How Do I Stop My Dog Pulling?

48 minutes ago, robke said:

A good one is walk your dog with love...just google it...

Robke: Do you have any suggestions for when they flip and roll with a front lead? 

He ignores treats, commands, and it happens the second there is any tension what so ever on his front.

I would really love to get him into something that is not around his throat. But everything I try, he just flips out.

1 minute ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Robke: Do you have any suggestions for when they flip and roll with a front lead? 

He ignores treats, commands, and it happens the second there is any tension what so ever on his front.

I would really love to get him into something that is not around his throat. But everything I try, he just flips out.

How about a front leading harness which has also got a top clip like the varifit from Indi dog so not all the pressure is on the front clip and use that for correction only...mine only need a short tug when my wife walks them...

1 hour ago, robke said:

How about a front leading harness which has also got a top clip like the varifit from Indi dog so not all the pressure is on the front clip and use that for correction only...mine only need a short tug when my wife walks them...

I was just on that site. LOL

I'll need to figure out how to walk him with two leash and still keep her on the other side... she may be ready for hands free.

Thank you

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Double ended (police) lead

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I will look for that too.

What a relief to see that there is a US site. LOL 

What does adjustments up and adjustments down mean? Not sure if which one I should do. Plus they are still growing, not sure if I should go a little bigger 🤔

I ordered an x back and had to return the boys. Never have received a refund or the corrected size. 

I will look for that too.
What a relief to see that there is a US site. LOL 
What does adjustments up and adjustments down mean? Not sure if which one I should do. Plus they are still growing, not sure if I should go a little bigger [emoji848]
I ordered an x back and had to return the boys. Never have received a refund or the corrected size. 
What are u looking into the vari-fit? How old are they , sid recommends a medium for pups and a large for adult sibes , down I order the x-back from sid? I would message her if u did

I ordered the x back from a different company located in Alaska. I need to dig up the email and tracking number and follow up again.

They are 9 months. Last weight (at 8 months) the boy 46 pounds and the girl 44 pounds. 

Dad was a little over 60 and mom was just below 60.

They just don’t look like they are that big but every time I measure and order everything comes in too small by the time I get it. 

I am looking at the custom harness and collar. I like the ones on the Pits on the home page.

13 hours ago, petertmartin said:

I've found a new solution to stop the pulling, I run with Harlow for a few kilometres or so then we walk and she's happy to walk close to me after the run emoji28.png a tired husky is a happy husky

LOL

The first 30 / 40 minutes is the craziest and then they seem to settle down. We will go for another hour after that.

We are slowly learning how to run 😂😓. Once we start jogging they get worse then if I just walk them and all commands are out the window and they scream at each other.  It’s actually quite funny but very frustrating at the same time.

I would like to get them into a harness for running but was told by the vet not to let them pull at all until about 16 months old because of growth plates. 

Every time a harness is on them or we start jogging they immediately go to the end of the lead and start pulling and jumping.

I am not worried about what people think seeing them do it, I am just worried about them hurting themselves.

Is it really going to hurt them if they are just pulling against the lead with me? Not being hooked up to anything.

I tried walk your dog with love for my biggest and strongest boy Luka blue.......It didn’t work. I’ve found lots of training, wait, easy now, etc and I’ve also found walking them together using a neckline so they can’t pull in opposite directions helps and a walking belt. For the first 20 mins of the walk I use an Indi-dog head harness, very soft and you connect it to your lead at the back of the head, easier on your fur babies than some others. It’s natural for husky’s to pull and they’ll pull more when they see squirrels or cats etc, what works for one doesn’t for another, it’s a case of finding what works for you. As they mature some say they pull less.........I’m hoping!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

• Like 1

Neckline is an absolute a no go with my two. LOL

They do better every day.

But the boy wore down his back left to nothing. Blood everywhere. 🤦🏽‍♀️ Then has a couple of broken in the front. So no walks for awhile.

I did let them in the back to play for a bit during their first snow storm 🌨 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I started working with Conan "heel" and focus on me when I got him, at 8 weeks. 

With lots of rewards and praise. 

I never had issues.

Also it helps because he knows that when he's on collar is heel walking time, when I put harness on him it's time for:

* Don't mind for beggining of the video, it was made for fun, we enourage him to pull of the road, to make video more fun :D 

He is actually very good at pulling. He knows musher comands, he'll never pull when not told to, and he stops when I say so.

• 1 year later...

My husky walks really well on leash. After a lot of trial an error, I have a method to cure the madness 

Leash commands: 

Basic leash commands are essential, short leash: we aren't stopping, medium leash: you can sniff, but we aren't taking hours to read the pee mail, long leash: relaxed, sniff what you'd like

When pulling, correct with a sharp clockwise turn. This brings your huskies attention towards you and what way you're going. In the beginning she will often bump into you, but as she starts to understand what you're asking, she won't bump into you, and then you say "good dog" and continue. 

Another way to check for attention is to stop quickly, you want the dog to stop with you. 

I dont recommend harnesses for regular walking (I use one when I use the command "work", but besides that just a regular collar). 

• 1 year later...

Train your dog to walk on a loose leash: Teach your dog to walk calmly on a loose leash by rewarding them for good behavior. Start with short training sessions in a quiet area, and gradually increase the difficulty as your dog improves.

Use positive reinforcement: Reinforce good behavior by giving your dog treats, praise, or toys when they walk on a loose leash.

Avoid rewards for pulling: If your dog pulls on their leash, don't move forward. Stand still or change direction to discourage the pulling behavior.

Train your dog to "heel": Teach your dog to walk close to you on a loose leash by using the "heel" command. Reward your dog when they follow the command.

Use a head halter or front-clip harness: These types of collars and harnesses can help discourage pulling by redirecting your dog's attention back to you.

Get professional help: If you're struggling to stop your dog from pulling, consider working with a professional dog trainer. They can help you develop a customized training plan for your dog.