9 month pup crying at dawn each morning

allen

No one is saying it's not possible. It's possible that you could keep him in a closet or an attic - but it probably won't produce the friendly dog you want.

Why is he whining in the morning - simple, you're his pack and he's been separated from you for let's say 8 - 10 hours - he's lonely. As I said earlier, you might be able to break him of the whining - but you're going to do it at the expense of part of his personality.

Now, excuse me, you're 23 - if you're out with him "throughout the day" what does he do while you're at work / school? (I'll grant that at 23 you might still be in school) How much time - one on one - does he actually get during the 24 hour day? My dogs live with me (I'm going to step on one if I stand up quickly!), they go with me when I go places - whether that's into town to get groceries or into the city to visit the doc. They are not - and should not be - something that's there for the time we think it's convenient to spend some time with them.

If you think I'm wrong, come up with a better reason for his whining - then we can work on that .....

I completely agree with everything said here. Huskies were breed to work for people and raised to be part of a family. I can not even imagine leaving my dogs outside alone for the night and I own 2 so they wouldn't be lonely. My dogs are in the house when they are not supervised outside and when it's bedtime they sleep upstairs with their family. Sorry, just my opinion. Why get a dog and leave it outside? Maybe you should have done more husky personality research?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah i researched plenty. i don't want to have the dog inside cause i just don't. i want him to be an outdoor dog. but also do you think it could be due to his food? i feed him innova the purple bag. roughly about a handful and a half twice a day. around 7-9am and 3-5pm. sometimes he even cries and whines even when I'm outside with him. playing with him for like a few minutes than he goes toward the gate and cries.

if u want him to b an outdoor dog then get him another dog for company it dosnt have 2 b a husky ..just some company .....being the owner of a husky is different than owning any other dog ...thats the way it is ...if u accept this commitment u will have an enjoyable time with him

Hello Allen,

It sounds like you are having a tricky time. I know a lot is being said about huskies needing company and I do agree (we just got our 2nd as we never wanted Teeko to be an only dog) but I, personally, would say make sure that you are totally happy with your ccurrent dogs training and behaviour before you get a second.

We got Teeko as a puppy and he spends time alone at least 4 days a week as both me and my partner work. I work close by and come home every lunch time and my partner works varying shifts so time alone. And time of day alone, can vary. Dealing with separation anxiety takes a lot of work and a lot of patience and results won't be quick. We have been lucky. The day after we brought teeko home I spent the entire day working on him spending time alone...using much of the techniques mentioned here.

Keeta shows no separation anxiety with us but she was going ballistic when teeko when on walks without her. We have been working on this for 2 weeks. Providing treat balls to amuse her, taking teeko in and out....starting at seconds only then leaving for longer and longer....and it will still need to be worked on for a while yet though we have seen a massive improvement (i returned from teeko's walk today and she was in her bed just looking about, not fussing or sleeping....just chilling).

My point is that it is going to take time. A long time. At 9 months old your boy will have had 7 months of you coming to his cry and walking him. It is going to take more that a few weeks to reverse that. There is so much helpful advise here but remember to give it time. Don't rush out and get a second dog because this could just double your problem rather than fix it.

My dogs do live indoors as part of the family but I am certain there are people here with outdoor dogs who can give more advice on that. Take your time with training for separation anxiety and start with tiny, tiny baby steps!

Good luck!

so are you guys saying that it's not really possible to keep huskies as outdoor dogs? my dog lives in the backyard and i play with him throughout the day, its just the morning whining and crying that bothers me.

Of course you can keep them as outside only dogs, Phantom has never set a paw inside this house and never will. He also has a huge personality and is extremely friendly. To me it sounds like yours is getting plenty of attention throughout the day so you've got nothing to worry about there. I think the ignore method is the way to go and it will take some time to break such a long time habit (for both of you haha)

good luck with it!

nah i researched plenty. i don't want to have the dog inside cause i just don't. i want him to be an outdoor dog. but also do you think it could be due to his food? i feed him innova the purple bag. roughly about a handful and a half twice a day. around 7-9am and 3-5pm. sometimes he even cries and whines even when I'm outside with him. playing with him for like a few minutes than he goes toward the gate and cries.

Your problem maybe your puppy being hungry you need to set more of a feeding schedule with him it may help. One set time not in between times. Think about it this way say you had breakfast at 9 than ate dinner at 3 that is more than 12 hours till he gets food again in the morning. Also I agree you want an out door dog get him a playmate to keep him company. I just cant fathom Bellatrix not being in the house with me.

i have my dog on a schedule of 7am and 7pm for feeding. The crying still goes on in the morning like 6am. I come out to him when he is quiet but still goes on throughout the day. I bring him to the dog park to play for like an hour or two. bring him home and he is still walking around the backyard crying on and off. It's tough to do this every single day but does anyone know a cure for this problem?

Sounds like you have a puppy that is bored and lonely. I really recommend getting either another puppy or bringing him in the house. I know that you really are dead set against having him in the house but you should get him a friend. Remember that Huskies are pack animals and when you are not around him he feels lonely and separated from the pack. If you don't feel that you can provide him with all of his needs maybe you should look at alternate options for him. I am sorry to say hun but this may not be the breed of dog for you at all. Don't get me wrong I am not saying your doing everything wrong but they do have strong pack mentality and like to be around there pack all the time whether it be human or dog.

Take Bellatrix for example, if I leave the room she whines and cries until I am back in her site. If I leave her alone she is unruly. That is her pack mentality and cannot be broken. Just take what I have said into consideration.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

It's weird cause he still cries if I'm in the room also. Like this morning he cried and I waited till he was quiet and I let him in the house. I left the door open so he can go in and out and I was hanging around on the couch and he was still crying walking in and out. Then eventually went to sleep on the kitchen floor. Than he woke up walked outside and started crying again. I am in his presence and he still cries randomly. And it's not no regular cry. It's like a ghost wooooooo noise. I take him to th dog parkfor an hour and a half and go home. He continues to cry walking in and out of the house. It's very odd

It's like 630 am every morning he is awake and trying to howl. He also bites slippers at that time. I leave toys out for him but he only plays with toys when I'm around. Maybe he needs to get some ass and he will be fine. Anyone in San Jose ca with a female husky for my dog to mess with?

try neutering him.... it may make him happier and if your not planning on breeding then it will make you happier too!! i leave my baby from 8am- to 4pm m-f. he stays in his crate in my room( he seems calmer in my room)!! then when i get home he either goes out on his run until dark. about every other day i walk him around the block for some excersize. i don't do this everyday at the moment due to him still being young. on the weekend i try to take him to one of the many dog parks or to a friends house with a fenced in back yard. my yard will be fenced in about a month so soon he can run around @ home.:clap: also i have been looking into getting a outdoor kennel with the top enclosure to keep him in during the day to give him more room but i will only be doing this in the winter since i live in south louisiana!! @ night my baby is leashed up in the bed with me where he snuggles up and keeps me warm at night. we go to sleep between 9-11 and he wakes up when my alarm goes off @ 6:30 i feed him in his crate let him stay there for 20 also, on the weekends he tends to sleep in to around 9 as long as my bedroom door is closed and he isnt disturbed by the lights.. lol i give him those big meaty bones to chew on but he refused to chew them in his crate. i do suggest in getting another dog.... even thogh my parents refuse i will be looking into getting a rescue husky in the next year in and half ( as soon as Ty matures enough) i feel huskies get along better with other huskies same energy level and all.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FURBABY!!:cheerleader:I'LL BE ROOTING FOR YOU!

• 4 weeks later...

If you allow him to breed a bitch, it will just make him more interested in the future. Neutering would be a better solution, particularly given the number of dogs in need of homes out there - pure and mixed breed! I truly think he is lonely and perhaps bored. Having him inside with his "pack" would be a start, and training to help keep his mind busy and tired would also be a good way to accomplish this...

Even if i let him inside the house he is still doing the same thing. walking around whining and whimpering. I don't know about this pack thing being a situation for him because when i let him in the house there is no difference if he was outside alone. I don't want to neuter my dog because I just don't. So please stop suggesting I do. Lets move on from that option and suggest other options.

Thanks