not on top of her head she is more calm, but if I put the hand on top of her head she is unsure, and you can tell she dont care for that, she is so good with all toys or whatever she has she now brings everything to me and if I fall asleep I'll awake with toys all around me, I always thank her for bringing My toys back to me and always make a big deal about it, by the way , I got Juno from a foster care for sibs, she was transfered from a shelter in Michigan to Ohio and this was her last hope, all dogs can be trained but you really have to show that you are the leader in the pack and less freedom until the dog understands the pack leader is the boss. Now Juno is my shadow, everywhere I walk she is right behind me, and I can even go part way into her crate while she is in there and I just say good girl over and over, still to this day. sorry so long but I felt like I had gone thru the same problem as you and hate to see any dog PTS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a word or two about rescues.

1/ The rescue that PTS a dog that was returned was Battersea. They will PTS any dog at the drop of a hat. Don't attempt to take him to Battersea.

2/ The breed specific husky rescues appear to use fosterers and not kennels.

3/ The breed specific rescues have fosterers who have great experience with the breed and problems like this.

4/ There are homes out there that can cope with these issues. If I had room I'd be more than happy to take him on!

Meanwhile I am enquiring around my other doggy contacts to see if I can find some help for you. (ie experienced fosterer or permanent home)

Honestly, from my point of view you shouldn't be considering to rehome him, especially when on this occassion you even said that you "stupidly" decided to stroke him. You know he can be funny with food. You held food infront of him and then invaded into his space to stroke him.

Yes, he shouldn't behave in that way, but he's in the process of learning and you have even recognised it as your own mistake.

Save the money and go see a professional. Also read a book called "Click to calm - healing the aggressive dog".

Stacey xxx

So far I've received an offer from someone to take him in mid Jan - they're in Norfolk, but I'm sure we could organise a transport run. Any chance of sending me (or posting) some good photos of him?

--------

Update:

I've now had a further offer of fostering between now and mid January. (But that home has kids, so I'm not sure whether it's the best idea - I've let them know now that there have been issues with kids in the past).

I understand what you have already said but the only option you really have is to get a trainer/behaviour expert help. They will be able to come and see the situation for themselves and will know the best method for you and your family.

If I could, I would offer to take him on and help with the problems your having but I have far too much going on right now but would still like to help you.

I know of two methods which could help you but without knowing the full details of his body language, etc I wouldn't want to advise

What sort of situations are you looking at getting the body language from as I don't feed him from his bowl now so can't get one for that.

Normally one I notice is the look in his eyes change and his ears go back, thats when you know he's unhappy and about to grumble.

when he went for me in his crate I dint notice any, maybe his eyes changed but i didnt see. I think that situation happened because I had a treat in my hand and i went out of normal routine and stroked him. their was no growling he just went for me turning his head when I stroked his head.

when he used to be fed in his bowl he was always made to sit and wait for the go signal to be able to eat, which he did brilliantly, once he was eating, if i stood by his ears'ud go back slightly and he'd growl, it would carry on and get louder until I moved away. If i stroked him (his back)he would growl but after a time he would stop as he realised i was only stroking him, if i went closer to his head he's start up again.

His growling during food made it impossible to remove the bowl, he'd ignore all commands to stop or sit etc. I tried moving it with a broom handle once and he got more aggressive. I have not tried it since and that is when I started feeding him by hand.

He is making progress with that, making eye contact, doing as I ask eg sit, lie, paw etc sometimes may take more than one ask but it's working.

He never tried to pinch food from floor or people and is fine with his toys. I removed bones from the equation as he growled with them and went to hide them in the garden if you went near him, that or growl.

I can try and get some footage of how he reacts towards my husband as he seems to be quite growly around him on random occasions.

For these things, it's really tricky to give advice over the internet, besides the basic things, which have already been recommended and you are already doing. So definitely get some footage of him, not necessarily when he is behaving aggressively, but also of his usual demeanor.

I don't know if you've mentioned this before, have you had him since he was a puppy?

As for the videos, besides him behaving aggressively, I would also take some of his usual demeanour around people as there might be cues which could explain his odd behaviour towards your husband. What might appear as random to us may have good reason for him.

Finally, I think you definitely need some professional help. Over the internet, it's really hard to determine the extent of the problem and figure out the right solution for it, even for a trainer/behaviourist.

I have to agree with persephona it's hard to help without seeing the behaviour. And to add in all honesty even by seeing a video it will be difficult as there could be minor little things that we don't see in the video that could be a big factor in the dogs behaviour.

Plus we don't know anything else about your dogs, you and your families lifestyle as this could also be a factor.