ARGH!!!! FRIDGE!!!!!

Elyse

So. Here's a little 'fun' story.

I went away for reading week, but before I left I turned off the power bar because I didn't want a fire. I forgot the fridge was plugged into the power bar! :banghead:

2 days later, when I realize this, I text my floor RA (she's basically the person in charge of the floor) to ask if she can plug it in for me. She said she was gone already, but she'll ask one of her assistants to do it.

Low and behold, I come back from reading week (6 days later!) and the room smells really funky. Turns out, Mr. Asshole did NOT plug in the fridge. :mad:

I ended up having to throw out EVERYTHING in the fridge, so not only do I have to waste my valuable time to get new food, there's also frozen food I bought just before I left! :(

I also spent the last 3 HOURS cleaning the damn thing. Granted, its a small fridge/freezer combo, but I never cleaned one before.

I would have used something stronger, but the store on-campus only had Mr. Clean and bleach. Mom told me to not use bleach, and I don't have the time to go 'frolic' with Sudbury's crappy transit system to go to Canadian Tire.

There was mold everywhere.

Used Mr. Clean, because my Mom said using Bleach will ruin the plastic and is corrosive on hands. Used a total of 2 bottles of Mr. Clean (800mL) each...and I didn't dilute it!

And...guess what, IT STILL ******* STINKS! I cleaned EVERYTHING - the shelves, the walls, the ceiling, the door, the floor, etc, etc. It still reeks! :(

I think some of the smell is stuck in my clothes and my bedding, so tomorrow I have to wash ALL of my clothes, my bedding, and spray a billion galleons of febreeze into the air.

:banghead:

...and, to put icing on the cake, I have a midterm tomorrow that I was SUPPOSED to be studying for...but I had to clean out my ******* fridge because Mr. Asshole didn't plug it in.

:mad::mad::mad::cry1:

Baking soda in the fridge helps a lot, but if you have a Fields (or even a dollar store!) nearby, try to find some air sponges (or similar product. You can usually find them for a buck or two, though places like Crappy Tire and Wal-mart will usually sell them for more. But the point is - THEY WORK GREAT, even the cheap knock-off brands.

They look like this:

Airsponge4.jpg

Great - thanks! When I'm out today, I'll look for one of those. Thanks Ravenwolf !

The Mr. Clean seemed to get the smell away, and it certainly cleaned the fridge, but now the room smell so STRONGLY of Mr. Clean, its starting to smell like a freshly baked lemon meringue pie. At least it doesn't smell like rotten food and mold anymore.

I ALSO have to do laundry today, when I have to do a lab that's due tomorrow (procrastinated a little. Guess that's my fault.) because ALL my clothes, my bedding, and things around the fridge smell like...ugh. Laundry's expensive, too. They charge $1.25 for each load of laundry for the washer machines (they run for 30ish minutes), then another $1.25 for the dryers (they run for 50 minutes.) I'd have to do like at least $20.00 worth of laundry! The dryers really SUCK as well...they either dry your clothes so much they shrink...or they don't dry at ALL and they're still wet when you take them out.

Sigh.

Great - thanks! When I'm out today, I'll look for one of those. Thanks Ravenwolf !

The Mr. Clean seemed to get the smell away, and it certainly cleaned the fridge, but now the room smell so STRONGLY of Mr. Clean, its starting to smell like a freshly baked lemon meringue pie. At least it doesn't smell like rotten food and mold anymore.

I ALSO have to do laundry today, when I have to do a lab that's due tomorrow (procrastinated a little. Guess that's my fault.) because ALL my clothes, my bedding, and things around the fridge smell like...ugh. Laundry's expensive, too. They charge $1.25 for each load of laundry for the washer machines (they run for 30ish minutes), then another $1.25 for the dryers (they run for 50 minutes.) I'd have to do like at least $20.00 worth of laundry! The dryers really SUCK as well...they either dry your clothes so much they shrink...or they don't dry at ALL and they're still wet when you take them out.

Sigh.

I forgot to add you can put one in the fridge, but they'll really make a difference if you put them out in the room instead.

Ah, your last paragraph really takes me back - I remember the days of dorm and using the crappy laundry machines that have been there since the '70s! At my university we had a 24 hour computer lab, and I remember spending many a night working until 3:00am to finish a paper in time!!

For clothes you're worried about shrinking you can do this - get a collapsible laundry rack for your room and hang your delicate clothes to dry. Not only does it save you some money, but your nice clothes will last longer.

So - it still stinks. Even after I put bowls of baking soda inside.

Now that I sorta have free time today, after my classes, I shall clean my whole fridge using vinegar. You don't have to rinse the vinegar out when you're done, right? Because rinsing the Mr. Clean afterwards was a pain in the butt cause I don't have a bucket...