Advise needed with fright/flight

robke

I need some advice from you all. But first some background on Alpha. He is a rescue dog 20 months old been with us now for 2 months and before that was in kennels for 2 months. The info I have on the previous owner is not much but is a strange story: they had him from a pup but when he started acting up, he destroyed the whole living room and I mean everything, they tought it would be a good idea to crate him for most of the day..:jawdrop: .that did not work offcourse because when he was out he misbehaved. So they did the next best thing (so they tought) and got them selves another Husky a 6 year old male..all went well at the beginning but then after a while they both went on the rampage...so both of them ended up in the kennels .... (we could only rescue Alpha sorry...) now to his problem He is scared and i mean scared of people outside the house ...he just wants to run away.... ears are upright but backwards tail is straight back (not between he legs).. I am trying everything even Bindi helps a bit.... I know, hope, that this is something that will pass but you never know there might be people out there that might be able to give me pointers so that this will pass sooner rather than later...otherwise he is a smart cookie even learning all his commands in English.

My Little Nel is terrified of anything outside the house so I understand what you mean. Everytime we see something that scare her we stop and stand still until it has passed then carry on like nothings happened. I found this was easier than trying to drag her one way while she was pulling the other :P Other times if I can see something coming up that I know she will be scared of I speed up saying 'come on, come on' and she will start to run along side me excited, that way she doesn't even notice whatever we've just passed.

Good luck :)

do you have any1 who can help - come and visit you to talk to you - and ignore alpha - but throw him a treat when he is calm around them - let him come to them?

At home there is no problem..it is only outside and then not even at the doggy training school...at home calm as anything....

Will def. try that but the running bit I think I will leave as I am walking with the 2 of them and they will go like lightning then as we have just started training with the scooter......

Will def. try that but the running bit I think I will leave as I am walking with the 2 of them and they will go like lightning then as we have just started training with the scooter......

:dog3: hehe

I also bought a CD off ebay (was only a few quid) that has loads of different sounds on it, we play it whenever we can and it just helps to get her used to all the different noises outside the house

At home there is no problem..it is only outside and then not even at the doggy training school...at home calm as anything....

maybe ask people not to look at her or speak to her or touch her and then when shes calm u can throw her a treat so she realises strangers bring rewards